don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    you beautiful fucking genius, that is an amazing Knuckles model.

2. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    No, he hasn't, and we've been asking forever for a name.

Any more zone names and the order they go in?

That's some nice art by the way. Wish I had the patience for that, all I ever draw is anime shit and trippy posters.

3. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    No. No more zone names.

Thank you. By the way, who'll be making my designs into models anyways?

4. Tidbit

Tidbit

Probably one of the current modelers. And its nice to finally have a name. Though I have a feeling that we might have to make the story with out knowing the other zones. Not that it will be a problem or any thing...the current writers are gods.

Any ways, great job on the pencil work Greg. And Azu, just so you know, I can help with some idea sketch up stuff as well.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That scenery is fucking ace. Greg's getting really pro at this drawing stuff.

Oh, and the model looks great, too. I didn't think this project would actually get anywhere!

6. Volpino

Volpino

Well taking it a step at a time is always an option, there's still the board for posting archived ideas in case we would want to use them later, or we could just wait until we have an idea of how the game will be playing. Or we could wait until everything else is done, it's probably easier to script (possible) cutscenes and things in after the actual game is finished or fairly stable anyway.

7. Nice concepts. Here is a model I created today based on your design.
    [​IMG]

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It's a work of beauty. Really well done there.

9. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    OH SHIT.

I didn't expect the model to look THAT nice. Bloody fantastic work. So is the strawberry next?

10. Volpino

Volpino

You people are gods. ;_;

That tree is amazing, if we had graphics like that in an official Sonic game it would look awesome...

11. We did...in Unleashed.

Oh, and yes, we DID have graphics like that. What we didn't have, was the same or similar art-style.
    I think that's what you mean.

12. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    The model is lovely, but there's two things I'm worried about. As an insignificant modeler, take my suggestions with a grain of salt, should you wish.

How many polys is that tree using? I mentioned this on the other forums and the IRC (before there actually was a model crated from the concept art), but I imagined that, with all the extruded circles (both up and inward), the model would use a lot of polygons. Not a huge issue by itself, perhaps, but when you want to start adding them all over the level, it can become an issue. As well, judging by the edges in the leaves, it looks like the leaves are modeled individually; if that's the case, I suggest using long planes with the leaves textured on them to save polys. As for the trunk itself, I'm not really sure how to reduce polys, except to just use less vertices in the initial circle. I would think not very many vertices would be needed as it is, since tree trunks aren't normally something examined closely, but yah.

Another thing is the color; it feels bland, not saturated enough. For an example, here's the flower I modeled for the project (the .. um .. only prop I've actually created so far :ohdear:)

[​IMG]

I tried to keep the colors bright and surreal, without sacrificing the details I had put the time into looking decent. It usually doesn't take too much: open it in some image editing program, and increase the contrast/brightness as necessary =P

Enough complaining from me, ima take on the strawberry, if no one else is. Plants are fun, but the textures are a pain sometimes.

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Yeah, but let's remember not to saturate the colors TOO MUCH. In all honesty, too much saturation will eventually lead into seizure inducing Hyper Sonic work.

And good on you lad. Make that the best strawberry one would e'er gaze upon.

14. Volpino

Volpino

Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry, word fail.

Edit: If you need to tone up the colors without making the game seizure risk, maybe just make the green texture tilt a bit more to yellow, change the hue a little, in other words. If you make it too light, it'll look faded and pale.

About the trunk, my suggestion is make it have a red tint sort of like burgundy, and add a little more saturation to the stems to make them stand out a bit more against the leaves since they're smaller and making them a little more vibrant will make them more visible.

Just my input, don't kill me.

15. Actually, the poly count is precisely what I am worried about, too. I will be making another low-poly model for use in the game, and the high-poly model will be used for still renders (box art, backgrounds, animated sequences, etc). The tree's colors and texture are also going to be updated; the ones seen in my render are just placeholders used to test uv mapping, they are not final textures.

16. Volpino

Volpino

That concept art for the high polygon objects would be cool unlockables in the game if you found a certain amount of items in a level or did well on a time attack or something.

I think I brought that up on the FR forums actually, but I can't remember. Sorry if I repeat info.

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Yeah, you said that before.

Doesn't make it any less awesome an idea.

18. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Sorry about the leaves, Greg; I really wasn't sure how to go around creating leaves in the unique style you drew them in, and I'm no good at designing textures from scratch.

[​IMG]

Edit: So, ehr, this is apparently all that's actually required of the watermelon, being its use as a "safety flotation device". Made it easier, though; around 5 minutes of work :v:

[​IMG]

Of course, should the Project Overlord wish for more (vines, leaves, that kinda stuff), I'll happily oblige.

19. MikeTH

MikeTH

Ohio
    I think it looks good right now. The project does seem to have gone a long way since last time I looked at it, and so far I like the art style you guys are going for. Good luck you guys.

20. Volpino

Volpino

That strawberry looks amazing, I like the leaves. Um, what exactly is the strawberry for? Just a graphic or will it have a purpose?

I ask because the leaves remind me of platforms.