don't click here

Okay, let's brainstorm

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BuffaloWilder, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    Might have had this thread once before - I don't know.

Anyway - Sega representative calls you up one night, she says to you she says, "hey, you seem like a pretty knowledgeable Sonic fan. We're making a movie - we want your input, exclusively."

What DO you say, after you pick your jaw off the floor?

I'd say - Do it completely silent. Make it a pantomime. Pattern it off stuff like George Miller's Mad Max 2, where it's basically an exploration of what you can do with speed, motion and kinetics on screen centered around a relatively simple Sonic 1 - based plot - pit Sonic and Robotnik against each other, nature against industry, in surreal, dreamlike environments. One big, long chase movie. Good helping of visual humor.

Okay, you go.

Oh, and Sonic looks like this.

[​IMG]

+ - No, not really.  

2. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

First, you say NO, then, you get outta there.

3. tuddy

tuddy

Just remake the OVA, but get either Madhouse or Toei to animate it. Probably redo both voice tracks (English and Japanese) with the game voice actors, and do the English dub in-house. IE - don't let 4Kids anywhere near it.

Or just do some crappy live action Michael Bay movie with CGI animals and hyper-realistic Eggman, because I know that's what SEGA would do without fan input.

4. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    ...you know what would be interesting?
    Studio Ghibli.

I wonder...

5. serpx

serpx

If there's no plan for it to be released in theaters, then definitely look at the OVA for inspiration.

For a theater release, I wouldn't mind a high-budget 3D Sonic film, after thinking about it. As long as it's not too kiddy. Again, OVA for inspiration -- a nice mix of fun and seriousness please. The film should be targeted for everyone, and appeal more for teens than eight-year-olds.

6. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Lol.

I'd just get the guys over at VE to do a film with graphic stylings and a light-hearted humorous tone similar to Unleashed/Colors. Alternatively yeah Ghibli, just because I want to see this (can't find the whole thing so I'm borrowing Solid SOAP's avatar) in action:

[​IMG]

And it would be nice to see an anime Sonic film without catgirls in it. I mean really.

7. Fwiss

Fwiss

I would think it was a dream or a prank call, and give them the most outrageous idea I could think up on the spot. "Well, it should be live-action, and... Sonic should be played by... T.J Maxx. Tails should be played by Ellen DeGeneres. Robotnik would DEFINITELY be played my one of Michael Jackson's relatives. The Storyline should be based off Sonic '06, being a fan favorite. Make sure not to spend too much on special effects, though. Fans hate that."

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    A movie?

"Cancel it. Use that money to make a better videogame first."

9. Skaarg

Skaarg

[​IMG]
    :v:

I'm kind of in the same boat as a few others do either a sequel to the OVA or use it for inspiration on a new movie. The Sonic OVA is probably the best animated Sonic over all the TV series.

10. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I'm going to be completely honest here. I want to see that movie made. The one in the poster above? Yeah.
    Bonus points if it comes out like a Sonic version of Dragonball Evolution.

As long as it doesn't go from 'so bad it's good' to 'so bad it's terrible'.

11. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    While I admit seeing the Sonic equivalent to the Mario movie would be awesome, after seeing Unleashed, Night of the Werehog, and whats been shown of Colors, I think SEGA could make a great movie.

I'd tell them to use those 3 examples as a basis, keep Eggman the villain, limited dialogue, cute but ramps up nicely to serious near the end and packed with humor throughout. Sonic, idk, a mix of Night of the Werehog and OVA if possible. This would win the Pixar crowd, and thats not just kids XP. Then I'd try to get them to make a sequel to both the OVA and SatAM, direct to DVD obviously.

12. Lodmot

Lodmot

USA
    Xtremely Sonic Engine
    I'd personally like to see a movie based off the SatAM cartoon. That would be kick-ass.

13. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    I could imagine that, if done in the Futurama method, A few direct to DVD 2 hour releases, it'd act as both movie and Season 3, and wouldnt cost as much. As a theatrical release, that'd be a bad and costly mistake.

14. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I think making a Sonic movie would be ridiculous. There are a lot of animated features that can barely justify having a length of ninety minutes anyway. I'd make a two-reel cartoon. Sonic and his speed along with a fat scientist who runs like a chicken with a shitload of technology at his disposable should be rife for all sorts of visual gags. If you want a serious story involving things getting roboticized with everyone thinking Sonic has died for a whole fifteen seconds in a dramatic battle, enjoy having the movie tank. No one is going to pay nine bucks to see a movie about a blue hedgehog that runs around at the speed of sound. It'd have to be alongside an actual movie.

15. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    How much are they paying me?

16. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Okay, so we use that as a basis.

Then we throw in Green Hill Zone, Scrap Brain, Metropolis Zone, Death Egg, and Hill Top. Make sure the environment looks heavily inspired by the games, but with realistic details. You know, something like this:

[​IMG]

Then we go ahead, we take the SatAM Robotnik. He has Badniks instead of SwatBots, and he also has Workerbots. And for Robotnik's design, we make his mustache bigger and we make the strands of hair really flamboyant and prickly. According to my calculations that and the head were the two major things people hate about his design. SO, we return to a regular, well rounded brain pan for his head while keeping him quite roundish and heavy.

Oh and have an epic battle between Sonic and Metal Sonic. Because while I personally hate the OVA, the Metal Sonic battle is ace. Plus, they used that beautiful Sonic CD design that I love so much on Sonic.

17. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    Happy Feet was about dancing penguins. Therefore your argument is invalid.

18. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I would make a Sonic movie that would purposely bomb. It would be incredibly realistic, have dialogue with obscure references to past Sonic games as a means to jerk off fans and incredibly dark backstories for all the characters. Oh and robots with Badnik names that look nothing like them.

As a marketing trick to attract all aspects of the fandom, I would make sure to put elements from various Sonic continuities (AoSth, SatAM, Archie, etc.).

19. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    "Is this some kind of a joke?"

EDIT: Seriously, I'd say that.

Off-topic: Mods, can I have my user-name changed to OKeijiDragon please? I'm trying to establish a universal internet name for me. Thank you.

20. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Let's see...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind an OVA based off Sonic the Hedgehog 1, like how the Super Mario OVA was based around Super Mario Bros. ...somewhat. Classic design of Sonic used, of course. As for the voice...well, honestly, the 4Kids Voice Actors have grown on me, and it would make me a bit saddened if they left. So, yeah, I don't mind Jason doing the voice. However, if the OVA was made after the 4Kids' retirement (if that happens, due to contract or something), definitely get Sean Schemmel to do it. His Goku's voice works wonders for Sonic in my opinion.

I can't think of an original plot, other than Eggman taking over the world, unless they decide to make an OVA based off Sonic Unleashed, which would be nice in my opinion. Like someone mentioned, get either Studio Ghibli to make the movie, or the people who made Night of the Werehog. Either one works, but I personally would love to see Ghibli do it. Their style would be pretty nice on Sonic. Voice actors...as I mentioned, I don't mind Jason and the rest of the 4Kids cast, but if they were to get new voice actors, definitely get some of Funimation's to help out. Schemmel would be great for Sonic while Sabat would work for Shadow, and probably many other characters as well, but that's just me.

...That's all I got.

EDIT: I know Schemmel also does voice acting for 4Kids as well. Just saying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.