don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I hope this isn't the big news for today.

We knew about this for a few days now! And not only that, we could tell from just looking at the screenshots.

2. I know this may be so minor that no one cares...but they have the supposed "boxart" on the website instead of the giant question mark now!

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Woo I'm posting in the Sonic 4 thread even if I said I wouldn't touch it anymore.

Namo, read this: SPG:Ring_Loss.
    In classic games you can't recollect rings for 64 frames (1.06 seconds), and they last for 256 frames (4.26 seconds). This gives you 192 actual useful frames to recollect the rings (3.20 seconds).

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    This is why most of us are virgin, people.

5. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    The torch is a good idea, considering that it is similar to the light gimmick in Sandopolis Act 2 of S&K

6. Ruby has a sense of humor, that's good.

7. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    So...they took two and a half months to speak about something I had first?

Nice, Aaron. :rolleyes:

That said, it doesn't appear that's all...looks like we're gonna learn about changes in running physics too.

8. glem3

glem3

Huh? This isn't the update, guys. The update is the change to an MMORPGFPS.

Edit: But really this caption isn't the update. The update is part of a list.

Double Edit: Ice Cream strikes again!

Yep, Pacific - it's about 2:30 PM here.

Damn you free ice creeeeaaaaam!

9. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Ruby is using humor to disarm everybody, because he knows the update is gonna be shit.

10. Calling it "Lost Lab" makes it sound totally different.

brb, craving ice cream now. This update better be worth it!

11. glem3

glem3

Guys, the update will be crap. Just like the tree and the sunflower.

It will be:

The minecart isn't tilt controlled anymore. The screen doesn't tilt when you play either! It just takes up part of the stage. Sonic holds a torch.

It's not THE BIG UPDATE. It's just part of THE BIG UPDATE. So Sega doesn't release everything at once.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I am expecting the worst anyway.

Something like: "we made sonic accelerate quicker, now he can run faster then ever before!" and most probably we will still see that sonic has those slow and ugly looking walking frames in his jog animation which was part of the slowness cause in the first place, they looked wrong and should not have been there.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

It's up...

EDIT: Very predictable. Act 2 info, wheel of feet come up faster, apparently the running/jogging animation was tweaked, and that chasing wall in lost Labyrinth was slowed down.

14. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
  15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Oh wow, they referenced Act 3's Wall of Death:
    Also, Act 2 is changed, mine cart is at the very end of the level and animation changes. That's all folks, wait until September when Ruby tells you that the dying cats and misplaced sound effects are staying in. By that time, I assume that another level will be revealed.

16. So basically in a nut shell...

- Lost Labyrinth Act 2 Changed. The mine cart is present but is now automatic instead of user-driven.
    - Sonic's running has been edited.
    - Sonic's acceleration is increased, thus we see the blurry feet sooner.
    - More balanced gameplay in some areas.

Not bad...just enough to wet our appetites...

17. glem3

glem3

1. Mine cart only at end of stage

2. Not tilt controlled

3. Faster acceleration

4. Changed running animation

5. Removed bottomless pit

Hell yeah, Sega.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    EDIT: They didn't say anything about a bottomless pit, glem, that was about a crusher-wall section.

EDIT 2: September isn't actually that far off, it's already August 19th. Time flies when you're on a BioWare craze.

Tweaked the running animation and made it so ye olde wheel-o-feet comes out sooner during his running cycle. Well, I hope this means we can stop bitching about his running animation now. Looking forward to seeing it in action when they deliver on that promise of showing us Lost Labyrinth in action.

That one shot where Sonic's feet are blurry... is that a stillframe of the wheel-o-feet, or is the blur effect something else entirely? Either way, it looks terrible in stillframe—as most blur effects do whether they look good in action or not.

The torchlight does look per-etty oppressive in that shot. And the "Sonic isn't all about speed" quote kind of got my cynical side going... he usually doesn't need lighting gimmicks to "not be all about speed." But that's the extent of my irritation, I'm actually quite happy about the update. The bucket of ice cream at the end of it might have some hypnotic power.

19. I think I can keep an open mind about the future updates they release. Fingers crossed.

20. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Act 3 has a wall of Death? :D That's freaking hilarious! I was wondering when that was ever going to come back. I wonder if it has spikes and jet engines on it like (ok, I can't find it). But I'm sure you've seen it.

EDIT: Whoops, nvm, I remember seeing that insanely fast wall. Glad it was changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.