don't click here

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Lodmot, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    This will probably sound totally stupid, but some research actually made me wonder...
    Is there a way to get Sega CD to play VCD's?

According to the research I've done, Sega CD has a 1x speed CD drive, and quite conveniently enough, VCD's can be played in a 1x speed CD drive. Also, the console's resolution is 320x240 and a regular VCD's resolution is 352x240 (a bit wider, but not by much, and can probably be worked around somehow). I also read that the Sega CD has the Cinepak codec for video playback.. Not sure if that means anything, but I thought it was interesting.

So yeah.. This is just a crazy thought, but what do you think? :P

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    While simply putting in a disc and expecting it to work is probably crazy, there might be the option of creating a MD cartridge that can read the VCD and interpret it into video. I'm not sure if the video can be decompressed in real time on the Mega Drive, though.

3. Sintendo

Sintendo

VCD uses MPEG1 for video compression. Since the Sega CD had no dedicated MPEG1 hardware decoder, you'd have to do it software. I highly doubt that a Sega CD has the horsepower to decode an MPEG1 stream.

4. sasuke

sasuke

This also depends on whether the Sega CD drive can read the Mode 2 Form 2 ISO9660 format that VCD's are formatted with (removes the error correction from Mode 1 to get another 288 bytes of memory per sector).

This is slightly off topic, but is it possible for the Sega CD to read raw CD-DA data to one of the CPU's (not the audio DAC)?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Considering that the Saturn needed a dedicated video card to decode VCDs and that the only Sega system that I know can play VCDs without help is the Dreamcast, I think the MCD being able to do it - especially in software - is impossible.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    MCD wouldn't even have sufficient video resolution and color output for it to look anything good. There's a reason why all Sega cd fmv games looked like shit.

Saturn needed special decoder cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to do in software - very late saturn games used cri sfd videos which had mpeg1 compression. Granted, they weren't running fullscreen, but there is at least potential.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, the VU meter in the BIOS needs to get its data from somewhere, don't you think? (although I didn't check what could be used to do this...)

8. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Perhaps it could be pulled off by emulating MPEG-1 compression on the 32X. You'd have a wider range of colors and more powerful hardware to work with then. It would also put the Sega CD 32X to use. :P

I have no idea if this could actually work. It's all theoretical.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, there's only one way to find out...

10. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    That makes me curious... Are there CD-32X games with FMV sequences that actually look decent?

Hell yeah dude. Let's go for it! :D Lol.

11. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Well, here's an example of Night Trap for the CD 32X:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A32FXJIsn6A

It looks significantly better than the standalone Sega CD version, at least.

12. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Back in the day, MPEG-1 encoders and decoders weren't well optimized, so it is quite possible the reason they required additional hardware was because the software ones weren't efficient enough. Nowadays, a specially compiled ffmpeg containing ONLY mpeg-1 encoders and decoders is quite optimized and doesn't use nearly as many CPU cycles as old encoders and decoders available.

Additionally, all patents for MPEG-1 have expired, with the exception of MPEG-1 Layer III audio, otherwise known as the MP3 format. So you could even use MPEG-1 (without Layer III) for commercial work and generally be okay.

However, I wonder if it would be possible to use the less complex Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis formats for FMV...

13. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    The other thing though is, is the Sega Genesis processor able to handle that type of work? I heard somewhere else on this forum that it is the equivelant of an Intel 386. o3o

14. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    MPEG-1 can and has played on 386 machines before. Granted, playback SUCKED, but it did work. It would probably be easier to try to use Ogg formats on a 386 because it is computationally simpler than the MPEG-1 format.

15. RamiroR

RamiroR

No way, the Genny's 68k nor SCD's 68k wouldn't be fast enough to do realtime MPEG-1 decoding D=.
    I think the only way to do that would be having some hardware decoder... so not. :P

16. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    You won't get real-time playback of MPEG1 video on the 32X. You'd be looking at 80x60 10Hz video (or worse). There's a reason nearly all 32X FMV is cinepak... the same reason 386's and the like used cinepak or similar level video codecs. That's not to say the 32X isn't capable of better - with the advance in codecs, some techniques used in more recent codecs could be used to make a better codec aimed at the 32X specifically. Just don't fool yourself that you can run VCDs on the 32X... it would be lucky to decode the audio on the VCD in real-time.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wow, no, the 386 is definitely much faster than the 68k =/

18. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    I think he meant the SH2. The SH2 could be considered about the same power as the 386. I think the SH2 is easier to program, though. :eng101:

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm linking it anyway because it's amazing.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I suspect that's being done the same way the Sonic CD and Sonic 3D intros were done - art stills that are just rendered one after the other. Not really a video so much as a high speed slideshow. Nevertheless, pretty neat!