don't click here

Official "Zone Builder" Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by saxman, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    So is this what ProSonic has morphed into? I know that it had a level editor that looked very similar to this.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Can you provide an example or two of what you want? I'm a tad bit confused as to what you're really requesting.

This is actually a completely different thing altogether, written from scratch. Mind you, I really think this thing blows the level editor in ProSonic right out of the water. I took the complaints people had over that editor and tried to do this one with all of the advice and suggestions in mind.

3. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I think what they mean is, instead of having to move tiles by 16x16 blocks, would it be possible to move them by 1x1 pixels? And maybe have a grid option set to that 1x1 pixel action?

4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I put up a video of the basic things that Zone Builder does so far. It's nothing super exciting. It basically demonstrates the "natural" feel of the FLOW system I created. Everything is very mouse oriented without requiring a whole lot of clicking. The video is currently in my signature, but here it is for reference (for when my sig changes)...

As usual, I'm looking for questions, comments, and general feedback. I like input. It helps in allowing me to improve my project in ways that I perhaps wouldn't see otherwise.

Also, the song doesn't really fit the video too well I realize, but it's a cheap and easy way for me to get it out there. It's me singing So In Love.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    This is actually very exciting, I see the "flow" you were getting at, it looks pretty smooth and easy to use from the video, nice work so far.

Also I'd like to point out off-topically: you have a nice singing voice (Or at least it sounds like you from what I've heard =P)

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    From looking at the video, it looks like the scrolling through the level goes pretty fast. Otherwise it's awesome though. =)

Got a question though: Will this be a static window like SonED2 or can you resize it or make it even full screen (and I mean by that not to stretch it, but to make more of the level visible)?

+ - And I want an high quality MP3 of your song. =P  

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Is there any chance of having a zoom that doesn't use the mouse scrollwheel? Some of us have laptops...

8. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    From the video, it looks like it's much easier to use than all this damn hacking information I was sifting through.

Probably a redundant question, but can you start from a blank level or do you need to load one from the ROM? And if you need to load one from the RON, is there something like a 'quick-select' menu for that? Like how each level would be a template you could load?

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Well the scrolling is controlled both by the distance between the mouse cursor and the center of the screen, as well as the left mouse button which makes it scroll much faster when pressed.

I am not sure how to go about changing the window size quite honestly, but I think it'd be a cool feature. I don't know if it'll be part of the program or not.

Oh, and + - http://www.4shared.com/audio/NEdWWS2g/So_In_Love_3__demo_2_r2_.html   =)

For that very purpose, I made the Page Up and Page Down keys do the same thing.

Right now you need an existing level. I could probably make a feature where you can start from scratch though.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I'm loving everything about this, even your sultry crooning. One thing, though- it seems that some zones have historically been much harder to work with than others, something Mystic bitched about quite extensively. His notes are very obviously not up to spec (the hack predates SonED2, even), but I assume some of this still rings true when I've never seen a level edit of Oil Ocean or Wing Fortress, and only about one or two for Metropolis. Will this program take any strides toward normalizing the difficulty in editing some of the more exotic zones, or is it something we'll just have to deal with?

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm not sure about Wing Fortress, but Oil Ocean is relatively easy to work with - as long as you remember to keep the oil on the bottom. Most of the tiles fit together nicely. The main problem is with making it look good and not too empty.

Does/will your engine allow infinite vertical scrolling? Because that is what will set it apart from any other when it comes to Metropolis.

12. If scrolling is controlled by the mouse, how are you supposed to get out of the window? Maybe if you hold CTRL + ALT let the Windows mouse appear and allow resize?

13. Will you be able to finish faster, if you had help? Don't get me wrong, you are working as hard as you can, and I can see why, but a project this big, should be a team effort. I'm good with QA Testing, but the only thing I don't like doing is reporting bugs and issues, especially when your application may have compatibility issues for a 64-bit Windows OS.

Tell you what, finish up making your alpha. And, if I find any app-crash errors when using it, I'll PM you what I found that can mess up one's work. Fair enough?

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Boy, do I have some bad news for you...

15. What now?

16. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    QA testing is 100% about bug reports and issues. So you're pretty much out of luck. :P

17. The only I don't like about it is going into detail about specific areas, okay? I remember Sonic QX crashing on me, while it was reading drum samples. And, I mean an app crash.

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That would be MMF's fault, which is impossible to debug. Lesson to anyone interested in designing a program -- don't use MMF if you really want something reliable!

I'd prefer to keep this program to myself for now. I don't want to sound like I'm hoarding stuff, even though that's exactly what it is and I'm totally shameless about it! It would be helpful to have help, but I don't think this project is too big for one person to handle. The real problem is finding the time to complete it. Lately, I've been getting a whole crap load of hours at work which I need to help pay off my car payment, and I have a girlfriend which having one demands a certain amount of my free time. So, basically I'm out of free time, but I'm trying to keep this a solo project.

You move the mouse outside the window! It's not locked to the window or anything.

19. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Wow... this looks pretty promising to me! The only thing I disliked about SonEd2 was the way I had to drag it to the bottom-right of the screen for it to work on Wine, so I'd be looking forward to a Mac OS X Port.
    The only request I have is to have PNG import support, since PCX support that preserves the pallet is non-existent except Paint Shop Pro, and once again, it won't run on Wine.

Good luck with this project, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.