don't click here

The theme of Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Doppelgengar, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Sonic Boom, mother fuckers

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The Crush 40 themes, they've always sounded like a guy trying to sing over some guy playing a bunch of random cords trying to drown out a guy playing drums. I guess it's pretty representative of Sonic present day.

The Sonic 1&2 themes are 30 second loops not even owned by Sega, not exactly good theme fodder.

The Sonic 4 title theme is really bad.
    That's a good one.

3. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    I'm thinking of a theme in terms of retro Sonic, not Jun-really-likes-his-guitars Sonic, so anything Adventure forward is pretty much out of the question.

Mega Collection had a style of music similar to the classics, but I don't think its theme is fully representative to Sonic. The genesis Sonic themes would need an expansion in length, and they're catchy but I don't think they would quite fit the bill. AoSTH is lively, but not necessarily "cool", nor is it entirely... canon, I suppose. SatAM comes very close, but again, not mainstream canon.

That leaves Sonic Boom, or You Can Do Anything if it got a good cover and the vocals were redone to not sound blatantly Japan. If the latter were the case, then Toot Toot Sonic Warrior all the way, definitely.

4. tuddy

tuddy

You Can Do Anything or the Sonic 1/2 title theme get my vote. The latter is the more "mainstream" theme, I suppose, but the former fits the character more... once you can get past the pointless rapping and some of the more... nonsensical lyrics.

BONUS STAGE-

:v:

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    ^ Y'know, it actually sounds good performed that way... >.>

Today I found these while checking out Saturday Morning Sonic - unused theme songs for SatAM that were pitched to DiC before the show's format was finalised. (Click on tracks 3 through 7.)

They're pretty darn hilarious. I'm so glad they picked the one that they did for the finished show, though.

I also remembered that Sweet Dream / Sweet Sweet Sweet by DCT is pretty well identified with Sonic. Although the lyrics are a tad irrelevant, I do associate the melody with classic Sonic quite strongly. Should there ever be a decent Sonic film, Sweet Dream simply must play over the credits.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The theme from Sonic & Knuckles. Sure, 1&2's theme is more recognizable, but really S&K's theme is nearly perfect for any occasion with Sonic.

7. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    That, and Stranger in Moscow. :)

8. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    I disregarded what you said and just listened to Track 1 first. And holy shit, is that Back To The Future?

9. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom

I'm a hardcore Sonic 3/S&K fan, so I'm sure I heard this song a lot, but for me this tune is my personal Theme of Sonic.
    I always thought Sonic music (especially the first zone) should sound happy, although I'm not sure how to explain it well. That's how I imagined Sonic, like someone who does what he does while having fun, all the time. And this song, for me, is the best example of how I imagined Sonic back then (and probably still now).

The same can be said for the original too, but I really like this album so I choose this version.

10. Bozuit

Bozuit

UK
    Always, always, the theme from Sonic 1 and 2. Even when I was a kid I never liked the Sonic 3 theme and wondered why it was changed. At least adding on Sonic and Knuckles fixed the crappy invincibility music.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Obviously. I blame Retro for this, after hearing the opening of Megamix so much, it just stuck on my head.

12. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    The original Sonic Theme without a doubt.

If not, then Sonic Boom.

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    The Sonic 1 & 2 opening title theme, the Act clear theme thats been in most games since Sonic 3, and Sonic's theme in SA2 all strike me as what Sonic is all about.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

This is actually pretty amazing! I can not this as my first good memory of this song :D

The Sonic 2 theme still fits and should be rightfully returned! SEGA, buy his song BACK for good! Btw, it always pisses me off when certain games DON'T include the classic "Act Clear" theme. But what's funny is that Sonic 4's sounds like a step back in quality from the Sonic 3 counterpart....but it's all in the drums I suppose. I think now that since Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic games do follow a music tradition of sorts. Each game always has it's own MAIN theme and most of the songs within the game use elements from it. So in a weird way, that has been a longtime tradition for Sonic games.

15. Look-a-Like?
    Green Hill Zone?
    Open your Heart?

Nope..It has to appear often.

If I recall correctly, the first title theme appears a lot. But what song appears the most in the series?

16. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Robotnik's Theme(s)?

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    That changed in every game.

Sonic 1 and 2 had the classic sonic "theme" at the end of their credits music and on the title screen, I would say that tune outside of collecting emeralds and the act clear music showed up the most.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The most common themes in the entire series are drowning and S3 act clear. The only new track to keep showing up is the '06 Eggman theme, which was remade for Unleashed.

19. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    The Sonic 1&2 title music still defines Sonic's theme for me. Shame they don't use it often now.

Track 10 sounds like a pretty transparent sound-alike for the Indiana Jones theme too. Huh.

E.G.G.M.A.N was remixed for Shadow the Hedgehog before that.

20. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

To me, my choices in songs that define Sonic's "theme":

Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, the title themes from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, Open Your Heart, or It Doesn't Matter [SONIC ADVENTURE 1's version, SA2's is ok, but doesn't have that same deep musical "soul" if you know what I mean]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.