don't click here

I have a "theory"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Syren, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    I posted this at SOST (Secrets of Sonic Team) but I didn't get any actual decent feedback about it (other than "yeah I guess" and "Here's something cool with the Sonic 2 cart" etc . I did research this and found nothing, so here it is:-

On two out of three of the point's I have made, I have tried to counter them as best as I could with a counter-argument. Could anyone tell me if I have missed anything, and what do you guys think?

EDIT: I got most of the information in my points from SOST and Sonicology. And to add to point two:

"Why, if the images in the Level Select screen are from Sonic 2, would they have been left in there if they were only place holders?'

2. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Hmm... you have a good point. I believe the game itself wasn't, just the sprites, menus etc.

3. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Well what if Sonic 3 was built by overwritting the levels, music, etc. of Sonic 2. Just like the Sonic 2 prototype which carries leftovers from Sonic 1?

I don't think it was based on Sonic 3, though.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ugh, actually it's already been technically prooven to be built off Sonic 2.

5. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Yeah all Sonic games were built on the previous Sonic game before it.

6. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Ah. I didn't know this (and I couldn't find anything on it either). Do you know a website in which it has the information?

7. T.Q.

T.Q.

What about Sonic 3D?

8. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    That is a very good point. The same question runs with Sonic Crackers. JoseTheBest mentioned in a conversation earlier on MSN that he had compared engines from Sonic 3 to Sonic 2, Sonic 2 to Sonic 1, etc. and that Crackers is completely different.

I cannot put this in a Quotation box as I promised however as something has deleted every folder and file from My Documents, which includes My Recieved Files and the conversation logs.

I will do some research into Sonic 3D and Crackers, and see what I come up with.

9. Kampfer

Kampfer

It's a totaly diffrent engine, so of course it wouldn't be built off off the other 2D games. Usuing your logic, it would be reasonable to say that Sonic adventure was built from Sonic 1.

Sorry if I'm harsh, but use common sense.

10. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    The only realtion that Sonic 3D has (or had) with Sonic 3/& Knuckles is that most of the sounds are the same, and in a proto pic, it had a S3/&K title card and font.

11. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Okay let me try it again since I apparently have to spell it out for people.

Sonic 2 was built of Sonic 1. Sonic 3 was built off Sonic 2. Sonic and Knuckles was built off Sonic 3. Sonic 3D was a different engine so it wasn't built off any of the previous games... WOW imagine that and I figured it out alll by myself.

Sonic Adventure 2 was built off Sonic Adventure... dunno about Heroes though.

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sonic 1 was built from an unknown source.

Sonic 1 version 2 was built to fix all the bugs known at the time.

Sonic 2 Beta was built from Sonic 1 version 2 with more fixes along the way.

Sonic 2 was modified. It had no more debug trace text. Different startup routines.

Sonic 3 is using Sonic 2's engine for the menus and title screen. The rest is rewritten to work better. Everything is much bigger.

Sonic & Knuckles is just an extension to Sonic 3, with a built in Sonic 2 version compatible with the way Knuckles works.

Sonic Crackers is not even based on Yuji Naka's Sonic engine.

Sonic CD is based on Sonic 1, but modified because they only got a few things from the Sonic 1 source. The rest they had to do themselves. And they did a poor job.

Sonic 3D is actually using much routines from the original Sonic. Built the same way. But it is not Sonic 3.

13. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I think S&K only contains S2's object placement and it uses the layout from the S2 cart. Dunno about the rings though.

14. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I believed that it was built with the Ghost?n Ghouls engine.

15. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    really. what leads you to that belief?

16. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Similarities between the engines,and the fact that Naka did that game before he did s1.

17. Vangar

Vangar

He would've had to speed it up a bit, that game's really slow. ;)

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Never really posted Member
    Flash Animations
    Duh. Like all platformers, it's all based off pong. OBVIOUSLY. *shot* :P

Anyways, I do agree with Jose. From what I've gathered, it may not have been based off the same engine as Ghosts and Ghouls, definitely not, but it did have certain base aspects used. I may be completely off base however...

19. T.Q.

T.Q.

Well now, as we see, not all Sonic games are built off the previous version.

So the statement "all Sonic games were built on the previous Sonic game before it." is not 100% correct.

That's my purpose for the question "what about Sonic 3D". To point out an error.

20. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    Was Sonic 3D built off Sonic Labrynth =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.