don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Nothing too fancy, just two guys playing Sonic 4 at E3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpxFgDS1Fo

I like their humor! ^^

Uhm, it is allowed to post more gameplay videos in this thread, isn't it? =/
    If not, then, remove the post, and I'll know the answer to that question!

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm wondering. Why doesn't Sonic 4 have promo art like this? It'd be brilliant if it did.
    [​IMG]

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm curious about that as well. It's like Modern artwork with Genesis shading. It's a nice compromise

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Agree, Gem's box would work brilliantly for sonic 4 boxart.

5. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Not going to happen sadly! :(
    Sega uses a lot of Renders these days since its cheaper and faster to pose a model and adjust the lighting than to shade out a drawing. Its sad but even remotely traditional (hand drawn; doesn't matter if its done via tablet or on paper) artwork is kinda dying in the industry, at least it seems so to me. Most 2D Artwork that I see now a days is either concept art and sketches or small promotional artwork (for example Uekawa's drawings). :/

I actually like both 2D and 3D, but there simply is a little to much of the latter, so, my hunger for 3D is kinda saturated, at least in the Artwork department. I would wish that the Industry, one day, values traditional things again (hand drawn animation, airbrush artwork, etc.) and balances 3D and 2D equally.

I know this doesn't contribute much to the Sonic 4 debate. And I think I didn't say anything new here that you don't already know yourself in some way.
    Anyway, that was just my view.

A hand drawn Cover Art would be very nifty though, imagine what they could do, how they could play with the Colors, just look at the Sonic Archives Artwork that SPAZ does. Something along those line would be terrific. =)

Hehe, here's something funny, now, let me say this first I don't really care about what model they use in Sonic 4, but it is a kinda fun fact:
    Sega of Japan (or SOA) gives out the license to make Retro Sonic Merch. Now, they also have so it seems Modern Model Sheets for these Oldschool Character designs.
    So, they license this stuff out and allow it to be made, yet in Sonic 4 they don't allow the Classic design to be used .... kinda hypocritical isn't it!?

Now, I know theres a difference between Merch and Games, but I think it's interesting nonetheless. Like I said, I don't care much for the Model (even though it would be nice to have it optional or as some kind of reward for something) and the look, so, don't get the wrong idea.

I somehow have the feeling that my post makes no sense at all! *laughs*

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya but at the time that Gems collection came out they were already using 3D renders. There is no excuse, it's just one drawing, that's it. One drawing would look much better than that (frankly god awful) CG model they've been using for a lot of things lately.

Either that or make a new CG model. I don't know but I just don't like the current one with that damn smirk or toothy grin as in the case of SaSASR

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Oh, haven't you <a href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jy2C3ItTcw0/S77XdyNst-I/AAAAAAAAEZY/Xn9fTj4iB9I/s1600/Ivy+the+Kiwi.jpg" target="_blank">heard?</a> Traditional art is getting a bit of an uprising.

8. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Well, lets hope it grows even more. But my biggest hope is that they use frame by frame animation aka traditional animation again instead of the flash esque animation. But its an industry for a reason, for example, thats why they choose a 3D Model for Sonic 4 instead of animating it traditionally. Saves time and costs less. Both ways (Classical Animation and CG Animation) look good and fluid though, so theres nothing wrong with what they choose for S4.
    Maybe the industry will reactivate the old animation style one day and use it to its full potential, right now, I can only think about that King of Fighters game for the Xbox 360 that did just that, and DUST: An Elysian Tail (for XBLA) also does it in the main characters case.

We'll see how the industry changes, it sure will be interesting what the future brings, to us, to sonic, and to the world.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    just FYI, King of Fighters XII didn't use a traditional animation style. They created highly detailed 3D models, animated them, then rotoscoped them. That's not the same as traditional animation.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    The video game industry hardly used "traditional" methods to begin with. To act like it was a dying art in the industry is blasphemy since the visual aspect basically began as huge pixels.

If anything they've just started to really take advantage of it, but I sure as hell would not use any of those games aside from A Boy and His Blob as examples. And no Wario Land Shake it? Come on.

And rotoscoping is part of traditional animation. It's a technique. So yes KoF XII counts.

11. test-object

test-object

We can take advantage of them taking advantage though. I'm sure as hell glad these drawn animations are getting highlighted. It's also annoying me that just about every indie developer is using the pixel form of animation to hide their laziness, calling it "back to roots" or bullshit like that. There are enough talented animation-people out there who are dying for some sort of work to put on a resume.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... I'm sorry, Wario : (

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sonic 4 and Ken Balough makes an appearance at Comic Con:

Those physics feel rather different, but this could also be due to the player. Uncurling is still there, as well as the boosters which in this video you can actually see their purpose when Sonic stopped at a slope.

13. The guy playing Sonic 4 first sucked EGGS at this game. The second later in the vid...not so much.

Anyway, I heard near the beginning that Sonic's acceleration will be fixed too. YAY!

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't think so, why do you say that exactly?

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The physics didn't look as floaty as other videos did. Like I said, it's probably the player.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

'Feels' exactly the same to me. I can't tell if this is a newer build or simply the same as the E3 one. It's probably best call it the same build for now- it doesn't look like he's accelerating any faster yet.

EDIT: At 04:50, what's with the extreme speed he gets all of a sudden?

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Actually, to me is seems even worse.
    I, for once, never noticed that while running full speed you can come to a complete stop even if you are on the ground. And here I thought this could happen only while Sonic was in the air (iirc this was shown somewhere back in this topic or the other). It's like there is no momentum at all in this engine.

Oh, but lucklily, the animation speed will be fixed! I can't wait for this!

18. test-object

test-object

He seems REALLY proud Super Sonic is back.

Still missing momentum though. No pinball without momentum, guys.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Nothing looks changed there, doubt sega will show us any "fixes" until it's too late.

I hate how sonic can stop on a dime either in the air or while running down a loop without any kind of skidding animation, screams shitty engine to me.

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I saw sonic running backwards in that video at 3:00. BACKWARDS. I saw no significant changes, and I certainly didn't see 'what the fans are asking for'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.