don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    There will be an official score for the game. We'll also be including the best of the approved pieces for playback as well. As for letting people just throw whatever they'd like in, I'm really not keen on that idea. To some it might be added value, and if that's what those people would like there's nothing preventing them from muting the game and firing up Winamp in the background. They'll be missing out on some incredibly well done remasters, but that's their choice.

Debug mode is a pretty vague question, so you'll have to elaborate on that. If you're talking Sonic 1 style debug where you could turn into rings and populate the game screen with them, there's no plans for that sort of thing currently. I really don't see how that adds anything significant, so it'll be upon those who want to see it to develop compelling arguments for it.

I'm also not sure what you're referring to with that extended camera comment.

HeartAttack, as you said that would definitely increase the game's requirements. And at the end of the day, this is still a 2D game, and we want as broad an audience as possible to be able to experience it. HDR lighting is much better suited to 3D titles in my mind. Don't even get me started on bloom. It has no place in Sonic 2.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The "Extended" camera is the one seen in Sonic CD - when Sonic is moving at a high speed, the camera shifts so obstacles ahead can be seen earlier.

3. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I think that with the 16:9 aspect ratio, there will really be no need for the extended camera thing.

4. You say "Sonic 1 style" like this hasn't always been in Sonic 2 as well...

I think S2HD should offer the same debug mode present in Sonic 2. Debug mode was often used for exploring, and with so many new details in the HD game I'm sure there will be plenty to explore. I think it will allow us to pay more attention to details we wouldn't be able to if our time was running out and we had to watch out for enemies, projectiles and such. It's just another way to have fun with the game (I know I had lots of fun with debug mode), I don't know why you'd take that out, it's part of the game.

5. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Except Sonic 2 HD is in a 4:3 aspect ratio, not a 16:9 aspect ratio.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    What aspect ratio is 1920x1080? The tech demo was in 4:3 but that doesn't mean the finished product will be.

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    That is standard widescreen 16:9 1080p. Commonly refereed as "full HD" resolution as that has become the standard for most HD displays.

8. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    lolwut?

No, the finished product will render at 1920x1080 natively. That's a 16:9 resolution.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I don't think that will be needed providing the Sonic 2 HD staff are going to stick to their guns about it being in full wide screen. Not only that but personally, I hope to god that doesn't get put in there. I can't stand it in Sonic CD.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Could you please explain these? I'm missing something here, but I thought the "official score" was what would come out of the Music thread.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

The official score will be the best of the music we've received. Was there some other part I could clear up for you? I didn't think it was all that vague to begin with.

12. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Oh, after reading that I read the original post again and I see what you mean now. Thanks.

13. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Theeeeen... what's the point of even being open to advice if you're not going to be open to suggestions? Anything said so far SEEMS to have been ignored. Why is there even a General Thread? For complain-posts like mine here? I'm not looking for a fight or anything, but I do find myself really growing apart from the project. It just looks like you are all saying: "Yeah, sure, keep the suggestions coming, not like we're gonna use em or anything."

My major issue is this:
    From the moment ideas got shared about something, you (talking about the entire S2HD crew here, don't feel focused) send them to a different thread where there's an entirely unrelated discussion going on about coding, undoubtedly destroying all chance of replies.

Again, I'm not searching for fights or light any fire on the "Where's the process?!!!"-drama, I'm just getting less and less interested every day and you know I am not the only one. But hey, it seems you got it all sorted out and I guess you just want to get the game running.

14. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    They've not pretended (recently) to use any or all suggestions given to them. You can suggest, but it doesn't mean they are going to consider your suggestion worth anything.

The rules for the Sonic 2 HD forum threads are different than the rest of the forum. You are pretty much allowed to derail what people are talking about at the moment as long as it broadly fits the scope of the topic. The only exception is the General thread, where you can talk about everything except topics already having their own threads.

15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

T-O, I read everything that's posted on this subforum, and see all the ideas, opinions, and suggestions that people have to add. You know as well as I do that it would not only be completely impossible to incorporate the vast majority of them, but that it would also move the game in some very random directions. Example -- if someone suggests a change to the core mechanics of the game, I'm probably going to let that pass by without responding because it's simply not going to happen. I've already stated as much repeatedly in the past. At the end of the day, not all suggestions are good ones, as I'm sure you're no doubt aware. We'll consider what people have to say, and I'll actively engage with people on the ones I feel have promise. You say suggestions are being ignored, but if you'd take a look over in the badnik thread you'd see suggestions already being taken into account with how Cerulean Nights is proceeding on his Rexon design. Which, ironically enough, is the very topic you pointed out to base your argument on. It's unfortunate that you're losing interest, as you're one of the few here who actually contributes artwork instead of just making suggestions along the way.

Yes, I asked people to move the discussion of the code related stuff to its relevant thread. It should have been there in the first place, and I let it go on for quite some time before requesting that people migrate it to where it belongs. That's not asking much, and it certainly wasn't stopping anyone from continuing it. If it didn't start back up again, that's personal choice on the part of those discussing the matter.

16. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Makes sense. The unfortunate thing is that most people don't have skills in art or music to really contribute. I may have a "keen eye for detail," but I suck at actually drawing things... My only real skills lay in programming, and that's mostly geared at porting to different platforms.

17. NAC

NAC

Operation Neptune 2011
    Instead of providing the user with the ability to incorporate their music with the game, just make toggle checkboxes on the menubar (or where ever, idk what the interface is if it hides itself or doesn't even exist, w/e) for music and sound effects on/off. I don't see why not.

edit: btw, I'm generally wondering why a lot of the HTZ items (I.e. seesaw-catapult, rocks, rexon, etc.) which look at least 'okay' aren't in the inker db...like at least as a WIP or anything. I'm just kinda fretting that the project isn't moving along as fast as it should...maybe I'm missing something :(

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    18 User(s) are browsing this forum (16 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

Creepy or what?

5 minutes later there are 4 people, all users.
    Its like a UFO siting. They were here and then vanished all simultaneously.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Okay, let's cut to the chase. The lava and dividing doors. 2:40

How are we going to fix this? We obviously can't keep it this way, it would look WAY out of place in a HD game.

20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    First off I'll have to make some special grass tiles that will allow the lava to flow through the tiles properly. Unless I find out there's another way I can do that.

For the door, we could just simply program it to shut once the lava gets to a spot where one would normally expect it to start spilling out. People might bitch about it, but you really can't plow through there fast enough to get to the door before the fire blocks it off unless you just say screw having any rings or get that invincibility before hand.

An added thought about the lava is that it could leave everything scorched and burned after it recedes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.