don't click here

Sonic 2 Dimps Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Considering that a screenshot and a video has caused a lot of reactions in the screenshot thread, I've decided to make a topic out of this to prevent things from clogging up.

[​IMG]

Why is this hack being created?

The idea for this hack came when I wanted to do something for the hacking contest which didn't involve innuendo special stages and a slideshow that you've probably seen and had to bleach your eyes after viewing. So, why don't I take the piss out of Dimps! We all know how bad Dimps are with Sonic games, such as placing speed boosters everywhere for no reason other to hide their shitty physics. As well as that, their latest game Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has caused a lot of fuss with their choice of objects too as well as poor physics, dust and a lot of other stuff.

Features:

Here is what has been implemented in the game so far:
    - Speed boosters, freshly programmed and will be in every level (except from SCZ due to obvious reasons).
    - Homing Attack so you can abuse the fuck out of it just like Sonic 4 forces you to.
    - Sonic only gameplay (The removal of Tails as a playable character was actually because of using Tails' VRAM space for the dash pads)
    - Boss theme replaced with a port of the Sonic 3D unused track which is being used as a boss theme for Sonic 4.
    - A few physics tweaks to dumb down the game, after all - this is Dimps' take on things.
    - Title screen menu removed (no point for 2P mode and the options menu).
    - Misplaced sound effects for a few things.

What might be implemented for the release (do note that none of these are promised for the release):
    - The Sonic 4 version of the spikeless Bubbles badnik. (Currently being worked on)
    - Dust trails.
    - "Dimps Style" level design tweaks.
    - Boost Button

Gimmick Stages may appear in a later release. It might be easy to implement the Score Attack level in a way, but the Mine Cart is a whole different story.

Screenshots and Videos:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Special Thanks to:
    MarkeyJester: Speed Booster programming and ASM assistance.
    Tweaker: Sonic 3D Blast music port.
    shobiz: Helping me fix a problem with Tails being loaded when it shouldn't be.
    qiuu: Homing Attack code
    Selbi: Bubbles fixes
    E-122-Psi: Uncurling Sprites
    Dimps: For showing how shit you are at Sonic games.
    Anyone else missed? Let me know!

I need to have this hack finished by this week in order to submit it to both the Hacking Contest and SAGE. If I do manage to release it, there might be another release with more features eventually.

As Ken Balough would say, this is truly Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as you imagined it.

EDIT: Download link along with a bunch of other shit can be found here.

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The speed bosters on the upward slope :54 into the video made me laugh, can't wait to give this a shot.

Game might need a "IT'S THE SONIC 2 YOU'VE ALWAYS DREAMED OF" PR team though :v:

3. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    You need to make it so when Sonic jumps, it's always the slowest speed.

Edit: Also, why are there yellow springs? Since when were there YELLOW springs? :specialed:

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Are there any plans for the boosters to put Sonic into a roll, or to uncurl him after a ramp? I feel like you could even keep going after the contest and SAGE to make it even "better". It's great right now though, it definitely makes Dimps's misconceptions with Sonic level design stand out. Oh, also, some areas with light platforming in the form of steps could be turned into a slope.

Edit: lol I'll be your PR guy. I'll show up in IRC channels and talk that shit up, ignoring or adding to the game's shortcomings.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    NEEDS MOAR SPEED BOOSTERS!!!!11

Seriously, a well done parody hack. There's only one last thing you should put in: Loads and loads of dust when you run. Shouldn't be much of a problem with the dust you see when you turn the direction.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    XD

That screenshot gave me a good laugh. While I like Advance 1 and 2, the physics engine for the Rush games is so dreadful that I can't even stand to play those games. If it's even possible to make Sonic 2 so broken, try making this game's physics come close to what's shown in this video.

7. You know what? This and Sonic 2 XL have something in common.

They are both parodies of a well known complaint from the fans on Sonic 4, and take it to the absolute extreme.

Ok, then have a chubby Sonic that GETS CHUBBIER.

Ok, then have some boosters and springs EVERYWHERE where we don't need them to speed up gameplay!

I find that alone amazing. Keep it up guys!

8. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Sonic needs to roll down hills really slowly

9. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    Not enough warningless bottomless pits to be Dimps.
    BUT IT'S PRETTY DANG CLOSE good job! Can't wait to play it.

10. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Heh, I'm probably one of the few who doesn't give a shit about the Speed Boosters in S4. The game still looks fun as hell.
    Heck! Give Shadow the Hedgehog his guns back, and I'll play the game! Yes, I said it! >.>

I'm not into hacks like these, but it seems like an okay idea. Wish you luck on it. Would be kind of cool if you changed the layout some, but I understand the purpose of this hack.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    For those who are requesting rolling, I'd rather not implement it into the hack, because speed boosters are there for dick badnik placements too. I don't like the rolling and it's only appeared in one game anyway as opposed to the other games Dimps have been involved in.

12. Could you impliment uncurling then?

A solution to that would be to have the spring jump sprite happen after running off curved jumps. Would work the same way.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    If you want some Sonic 4 ramps (aka the half circles) or other tiles, you can give me a message. I'd love to help with this :v:

Heck doing some DIMPS layouts would be stupidly fun

14. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    "Impressive" so far! You should make Sonic's acceleration slower so that the only times he'd be likely to reach full speed would be when hitting speed boosters, holding the dash button, or going down long slopes filled with dash panels that are only there to make the player think "OMG IM GOIN FASST!!!!".

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I have no idea on how to get uncurling to work. I'd assume that if you're still not on the ground after two seconds, change the animation.

Sure. I'd have a good use of those upside-down boosters that haven't been used yet.

I've got the acceleration to a speed where Sonic won't lag. I'll try to make edits so that the wheel animation doesn't happen until Sonic reaches his max speed, along with failing to hold a button stops Sonic altogether.

16. Tidbit

Tidbit

You should have a red speed booster. Whose boost it gives would be the equivalent to spin dashing right into a red spring. I feel that would make this even better.

17. This is awesome, winner of SAGE, easily.

I have no idea about anything about hacking, but doing something to show Tails isn't in the game would be hilarious as well. Just sayin'.

18. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The hack is a great idea that maybe you should also take seriously. Besides just changing it to use Dimps worst additions how about tweaking it in a way that next gen kids will think Sonic 2 is awesome. For some reason I think that would be hilarious. Hell, I'd be interested in seeing unblurred legs.

19. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Get rid of the collision on springs so they're just speed boosters in the 8 cardinal and intermediate directions.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Ahh hell. may as well put a speed booster every 2 pixels apart and we'll really have a sonic 4 clone on our hands.

Edit: If you want to one up sonic 4....
    adding some speed boosters for the boss fights may help out some.
    maybe even give the boss's and bad-nicks speed boosters too ! lol
    ahh shit! forgot about the animals that sonic sets free! they need speed boosters!
    do the rings need them too? perhaps sonic can chase bouncing rings around the zones....now thatd be f@%#ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.