don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Whee~

Hey, feel free to ring me up when you decide to add Knuckles. :X

EDIT: Actually, screw it, here you go

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also used a darker shade of orange for the GHZ sunflower. I think it looks better this way. So that's another suggestion. :eng101:

2. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    It's not a bug. It's a FEATURE! [/tweaker]

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I just got a crazy idea, what if this hack was use as a Base for the Sonic 4 hack? it already has the bases of all 4 bosses used in it.

4. Just finiched this with all the Chaos Emeralds collected before Scrap Brain Zone.... allthough I was a little dissipointed by the end of the Death Egg zone that after that the continue button only repeated that zone... and there be no Level select outside of cheatin... :(

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I was under the assumption that someone will eventually do this, though I don't think using this hack as a base is a good idea. It's crammed to the brim as it is.

6. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Thanks for all of your comments so far. The number of "now add Sonic 3 & Knuckles" requests was even higher than I expected (and believe me, I was braced for impact!), but after filtering those out there was still a lot of useful feedback. And, as a result of that feedback, here's Revision 1. There's nothing particularly exciting: just the more obvious bugfixes and some minor art improvements. The full list follows below the download link. Any SRAM saves from the previous version will be compatible with this one.

++Download++

Bugs that have been fixed:

Rolling past the end of MCZ1 causes you to fall to your death
    Tails doesn't go to SBZ3 after the SBZ2 cutscene
    Tails can activate giant rings instead of Sonic
    Can fall inside slope at start of LZ3
    Fast music from speed shoes continues after the level finishes
    Cycling palettes in SBZ2/4 are wrong for pink diamonds in background and Robotnik's energy wall
    Sonic 1 special stage sometimes reappears briefly with wrong palette after exiting

Art changes:

Changed Jaws from blue to red
    Improved Tails' underwater colours
    Changed the green Newtron's eye from red to yellow
    Bumper and searchlights at top of SYZ3 use Sonic's blues when available (instead of pink)

7. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Okay, what. What kind of wizardry did you pull out of your ass to do this one? Does load different patterns when it comes on screen? Is it a weird palette translation trick? Granted, it's not completely full-proof, but man, the fact that you were able to do it at all... good work!

Many thanks for implementing my suggestions and for all the bugfixes. There's something immediately accessible to this hack that makes me wanna go back and play it, you know?

Eagerly awaiting the addition of Knuckles in one or two years. :X

8. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    The first time round, I gave up on this change as impossible, but when I had another look at it I realised that there wasn't anything stopping me from doing the same thing with art as with palettes - swapping them in and out as the player moves through the level. It doesn't work quite as smoothly as for palettes because I can't use HBlank, but it should only be noticeable if you actually go looking for it (as you obviously have!)

No, thank you. :v:

9. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Fuck. Yeah.

10. Random Number

Random Number

I am loving where this is going. I have always wanted a combination of sonic 1 and 2 in one game. This makes me almost want to burst into tears.

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Colin, you rock, that's all there is to say

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I found a bug. I don't know if this was in the original version or not, because I didn't play to this point.

I entered a starpost special stage in LBZ3, with invincibility, underwater and it crashed before loading the special stage. Screenshot here - [​IMG]

13. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Hmm, not sure about that one. I've just tried it multiple times, with and without invincibility, and I can't reproduce it. Which emulator are you using?

14. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'm using Kega Fusion. I'll see if I can recreate it myself tomorrow.

15. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    Been playing through this for the past couple of days. Always wanted to play a seamless Sonic 2 in Sonic 1-style hack and it's a job well done imo.

Not sure if it's been mentioned (I did do a search, but nothing came up), but there's a small section of Marble Zone 1 right near the signpost where I jumped over a flaming platform and the rom crashed. I played through it again but it didn't happen again so I dismissed it. However, it happened again while I was playing through MZ1 on the Arena Mode. Dunno if you're aware of it but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Ok, I tried to recreate that bug I mentioned before, to no avail. Guess it was a one off.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Aha, Nice going man! I'm pleased to announce that the "freezing on HW in act 2 of GHZ" bug doesn't occur in that same place anymore, however, unfortunately is does occur in other places randomly but not all the time.

18. Suppose this answers what happens with Regen =P

The vertical spikes in GHZ 3, the bottom 'path' if you will, act all weird, if you have invincibility you float up on them. Besides that and the locking up, I like! :)

19. ReL0aDed

ReL0aDed

Awesome hack, I never thought I would live to see something like this happen :)

I'm not so much into hacking, but would it somehow be possible to port the level-select screen from Sonic 3 to this hack? Imagine those small pictures featuring each zone in the level-select screen, just like Sonic 3 introduced. That would be awesome imo.

In my opinion it would only be weird if you entered the story of Sonic3&K after Death Egg is being destroyed in Sonic 2's ending; Sonic3&K's gameplay is way too different to somehow being included in this hack (I know that this already has been discussed throughout this topic, just my two-cents).

Just ignore the suggestion below; it's just me thinking loudly about wild stuff :rolleyes:

----

I don't believe in magic; but wouldn't it be something with a level-select zone like the one found in Sonic Advance 3, and reward exploration by hiding something like chao's in each zone? Imagine the bonus stages being unlocked after collecting all the hidden chaos of each zone, like in Sonic Advance 3? :v:

----

20. Just had a go at this, and I noticed there's some Super Sonic sprite glitches when running. Also when using FFFFB1:000D to get all thirteen Chaos Emeralds the game still believes you need to use the Special Stages (via starposts and giant rings) when it shouldn't. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.