don't click here

Anyone here remember their first Sonic Game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dan Genesis, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would have been Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System 2 I think it was. I couldn't tell you what age I was as I honestly can't remember. It was the 1st time I had even heard of Sonic so I was a little curious about it. I think it was maybe even the 1st game I ever completed. I remember the Chaos Emerald in Labyrinth Zone always gave me trouble, just of because of where it was.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I have vague memories of playing Sonic 1 on an in-store kiosk and not really paying much attention to it. It was only for a couple of minutes, anyway.

My first real memory was New Years Eve, 1991. My Mom had me pretty late in her life - my brother is 14 years older than I am, for instance, so by the time I was 6 or 7 in 1991, he was already an adult.

Some sort of "adult" movie was on TV that night; Citizen Kane, some horror movie about killer electronics and some cousins around my brother's age were over to sit down and watch it with my Mom and brother. The point is, it was the kind of movie that a 7 year old should not watch, so I was essentially told to go play with my toys in my room until it was over, but that didn't last long.

My brother, for Christmas that year, had gotten a piece of "stereo equipment" called a Sega Genesis. Or at least, I thought it was stereo equipment - it was electronic, with all kinds of weird buttons and headphone jacks and a volume slider. My brother's room was an off-limits zone for me, so once he took it in there, it essentially vanished and I never thought about it ever again.

As a family we had bought our first NES in 1989 or so, with Super Mario Bros. I knew what a videogame was and I enjoyed it immensely. So here we are, New Years Eve 1991, I'm a kid and clearly bored but they don't want me interrupting their movie or whatever. So I'm taken in to the forbidden zone of my brother's room, sat down infront of the Sega Genesis, and they turn on Sonic the Hedgehog.

And I'm blown away. Though I can't beat Marble Zone, the game captivates me. It's all I can talk about for hours after I stop playing.

And I never play it again. It was locked away in my brother's room, and that doesn't matter because a few weeks later, he moves out, and takes the Genesis with him. But I wanted more. This may actually be what developed my intense interest in Sonic the Hedgehog - wanting to play the game more and being constantly denied. As a result, I dedicated a pretty large portion of my childhood to finding ways to play Sonic. A few minutes here and there on store kiosks or at a relative's house. I never felt like I had played enough to be satisfied, so I continued looking for a way to play more.

The Christmas after my brother moved out, my Mom got me a new game console. She got me a SNES. I tried not to look disappointed, but I couldn't help it. "I thought you liked Mario?" she told questioned. "I do," I said, "But I really want to play more Sonic."

By now Sonic the Hedgehog 2 hit store shelves, and the "Mascots with Attitude" fad was beginning to heat up, so I spent two years hunting out SNES games that filled the Sonic niche. Games like Bubsy, and Rocky Rodent. After a Gamepro article described the Twinbee SNES platformer as "like Sonic the Hedgehog," I pined for a US release that never happened.

By the time I was memorizing a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 strategy guide despite not owning the game, my Mother obliged and bought me my own Sega Genesis for my Birthday with both Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. The rest is history!

3. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    1991, Sonic the Hedgehog in the Sega Master System. How could I forget? It came with the Master System!

I guess I told the story of the circunstances at least three times in these boards, so I can't be bothered to write everything down once again, and I don't remember the threads to copy and paste from them either.

Then we (me and my older brother) rent Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SMS) in the local blockbuster at the year of 1992, some weeks after the brazilians Children's Day (October 12th), and we used to rent it regularly every weekend, until I was gifted with the 16-bit version of the game along with my Sega Mega Drive in the night of my birthday (December 16th) in 1992. Good times, good times. I remember how we thought we were done for in the ending of Underground Zone's Act 3, how we didn't know how the hang-glidder worked, and when I first reached Aqua Lake Zone by myself...

I then got Sonic 1 16-bit at some point after I had my Mega Drive, but I don't remember exactly when. So yeah, for all extents, I started with Sonic 1 regardless.

4. Sonic 2 was the first one I owned (the first game I ever personally owned), and Sonic 1 was the first game I ever saw, at my brother's friend Ari Nakisa's house.

5. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    I never had a console growing up.

