don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Ken Balough confirmed that at E3.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Really? Didn't know that, thought they were only doing the title screen.

Still, they rehashed the animation in the title screen. Nothing original as usual.

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Wait what? I now relised something.
    How the hell did Jun Senuoe couldn't get a hold on a genesis soundfont, but he got a shitty sonic 2 drums to use in his song? That's a complete fuckload of bullshit! Lazy Jun :argh: !

4. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    To be fair he seems busy, it's to my knowledge he scored Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Free Riders. Then consider Sonic 4 has multiple episodes and he's scoring those too along with other projects and you have one busy musician.

I think the music still could be better since it sounds like the songs all each use the same few instruments when they sound like they would be so much better with different instruments playing the songs. That was one thing I hoped they changed in the time...

5. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Animating the title screen is nice, but it still doesn't fix the problems I had with it in the first place: Sonic's goofy smile and his arm being rotated like something out of a flash cartoon. The pre-rendered title screens in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles weren't the most attractive things in the world, but at least they kept his hand in proper perspective (even if his arms were stiff).

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Haha, I can't believe I didn't notice this in the past. The vertical orange flippers in CSZ knock Sonic into a ball as you'd expect, but it's the jumping ball instead of the rolling one (same goes for those springs you have to charge up). When Sonic goes off of a ramp like that he stays in that form rather than uncurling. Why are there two kinds of rolling, and why with the jumping animation does he always rotate at the same speed?

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I like the fixes made to the running and the title screen, pretty nice additions. However Splash Hill is still overloaded with dashpads, which is pretty disappointing.

8. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    >_> Personally, now I think it takes too soon to hit blurry feet. I kinda liked Sonic's jogging.
    Edit: I also remember people wanting to see changes in that there was more gravity(Sonic being to light and floaty or something). That didn't happen, apparently.

9. glem3

glem3

Okay, I'll list the things I noticed now:

- Animated title card

- Animated title screen

- Quicker acceleration

- New running animation

- Jump looks like it doesn't go as high (or isn't as floaty) but maybe that's just me

- At the start of act 3 you can see that the background is different, they've added in some indents and whatnot in the checkerboard wall

Personally, I think the new running speed makes things look MUCH better. We didn't see it all that much, but when he hits max speed everything just seems much smoother. I don't know, just reaching the top speed really made a difference for me. And the timing is perfect, IMO. A couple seconds on the ground and you get into it, it works well. Yeah, the animated card isn't fully framed and there are still boost pads, but we saw very little of the actual levels. This is the new build but not the final, at least according to ruby.

Edit: Oh, and about the "no level design changes!" we know there are changes to levels other than LLZ act 2 and CSZ act 2. Ruby said they would be slowing down the wall in LLZ act 3 and changing the wall in MGZ act 3 to a giant drill. Those are just some of the things we know of, but I'm sure there'll be more.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I suggest that people should make level editors for Sonic 4 as soon as they can, so we can get versions of the levels with better enemy placement and much less dashpads. The other stages are bearable but Splash Hill is just grating with it's overabundance of automation.

Also, I hate to nitpick, but why can't Sonic's jumping animation look just like his rolling animation? Keeping it to a ball shape (and the animation speed depending on the player's speed) would make jumping look much smoother.

11. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

LOL who is this tool ass motherfucker singing?

12. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Lol, did anybody else notice Jun's keyboard was set incorrectly when he started playing? So funny watching him awkwardly adjust it while still playing. xD

Fair play to the lad though, he saves it.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

I prefer the synth used in that video to the one used in the actual game.

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I thought for a minute that they fixed the Plash Hill bgm, but then I realized it was just Jun playing. :(

Uncurling and boosters are still glaring problems that I never even thought were going to be fixed in the first place, so I'm not at all surprised. That Sonic 1 title screen homage made me smile though.

15. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The "jumping" animation actually rotates at different speeds during pinball segments, but when jumping it doesn't seem to change.

Also disagree with the sentiment another poster expressed with regards to keeping the jump animation to a ball like the rolling animation. Personally, I think that would look terrible. I prefer the "rolled up" look... it just needs to look ballish enough to look right, as opposed to the SA2-type animation, where Sonic's head sticks out like a bloody sausage.

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher

Ooo. I kinda like the synth choice when Jun got his keyboard to play the one he wanted. It does fit the level a lot more than the other synth he chose for the game. It doesn't work everywhere though, but it's nice to hear something familiar to his work from the days of Sonic Adventure. But haters are gonna hate anyway, so whatever.

But that vocalist needs a new voice box, augh.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

I was so distracted by Jun's wrong notes and the other guy's singing that I didn't register what I was seeing on the screen at first. It's neat that they added an animation for the intro ala Sonic 1, which was something I did expect, but the animated title card, that was an extra that I don't really care about...more so because that part of the card happens with Sonic Rush as well. Although it shows that Sonic 2 still contains many superior elements like the Title Cards and Special Stages. I hope from Episode 2 and beyond, the lamp posts will lead to bonus stages. I think my favorite method of special stage entry is Sonic 3K. You don't have to worry about 50 rings, but you have the return of the Giant ring. I'm hoping they have come up with something more original for later episodes too. From my guess, there will be 3 episodes because of the wallpaper layout on the Sonic 4 website. One has the Sonic 4 Ep 1 logo and the other two are still hidden.

18. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Also not finding genesis sounds isn't a reason to use dying cats. Use proper guitar instruments.

And why cant sega just release a better physics version, and give a $2 downloadable patch every time there's a major update, and also update the main DLC game on the wiiware. There, now the physics can be genesis style and everyone would be happy.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like the title screen animation they added, although it could have been a lot smoother they just didn't want to do anything D:

As for the title card animation though, that's unneeded. Looks way too tacked on. But it's nice that Sonic goes into Wheel-o-feet much faster now.

20. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Hahhahahah holy shit, was that really Jun Senoue playing the keyboard? He was hitting wrong notes just about everywhere. BLUOONG! PLINK! DEEUNG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.