don't click here

Just finished Sonic 2 for the first time today!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by flarn2006, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't remember that in Sonic 2 16-bit. :v:

It is actually possible to get all 7 emeralds in EHZ, but I've never done it without cheats.

2. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    When I actually played the original Sonic 2 for kicks I never thought to go to all the checkpoints for the special stage, I usually just did one per act.
    Thus my slow emerald retrieving.

3. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Really? I didn't know there were that many checkpoints in the zone. Learn something new every day.

4. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Lol, I meant Emerald Hill. I get the zones mixed up if they have hill in it. Except Mushroom hill.

5. I've managed to do it once.

When I was a kid I often beat the first 6 stages as fast as I could, and waited until the last star post in Wing Fortress to get the 7th emerald because for a while I wasn't used to controling Super Sonic, but still wanted all of the emeralds. Then S3(&K) came along, and the use of a double jump to transform made super forms much easier to deal with.

Also, I owned Sonic 2 before I got a copy of Sonic 1 as a gift, and I was disappointed that there were only 6 emeralds and no super forms. I was confused because I was so absolutely sure there were seven, and that the people who made the game must have forgotten the last emerald somewhere.

6. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    You can get 3 emeralds in Act 1, and 4 in act 2 of Emerald hill.

Then you can godhandle the boss of Emerald Hill by going back and collecting 50 more rings.

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Sonic 2 never gives me any trouble then I always die at Death Egg. I just can't do it without getting hit. I've never beaten that game but I've got to Death Egg with all 7 emeralds multiple times.

8. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I just beat Sonic 1 for the first time about a month or two ago. I got all the emeralds, too, although, that was aided by the fact that I did it on Sonic Classic Collection on the DS. If I failed a special stage, I'd just load up the act, collect 50 rings, and try again. But I don't think I re-loaded any more times than I had lives/continues, if that counts for anything. :B

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I remember enjoying the overall design and feel of Chaos but the levels were tediously short. Things only really kicked in around the very final act and boss.

Triple Trouble was arguably the most polished but the engine seems clunkier and floaty. And the aformentioned music ranged from good (Sunset Hill Act 3, Meta Jungira) to what sounded like some idiot randomly bashing random keys.

Truthfully I think 8 bit 1 and 2 replicated the Genesis engine best, though Sonic 2 8 bit was so friggin' hard even in early stages (especially if you wanted the emeralds, anyone else driven mad trying to land directly on the mid air one in the second level?)

10. As someone who didn't beat it until I was 35, I offer my congratulations :) Once you do the first time, it does get easier after that. If you want to have a further challenge, try it as Knuckles. The final boss is MUCH harder with Knuckles due to the lower jump

11. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I think that's why I never really got into Chaos and Triple Trouble, the engine felt too heavy and didn't really represent the MD physics. I loved S1GG and S2GG, still do, I listen to the soundtracks on my iPod. I never really found S2GG that hard. I would take my Game Gear out to places where I didn't have anything else to do, I had a rechargable battery pack for it, so I'd spend until the battery drained searching for emeralds in the levels.

I give S1GG an all emerald run through about twice a month, it's one of my favourite Sonic games.

12. Penguin

Penguin

I think it's really interesting how many people who signed up here as diehard Sonic fans haev yet to beat the hallmark of the series.

Only one I haven't done with all emeralds is Sonic2GG.

13. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Completing Sonic 2 without the cheat is one of those moments when, as a child, I realised manhood wasn't far away.
    My only shame was that I did it with the cheat first and never experienced how truly awesome reaching Death Egg was without submitting the level select.

14. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Same here - with the exception of Knuckles Chaotix (I've only really briefly played it on an emulator, I never owned a 32X) and Sonic 2 GG (although, I have completed the Master System version with all the Emeralds - only done it once though, very recently in fact! I'm not a huge fan of that game really). They're not on your list there, but I've also 100% completed Sonic 3D, Triple Trouble and Chaos quite a few times, too. I can do the main Mega Drive games with all Emeralds and without losing a life, every single time - but that's what you get when you're 23 and have played the damn games obsessively since their release (between the ages of 5 and 8 respectively), practice makes perfect I guess.

I'd say though that Sonic 2 was probably the hardest one to complete 100% for the first time, it really did take me a while but then when I'd done it once, I could keep doing it. Sonic 3K was made a LOT easier to 100% complete because of the save feature.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I still haven't beaten Sonic 2. Wing Fortress is evil. If the stage doesn't get you then the boss does. And (after playing it via level select) Death Egg isn't much better at all. :psyduck:

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I cannot for the life of me make it past Sky High Act 1 in S2 SMS. I keep fucking up on the part with the hang glider. >.< I epically suck at the 8-bit games. >.>

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    When I was very young I could get to the final boss with ease, but always had to have my sister beat it for me. Back then the most emeralds I could get was 3...

Some odd years ago I finally managed to defeat the evil bastard by myself, without cheats. Still can't get all of the Emeralds though, not even with cheats. On the XBL version you can save and reload whenever you want, but no matter how many times I try, I cannot for the life of me snag that final rock.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The glider is a POS but just keep tapping left rapidly instead of holding or trying to swan down and up again, you will reach the top limit of the stage in no time plus theres some wind which helps, you also have to do this to get the emerald so the entire level is basicly null because you have to fly the entire stage, lol.

19. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.

Oops left out S3D, that's another game that I love, I played the original cart I had to death. As I said above I never really took to Chaos or Triple Trouble, I have completed them but without all the emeralds. I should start up SADX and give it a try.

20. Imadjinn

Imadjinn

Just getting to the end of Sonic 2 was an achievement for me. Took me the longest time to get through Wing Fortress, then an equally longest time to beat Egg Hell Laser Room... Then an even more equally longest time to defeat the final bosses. Falling through that darn giant robot always pissed me off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.