don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    v-v This has turned into Sonic 4 Mega-thread #2.
    Why must almost every 2D fan-game like this be compared to Sonic 4 or something else? The two have no relation to each other, so just drop it. :/

2. The relation is simply that this fan project looks MILES better than what Sega, a huge company is giving us with their supposed "classic rebirth" with Sonic 4.

People expected more out of Sega with that game (since, ya know its the next game in the series what is considered the BEST of Sonic), and the reactions to these fan games is fans saying that Sega's next Sonic game should be better than a simple fan project.

Thats all.

On that note, this game is looking beautiful, and is getting heavy recognition from gaming websites as well! Fantastic job!

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    WHY is he still a trial member? For crying out loud, he's gotten more press outside of Retro than pretty much anything else. At all.

Also, is the whale crashing into the bridge still going to be included? I was just curious.

4. Robochao

Robochao

People's expectations. Of course large scale fan-projects will be compared to actual products! :ssh:

5. Sonic Megamix can't be THAT forgotten, can it?

6. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I was wondering about the whale as well, I hope he includes it again cuz it looked super beautiful with it. I can't stop watching the video :3 it's so amazng!

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I like how the OP never posts here unless needed for updates or something. Most people would lash back at all comments and all hell would break loose. If only more were like him :v:

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This is a great effort for a fan game. The physics are looking promising. The art is much to be desired but ok. My only real criticism with this fan game is the fact that it's a remake. It's a bit of a wasted opportunity considering all the other plus sides to it.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    That might be a way to keep the hype to a minimum level.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I"m just worried if my 512 MB laptop will be able to run thi---oh who am I kidding.

I look forward to watching playthroughs of this game, or any footage of it.

11. Mahdi

Mahdi

Are you for real? Flowers, palm trees and grass have always been in sonic games. Same with the totem pole things. With this fan game, however, these objects stick out even more and are very lushly detailed. Also, a lot of people are complaining about the graphics being too nice when they say that it's over detailed. The high level of scenery detail goes very well with the overall theme, and the action can easily be followed. Seriously, this video released so far is just 100% great in almost every way, and it's surprising that there are so many people (blog comments, etc) that are hating on this.

Pelikan13, you said your machine is midrange..can you please post your PC specs? Can you also talk a bit about your design techniques or what other software you use? Thanks

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

GamesRadar made an article about this fangame and how it looks better than Sonic 4.

13. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    This won't end well.

14. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Just wondering, but how long has this guy been working on this fan game?

Even though this looks better than Sonic 4...I rather wait till we get a demo or something. I gotta agree though the level detail is a bit...much, especially for a 3D side scroller, but I think this is the first time I've seen anyone put so much work on a side scroller...I think.

EDIT: Well, there's Braid, but that's a 2D side scrolling game. Eh, the game still kick ass anyways.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That's subjective and you know it. There are going to be people that like one over the other, or maybe, god forbid, like both, but the fact still remains that there are plenty of things both games could do to have a better physical appearance. Most of what I'm seeing as praise for this is people being drawn to shiny objects and the fact that it doesn't have a 4 in the title.

I also highly doubt comparing products like this is going to have a positive effect on anything because it will likely only piss Sega off.

16. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Nevermind the fact that this game looks like fucking sex (blue sex, but still sex), while S4 uses cel shading and cardboard cutouts for its background.

The 'shiny-ness' isn't necessarily why I'm saying this either. Its the pure fucking depth of that background.

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I think it more has to do with how S4 looks like a cellphone game. No one gives a shit if you don't like the art style this fangame is using, it's undeniable that it had more effort put into it to produce these results.

[​IMG]

The characters have texture detail, and shading in the fangame. In S4 they are solid colors with no lightsource.

[​IMG]

The fangame has detail in the textures, and a light source. S4 is just noise filter textures, no light source, and doesn't tile properly.

[​IMG]

Flowers should not give off lens flare, which the fangame creator understands.

18. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    That flower in Sonic 4 looks like it has a ring on it though, so a lens flare is kind of understandable. Just... maybe not that much.

19. pelikan13

pelikan13

well this video was captured at 1280x720 running on this http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn...DUCT_ID=1081438 at high settings it run at around 60 fps and droped at some points to 40-45 fps or so, you can disable shadows which gives the game a big performance boost though..

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Pelikan, who produced the music in the gameplay video?