Played Sonic 2 on a friend's console, and that was my introduction. Maybe I was 7-8 at the time. Couldn't get past the Aquatic Ruins—kept drowning. Got Sonic 3&Knuckles when it came out for the PC, and played the everliving shit out of it, followed by 3D Blast when that came out.

I got around to playing the other games through emulators, relatively recently.

6. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I've related this story several times before, but Sonic Spinball was the first Sonic game I played; I didn't have a Genesis (or any video game console, for that matter) at home, so I always played it at my aunt and uncle's house -- it was the only Sonic game my uncle had, and back then it was the only one I knew the existence of (until I found a Sega catalog in one of the game cases and discovered the existence of Sonic CD). After he traded the Genesis for a PlayStation, I wouldn't get to play another Sonic game until Sonic Advance.

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    My first Sonic game was Sonic 2 and I'll never forget how incredibly fun it was. When I was about 4/5 yrs old, I kept begging my older brother to let me play, and he finally let me play as Tails while he played as Sonic. It is one of my most memorable experiences of my life.

8. TheRegan

TheRegan

I wish I could remember that far back, but I wasn't born when we got the genesis, though I would guess it would have been Sonic 1 or 2 because I doubt my parents would have bought my brother Sonic 3 until it got cheap. The earliest thing I remember about the games themselves is freaking out in the second act of Hydrocity Zone because the wall started moving.

9. Sonic 2. My dad and I shit our pants collectively at the Moebius Strips in Emerald Hill Zone.

10. NTICompass

NTICompass

Slamma Lamma Ding Dong Member
    When I was 6, my dad bought me a Sega Genesis (Model 2), and it came with Sonic 2. I remember playing it, and getting stuck at Oil Ocean, every playthrough.

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Sonic CD, 1994. I played it with my cousin who hogged the controller.

12. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Oh god, my first...

It was either Sonic Heroes or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. All I know is that either game got me hooked on the series. :P

13. First game I played was Sonic 1 on my neighbour's Mega Drive, can't remember how old I was but I was hooked. Demanded that my Mum was going to buy me a Sonic.

That was when I got Sonic CD... so much memories! Thus begun my Sonic The Hedgehog Obsession.

14. Kiajinn

Kiajinn

is a Badnik Battery Member
    Sleeping Egg Zone
    16 Bit: Sleeping Egg Zone (Sonic Chaos)
    Sadly yes! Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive when I was like eight.
    I could never get past that bit with the spikes and moving hills in Green Hill Zone Act 2. Fail!

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sonic 2 at my cousin's house was my first Sonic experience, my mom bought for me the Game Gear games though which I didn't really care for. The first Sonic game I willfully bought was Sonic Adventure 2, however. I guess you could say I spawned from the same camp as the Shadow-loving furry drones, but after I bought Mega Collection I came to realise just how much higher quality the older games were, I still love the Adventure games though.

16. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    first played: sonic 2 Genesis
    first owned: Sonic 2 Game Gear

Grew up with Sonic on the Game gear and didn't get the genesis until after its generation was already over, but before getting a Game Cube and SA2B. The Dreamcast soon followed with SA1, I would then wind up getting SADX once it got released.

Latest sonic game I got was Sonic Chaos MS on Wii Ware

17. Chuck D Head

Chuck D Head

The Dead Zone
    Semi-Super Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    I first played Sonic 1 in my grandma's basement in early '92. That year I got my own Sega with Sonic 2 and I haven't quit playing since

18. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    My first Sonic game was Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive, in the summer of 1992 when I was 5 years old. It was the first game my parents got with the console and was the first 16 bit game I'd ever seen. Prior to getting the Mega Drive I used to play my parents' Atari 2600 a lot, which was the only console we had before the Mega Drive - so you can imagine how amazing Sonic looked to me, I'd never seen anything like it. At first, my mum was the one who used to play Sonic the most (I wasn't brave enough for some reason, probably because it was so different to what I'd played before), but once I started playing it a lot I couldn't stop.

19. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    Sonic 1 in 1991. Got it with my Genesis. Changed my life forever! :specialed:

20. I had Sonic 1, 2, and 3 as a kid, no Knuckles though, so I sort of assumed those were the only Sonic's, eventually I discovered Sonic 3D blast on the Saturn and Sonic and Knuckles, and, well, you can tell which one of those I was disappointed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.