don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 No-Name

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by theocas, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dandaman

Dandaman

Also known as Dandaman955 Tech Member
    UK
    Hah. Looks like you did some interesting stuff while I was away. S3K big rings, ttz art and much more. I should start cracking on and do some more work for this hack. :v:

2. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I think we'll take that into consideration. I kinda was thinking about it in the back of my mind. Maybe a different pallet for each time zone, and a slightly different layout - but the Music? Maybe switch out some samples to sound differently depending on the time zone. Once I finish this one port, I'll take a crack at it!

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Am liking some of the concepts and graphics such as the ported Sonic CD graphics (will you be adding some SCD music as well by any chance, we rarely hear many tune remakes of that game (either version) in hacks). As some noted however the level structure is a bit all over the place at times and there are a few glitches involving Sonic's sprites.

4. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I am aware of those animation glitches, I'm just not sure why they happen or what causes them, as the animations are correct. As for the Music - I might, or might not. Now that Time Travel will be implemented, and the hack is finally up to full speed, I might make them into SMPS's. It might be eventually that I'll convert to Mega CD, but that depends (It is just a little side project of mine right now)
    Anyways, I got a very special treat coming up pretty soon.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    an interesting hack, none the less. I just don't like the first act of Perilous Planes, is kinda confusing and got me thinking how to get out there for a while but did it eventually. The layout design is beautiful, but I think the front tiles should have been in other colour, just to match the background purple rocks, but other than that it looks very good. I noticed there are a couple of glitches in the background in the second act but I'm pretty sure you are aware of it and I found very handful the use of super peel-out on the B button at the cost of 3 rings, it's a nice addition. Well, I just hope you can get those pretty details fixed, you have made a very good hack :)

6. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Thanks, I know about the purple rock bug already, just haven't come up with an idea to fix it, but it is definitely pallet related. As for the Hub thing - I did simplify it a bit, as you now choose your slot, and if it is empty just start playing instead of having to use springs. We are working on a new hub, but it is currently giving us nothing more than problems.
    As for the Act 2 background- that is the deformation being an arse, possibly due to the fact that we modified the Act 1 BG. Also, Act 1 will soon be replaced with different art, so don't worry about the pallet.

7. Are you going to keep the spike bug, or are you going to fix it so spike damage behaves like the other Genesis games?

8. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Spike bug, where? To my knowledge I have removed it as one of the first things on this Hack. It should behave like the other Genesis games...

9. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    I'm honored that you named a team and hack after me. :v:

In all seriousness though, I like how the hack looks so far. Keep up the good work, dude.

10. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Thanks! I guess it's time for updates. After lots of hard work, we present the new Sega Screen (Special thanks to GenesisFan64, he helped us quite a bit):

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I love the new Sega screen, and I love the Tidal Tempest art too! (Talking about the screenshot from the General Project Screenshot/Video thread.) I have to say that this hack is looking better and better, team no-name is awesome. :3

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    That is just plain beautiful. The best one I've seen thus far, next to Ecco 2's and Sonic 3D.

13. Odd. First time I played it, I got hit with the spike bug in the last spike pit of Act 3, just before the boss. I played it again, and the spikes functioned normally. I don't know what's up with that. Maybe it was a one time glitch or something?

14. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I'm guessing you just stayed on the spikes too long without any rings.

15. No, that wasn't the case. When it happened, it happened exactly like the spike bug does. I got hurt, and when I landed back on the spikes after falling backwards, I immediately died. Strange thing was, it seemed to only be a one time thing. I deliberately jumped on the spikes in the same spot, and they behaved normally. I could continue walking on them so long as I was hurt/blinking.

16. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    That's pretty weird. Anyways, I hope to put up another release soon, so expect that, with more bugfixes!

17. Axel Letterman

Axel Letterman

The Saiyan Hedgehog Member
    Nice to see that you used the Sega Screen from the video game Asterix and the Power of The Gods, no one has ever thought of that before.

When I first saw it, I was like "Hmmmm..... I've seen that done before." and then it hit me, it was from that game I mentioned.

18. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Glad you all like it so much. Oh geez, then I need to make the OCAS splash twice as beautiful....

19. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    So, I think this looks very promising.
    The graphics are very pleasing to the eyes and have a good mood. I don't like the water because it's just a barely visible and doesn't have the wave sprites. Also the ground pieces are illuminated from both sides, but they should only be illuminated from left side. The background for Act 1 is not too good but you know it already. Later I will show some pictures of the problems.

So now for the level design. The first Zone feels like Green Hill Zone and plays like it. I like it but the problem is that it's too simple and uninspired. I just ran through it easily. Also I don't like the mushroom-shaped springs, they're ugly in my opinion.

I won't be saying too much about the hub because it's just weird and confusing. The long scroll that appears when you enter it is annoying. I know that your team is working on it, so I am not picky here.

Now some pictures of areas you should fix:
    [​IMG]
    This walls seems to be undecided if it's in foreground or background. The tiles on the right of the wall seem to be in foreground, but the rest isn't.

[​IMG]
    Misaligned pieces. It's not really a big problem but worth looking into it. This appears in more places.

[​IMG]
    Are these tiles in the slope placeholders? I hope so because they look ugly.

[​IMG]
    M.C. Escher's Totem. The brown part is in background and the gray part in the foreground.

I have a screenshot of what happens:
    [​IMG]
    It only happens in Kega Fusion and it doesn't do that in Gens. It just have some weird stuff instead of normal options selected. Really weird. But after you choose right options the problem is gone.

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ^ That's not the title screen... that looks like it's an error with VRAM, not necessarily an error with SRAM though. :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.