don't click here

Sonic Mega Collection Plus PS2/Xbox Differences

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I have the PAL Playstation 2 version of Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and I've noticed that all the games play slowly (Sonic 1 PAL Megadrive 50hz slow). However, if playing the PAL Xbox version only Sonic 1 is slow. Does anyone have any clues as to why the PS2 version is slower? Even Sonic 3 & Knuckles is slow.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I noticed some games that were made for the PS2, GC, and Xbox have this problem actually. My copy of Teen Titans was slower than my cousin's copy, since he had the GC version. The same can be said with my cousin's copy of Sims 2 (GC) and my girlfriend's copy (PS2). I think it may have something to do with how the PS2 reads games.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Firstly, it depends on the combination of TV/cable you have, and whether your PS2 is set to 60htz or not. I've not played the PS2 Mega Collection, but the Game Cube version runs smoothly and as fast as is naturally possible for one of those titles. I use a Game Cube with an RGB 60htz, or a Wii with the Component cable.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It sounds like the ps2 just runs the normal 60Hz code and then shows it in 50Hz, rather than running 50hz-specific code.

I believe that Sonic Gems Collection skips frames in order to make things run at the correct speed, but then again the games themselves are running at 50Hz anyway.

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Is it a memory issue, alot of games seem to suffer from slow down on the PS2 because of it's lack of memory, I think anyway.

6. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    This thread makes me <3 NTSC even more. :P

7. I've noticed this on my version of SMC+ on my PS2 Slim, but when I play it on the PS3 (the big chunky 60GB version) all the games seem to run pefectly at 60hz, and my version of the game is also the PAL game.

8. dsrb

dsrb

As if such a recent console would have insufficient power to run a simple Mega Drive emulator.

9. Could you be *more* vague?

Memory shouldn't have anything to do with speed. In PCs this might be true, because when memory is short the operating system will use the hard disk for more memory, and since it's much slower than RAM everything slows down... But the PS2 doesn't do such a thing, it either has enough memory to run something or it doesn't.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Really? It's the opposite for me. Mega Collection + plays at normal speed for all the games (par Sonic 1 which was never PAL optimized to begin with) while Gems plays all the games slow. I have the slimline PS2, though Gems suffered this problem on the older chunky model too.

The exception for both seems to be Spinball and Mean Bean Machine, both of which seem to suffer playing at sufficent speed. Spinball's sound 'bumps' every minute or so while Mean Bean 'chugs' and struggles when to much is going on onscreen (you can here the soundtrack continuously falter between PAL Sonic 1 style slow and normal speed).

I don't think the speed problem should really be an issue on the PS2. I have a third party emulator as an extra with an Action Replay and it doesn't suffer this speed problem (though there are graphical issues instead, so yeah). Not to mention SEGA Genesis/Megadrive Collection which, par a few other minor issues (eg. certain sound and music not playing properly), runs at proper speed and more accurate quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.