don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the best idea would be to actually keep that ability of changing views, starting with the one depicted in that last screen. After all, it was SEGA who did such a thing first, with Virtua Racing (which makes me wonder how a Micro Machines-style view would look like in here).

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    For reference Synergy, does your engine have any limitations on the subdivisions generated? I'd like to see how smooth things can look, and have those higher settings tested as widely as possible for the best platform optimization. I know the build you put out can increase them, but it'd be good to find out the limits as well.

3. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    No limits imposed by the subdivision method itself; the end result has to fit in a single dynamic vertex/index buffer which although as you say will be card dependent, is no way near reaching any limits right now. That said, the more polygons you expend in building the tube, the less you'll have to spare for the character models, higher-resolution sky mesh, a large volume of rings and mines etc. - not forgetting that extruding or making the tube more 3D and less flat will require more polygons in itself, before worrying about how many subdivisions are used in a corner and so on - so it might be best to wait til the visuals on the whole are a little more complete before judging the best subdivision count to use by default, and which can be set for a "higher" option setting.

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Sounds good. I didn't think you'd hamstring the engine by imposing limits this early on, but it never hurts to make certain. Do you have any estimates on how long it'll be until we can start to import some of the other assets you just listed?

5. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    I would prefer to get the actual gameplay complete, including proper interface/menu, before spending time on the visuals.

6. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I would think that the difficulty problem could be solved by:
    A: Not allowing mines and rings to be seen through the transparency. (This will prevent one from seeing the arrangement of the items inside a turn)
    B: Making them appear even earlier.

Screen clutter will not be an issue; having items move actually makes them easier to differentiate than in the same scene still. Although a still image may look intensely cluttered, the difference in each of the objects speed when the scene is in motion will add almost another dimension that the brain can use to tell the objects apart. The added complexity also gives more detail, bringing the SS more up-to-date.
    Also, the "Change-into-items" debug mode was an interesting part of the first game, and definitely something that should be included, not only for the sense of sticking to the original, but also add yet another feature to the game, enhancing its depth. If it wasn't seen as an at-least somewhat important part of the original Sonic games, why would they have included it in all the Sonic and Sega Collections that have been released, where on modern consoles seemed even more prone to crashing?

I thought I would just give some thoughts on that.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I think actual play testing has to be done before you start doing any form of "difficulty" tweaking. You have nothing concrete to really base it on other than assumptions.

8. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I vote yes transparency, yes distant objects, yes viewable curving track, and no small pov.

9. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    This. I think it all looks great. Some may see the large viewing distance as a negative thing, taking away the "surprise" of oncoming stuff - but honestly, are you really gonna be paying attention to all the stuff in the distance in the heat of gameplay? I don't think so. It's not like you're gonna be able to see bombs and rings way in the distance, anyways.

10. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    This transparency method would really rock the SS.
    Stencil routed K-Buffer
    But I think that there is a faster way to do something very similar, and this other method doesn't require a GeForce 8 Series or higher card.

11. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    As our transparent geometry is not in any sense complex I don't think it would produce as interesting results as these. It might be simpler to map the opacity in some desired way using a greyscale texture and/or use framebuffer distortion in order to achieve a glass effect.

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Exactly. Too bad that is rather hard to mock up. On a side note, if we had caustic diffraction it would distort rings visible through the tube enough that telling the difference between a mine and a ring would be quite difficult, somewhat resolving the transparency/difficulty dispute.

13. Just a thought, not sure how relevant it is, but... As you guys are developing this, is there any awareness that as this project slowly works itself toward completion that technological limitations will decrease? What I mean is, if the special stage, for example, is being constructed to accommodate users based on the technological specs of the average user currently, is development aware that in time these standards will be far below what the average users specs are capable of computing by the time this game is complete?

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Most certainly. The 2-d art will hold up fine, but there will probably be ways to alter the level of detail, anti-aliasing, lighting, etc. for the special stages. I don't know if synergy has thought about adding any of this stuff in yet, but I imagine he hasn't simply because he's probably still working on making it run properly. That and there aren't any real assets to add to the thing yet to test such features on.

15. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I imagine there will be plenty of adjustable graphical options to allow for lower spec. machines - Display res., anti-aliasing, filters etc. But in this day and age, almost all computers have a fair amount of power. The special stage shouldn't be too resource consuming as there isn't a huge amount of rendering to be done... I don't think there would really be any problems running the special stage on older machines (other than compatibility issues but that's a whole other problem!!)

EDIT:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying...
    Keep in mind that this game isn't supposed to be 3D, more "remastered 2D", and the fact that any 3D is used is just for the fact that it suits the special stage better. The special stage doesn't want to look too much like a brand new game, but have clean graphics that still keep the original cartoon feel to some extent; There's only so much you can do without going OTT on the graphics.

16. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Precisely: because we have to stay at least somewhat true to the original style, and because the special stage is a fairly simple concept anyway - traversing a tube with objects flying towards you - I don't think there is going to be much more that we can add on in future that today's graphics cards cannot already do.

17. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    This is awesome.
    Makes me want a Sonic 2 special stage meets Audiosurf sort of game. =P

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That awesome pic made me wonder... Are we 100% sure that none of the stages overlap themselves when making a 3D map out of them?

It's something that should be looked into + - , specially if you're planning to add an endless mode   . + - =P  

19. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    The tube is constructed using five piece types ahead from the stage description at any one time, so the only way it'll cross itself at the moment is if you purposely edit it to do so in the space of five pieces, though we can probably make sure the editor watches out for this and prevents it. None of the standard stages in Sonic 2 are so curvy as to run into this problem.

20. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Here's an online flash game made to promote Sonic Heroes. It's a remastered version of the Sonic 2 special stages. It's kind of bland, graphically, but they did a good job on the background. It might help you with art design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.