don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    But it is a step in the right direction. Any suggestions towards making it look more like a door? I thought the gradient of the door was being discussed right now, so I didn't mention anything about making it look more like a door just yet.

2. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Well I think the shading off it doesn't help its design either. Its far too realistic and gritty. The highlights and shadows need to be distinct. I think the pressure gauge is an awesome idea though.

Here is the door I did back in May.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Now even though there is a texture kind of applied to the metal blocks, the highlights and shadow colors still have priority to it doesn't look out of place.
    I screwed up on the resizing of the sprite though, you can see how my highlight is jaggy when I sized it down.

3. I don't think we should have lava passing through the door. It doesn't make sense because the second the door goes down, it already has the red circles, even before any lava is present. MDM, while the door you created may suit the aesthetic more, the design itself is very bland, and the sheen looks very unnatural. I don't care if we use my idea or not, I simply want the best design.

In any event, I was curious what the one I was working on would look like in-game, I did it with MS paint as I am at work. The texture does look too realistic presently, I think.

[​IMG]

[edit]

Here is another one with less contrast

[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It still looks too much like a flat watch band, no matter how it's stretched.

Really, there's millions of other possible designs... Why try mimicking such an unrelated thing?

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It looks like shit and it doesn't make sense.

6. By all means, please submit a more related direction. I'm just being stupid I guess...

This is what turns people off from submitting. PLEASE Chimpo, show me what makes sense and isn't shit, TO YOU.

I'll just stop trying. Some of you people need to either step up, or else stop shitting on other peoples concepts.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Precisely. I tried to stress that it was at least a step in the right direction, and was something to build off of, because that's the kind of encouragement that draws new people in. But let's save this for another, more suitable topic, hmm?

I like MDM's example, but I feel like there should be less "lava windows". It makes the design seem far too busy.

EDIT: Come to think of it...substantive makes a good point. Although this is going to be debated till the ends of time, Personally, I don't think that's lava in the doors. It doesn't make sense. Even in the fantasy world of Sonic the Hedgehog, it doesn't make sense. Lava in a door? Why? I think it's far more likely that the lights are, in fact, warning lights. With this in mind, I can think of some very interesting interpretations of the door. Instead of a column of warning lights, why not just one big one? Why not have the caution tape stripings on it some place? I'd draw up a few examples myself, but I lack a scanner right now. Maybe if I can get a hold of one I can visuallize what I'm trying to explain here.

8. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    By the mighty Test Object shall I drop this off here:
    [​IMG]

9. He's right, though. It looks awful, and nothing like the original door in the least bit. Not to mention it really clashes with the rest of the HD assets.

10. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What if they're actually warning lights that were meant to designate that you're entering a "no going back" area/trap?

I've noticed a few times that when one of those doors close, it means something's going to happen (the rumbling and the floor moving up for eg.). So it's obviously Robotnik's idea to trap Sonic in, and hope the hedgehog gets squashed.

So maybe we should reflect the context as to why the door looks like it should - that it's an event that's going to happen to stop Sonic from escaping it.

So I was thinking more along the lines of warning lights flashing round? Perhaps we could change it to some kind of pulsating light spiraling around or something.

...But then again, they wouldn't close the danger area off AFTER Sonic's been through it (the other end of the 'hazard').

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well if you don't mind how crude the diagram is....

[​IMG]

Hopefully this gets my point across...and yes I understand lighting would be a pain. But this is what I imagine those doors as.

12. I too had envisioned it this way. I think you mean a version of this, ya?

[​IMG]

13. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Now that is a top down view of a standard siren correct?

Because, any way you go about the siren idea, I think it will need to be totally different from the sprite. That many sirens crammed on the door just isn't going to work design wise in reference to the sprite.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Yes Subsubstantive, you're absolutely correct.

And you are too MDM. I know the design of the door would have to be changed a bit, but as my crude diagram shows, I only intended for there to be 4 (maybe 5) sirens, not the 10 or so on the source material.

I think the ambiguity of what the source material is actually depicting would allow us to change this one small detail? I don't think we HAVE to have the exact same number of windows or lights or whatever they are on the final door.

side note: There is a topic where arguments like this can be had, buds...

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Never said yours wasn't a real concept son. I just said it was terrible in the most blunt form possible. Everything that can be said about the piece has been said. It looks like it came from a watch and it clashes with everything else. I have nothing nice to say about it and I don't think you can make it work.

I like the idea of having sirens on the door, but I don't like the fact that it replaces the lava tube and the number of them.

16. Why thank you for the constructive input Chimpo. I agree, it does look too much like a watch, but it was worth a try. For what its worth, some people did seem to like it. Personally, I would also like to see another direction. What do people think about the idea of removing the "segments" all together? Maybe it would be better if it looked like a solid piece, or what about if it even had a lever on the opposite side, which sprung up to reinforce it? Just ideas... I cannot wait to see, some "real" concepts others put forth, as very little has been done on this door in the last few months.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    That's an interesting idea, Chimpo. Why can't we have both? I've used up all my creativity today so I'm stumped, but I like where this is going. Can anyone think up an idea where sirens and lava tubes can work in peaceful, happy harmony?

@Sub: I was actually thinking about that myself, changing the door I mean. To be honest, the way the door is constructed now kinda seems like an afterthought on the developers behalves. I'm open to your idea of the solid door slamming down and a reinforcing bar slams up in front of it. Like I said, I can't really think up anything else new today. I spent the last 13 hours staring at Blender.

*ahem*: Yes I'd really like us to stop arguing. Let's all work together and tackle the next goal, eh?

18. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I'd like to submit these concepts for scrutiny. I thought those lights were just lights as eye-candy for the player. Warning lights, sure, but nothing fancy. Just some ordinary gray warning doors. And they're not as realistic to keep that cartoony/flash game look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately it's not rastar or vectorized...just PowerPoint concept. Here's the file for anyone who wants it

19. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I leave this thread for a couple days while I'm off doing other things and you all start mudslinging again. Ridiculous. What part of leave the drama at the door is so difficult to understand? If I had the power to close this thread for a couple days to let people cool down I would. And really, some of you should know better than to get into an insult war with one of the admins on here. From what I hear they don't take kindly to that. Tweaker, if you read this, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd do some housecleaning for the staff in this thread and remove all the off-topic garbage that's polluted it recently.

BACK ON TOPIC AS OF RIGHT NOW. Any questions on that? No? Good.

The 'watch band' door that was submitted as a concept isn't a design I believe merits going forward with, but thank you for taking the time to make something and get the conversation going on it. Of course it's not fitting with the rest of the art -- we're not looking for that kind of polish until there's a design agreed upon that does work.

Sirens on the door: great idea, I definitely want to see more talk around this. It's a good reinterpretation that provides added visual appeal with good game function. As an added note, overlapping 'link' designs won't work well with this since the door needs to be segmented.

20. dsrb

dsrb

That made me think: What about having the squares be individual windows through the door? I guess it makes about as much sense as the warning light/siren idea, and you could relate the two if you really wanted to try a logical explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.