don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]

Easter egg?

2. Final light

Final light

Banned
    canada
    S2HD octus sprite, Sonic 2 Final light
    Has any one started the octus yet? I have a start on it but I want to know if I'm wasting my time with this one.

octo_.05.png

original 4X:

octus_4x_normal.png

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Hello Final light. We've had one attempt on the Octus so far, and it wasn't a very impressive one. If you'd like to continue working on it, please read up on the guide Cerulean Nights has created for that process. He's more than willing to help people out, but we need a very specific style used to create the enemies.

4. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Wow, I can't really believe I forgot about Nebula. I was waiting to work on him for when I got my new computer, but I guess he completely slipped my mind. I just remembered about him when I played through Sonic 2 again.

[​IMG]

I followed up on subsubstantive's suggestion (see page 10) about the reflection between the black and yellow on the bottom part of the base. Not only does it solve the reflection, it also shrinks the top part of the base a little, which is what was bugging a lot of people. Hopefully what I just did wasn't a complete waste of time.

5. zemulii

zemulii

Well I think his shape looks great - well balanced. Far better than the sprite, and definitely better than before! Don't really have any criticism at this stage (can't think of any ;)).

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    It just looks bland, and "South Park-ish", but it's still a WIP, right?. You've got the shape totally nailed, definitely.

7. I think all this work on the Nebula is premature, but seeing as how this is primarily what you want to work on I don't see much harm in discussing it now, so long as it doesn't become a distraction. I like the Nebula, I like it more than I did before too. I understand the problem of having the "lid" match correctly with the base; however I think it can be further improved. Currently, I think he is too tall, vertically elongated, the cap especially but the base as well. If this can be fixed, I then think he needs to fill the interior of the capsule more fully. The spite does look very much like South Park, no thanks to the eyes in particular. My interpretation is that the eyes are supposed to look sort of like coke bottle lenses and cross eyed. Sort of like one might imagine a nerdy cartoon character who has his nose buried in a book, and then looks up from it, or in this case a nerdy humpty-dumpty robot protruding from a dark shell into a brilliant ambient atmosphere. The shape should be similar to those plastic googily eyes I glue to all my food, but with smaller pupils. I understand this is still a WIP and as such does not have shading yet as well. The 2 screws on the outermost sides of the base need to be closer to the outside. Also I suggest adding a slight rounding to the yellow bands where they meet. That's all for now.

[​IMG]

8. Namo

Namo

Plastic Googly eyes I think would look great on it if given the right definition.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys, please post the original art as well for comparison. It's sometimes of more help than the sprites.
    [​IMG]

10. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I'm just going to throw it out there... I'm not liking that south-park style at all! It's just too cartoony.
    I know it's based on the concept art, but I think that's too cartoony too!
    Is anyone else thinking the same?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's still a flat concept, of course it's going to look South Park-ish.

Just wait till some volume is added.

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    :ssh: Then bring the volume.

13. I think a staff member should make a judgement before shading begins. To me, there are still changes to be made. Could Zemulii post the .psp file and let a member of the staff, such as CR, make a few modifications. I realize the Nebula isn't a priority by any means, but from what I've seen of CN's work, I'd wager he could perfect the shapes in 5 minutes and seeing as how Zemulii has put so much time into this sprite I don't think it would hurt.

14. zemulii

zemulii

I don't think he's too tall. He's pretty close to the concept art, which is what we should be going for here, as the sprite looks ridiculous... The taller cap balances it out. If it were any shorter, there'd be way too much weight at the bottom (and imagine what it would then look like closed...). The sharp edges of the yellow bands give him a dangerous look. Which he should have. I don't think they should be rounded.

Then what do you suggest in it's place?? As ICEKnight said - wait for the shading. I wish people would get over this whole South Park thing...

Heheh, eh? I never worked on this ;). I think you mean Sonuw. I do think it's the right time for a staff member to give their verdict on the shape as it stands now, before any more *possibly* needless adjustments are made.

15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    CN doesn't like any of the designs posted for it so far, and has already said he doesn't want to comment on it. He'll eventually do it, and do a fantastic job of it, I'm sure. The reason all of us stopped commenting on it is because we got sick of looking at something that got dragged around for months on end without good progress. My recommendation is that those looking to work on a badnik step away from the Nebula and start another. That Octus that Final Light brought up is a good place to start, given that's had a couple attempts with zero follow up as well.

16. zemulii

zemulii

Honestly. Go and look at where the Nebula started, and then tell me there's been "no good progress". Doesn't want to comment on it? Well that's mighty helpful. Considering the supposed promise that the staff will always be there to help. Sure it's not Hill Top related... but at least he's doing something. There were suggestions flying around left, right and center at one stage, and most of them conflicted with one another. I'm surprised Sonuw didn't go mad. That would have been a good time for the staff to step in and give him some sort of solid direction, rather than having to pick and choose and try and satisfy everyone, which seemed pretty much impossible. I mean, I didn't like it so much at all at the start to be honest. But after countless little adjustments it has become, in my opinion, a very balanced and well rounded Nebula. I actually personally prefer it to both the sprite and the concept art (neither of which I'm a big fan of, especially the sprite).

Sonuw was told by the staff: "Stop the shading, go back and work on the shape. When that's perfect, then go onto the shading."

If the staff isn't going to comment (for god's sake, how much effort is that?), then what's he supposed to do now? Twiddle his thumbs? Go back to picking and choosing what advice to follow, and what to ignore? As far as I'm concerned that's just pointless until the staff give him some idea of what needs to be done before he can get on to shading. You've said time and time again that "getting work finalized isn't as hard as you think". But that's not the impression I get. He's followed your advice so far in sticking to the shape. And now you can't be bothered commenting. Great. "Eventually" doesn't sound particularly promising.

Okay look at this:

[​IMG]

A selection, chronological order, top left, to bottom right. And my quote:

God I honestly can't believe I said that...

Anyway. Tell me it hasn't made progress. By the way, the pink outline was ICEknight's suggested changes. Which I thought were pretty much spot on. The orange is obviously the current version. Go on, look back from the early versions and tell me it hasn't made significant progress.

It's not perfect. There's still some work that needs to be done to it. But...

All I'm trying to say is that he's put in a lot of time and effort, and deserves comment. "Eventually" doesn't really cut it.

17. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I'm just going to hold off on Nebula until it does become a priority. Hell, given how things have turned out, I might as well just scrap it completely. I'll just either look for another badnik to work on that is of priority or step out of the way altogether for people who actually have made progress.

18. zemulii

zemulii

I'd like to see what the staff have to say. I think you've made plenty of progress. I'd rather not see it scrapped if it can be helped. There'll always be complainers.

19. Namo

Namo

What the heck? I'd say go with the one outlined in pink or the one with the green background. They look spectacular, magnificent... what's the problem here, again?

20. zemulii

zemulii

I'm not sure if you can read (it's been said quite a few times now), but most of them haven't been shaded yet. And those that have, were "unshaded" to make more adjustments to the shape. With all the shading, it makes it that much more difficult to go back and make minor adjustments, so the shading has been left out for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.