don't click here

Sonic 2 Unimpossible

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ShadowsofYesterday, Mar 19, 2009.

1. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    This is rad.

If Tails could be really fast when he is flying, that would even out the characters a lot.

I realize you're probably not going to make another release but I really like this hack!

2. Just having a version of it makes my day since I lost it and couldn't get it back. Sorry to hear that the project is gone. If I knew how to hack I would offer some assistance, but unfortunately my knowledge in this topic is the equivilent of looking at a can of concentrated orange juice. I simply don't know nor can figure it out no matter how much I try. It was good while it lasted and hopefully you may get some help someday and it will become complete. Don't give up hope on it.

WG

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    If you're still wanting to work on this, I can continue ASM work like I did before if you have anything to add.

4. Alan

Alan

If this does get continued there is a bug in Metropolis. The yellow wall bounce thing, allows you to quickly pickup rings before the game over screen causing you to overflow the life counter.

5. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Is that with the new version? pretty sure I fixed that...

6. Alan

Alan

I was playing the version on page 8 post #120. I have been trying to recreate it again today and it's quite hard to pull off, I only got it to happen three times and lots of failed attempts. You must have to bounce off just at right place.

7. Emerl

Emerl

So I played through this for a bit:
    Invincibility not giving ring lives = epic win
    Game freezes on the Time Over screen
    Game freezes on the Continue screen (much to my disgust, as I had been accumulating lives from special stages)
    Oh, and I managed to overflow the life counter at some point. I can't remember where or how, but it happened.

8. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    The freeze on the Continue screen was something I was aware of, but it's not really something I can do anything about, as that was a bug introduced by something SMTP did. When I brought it up with him, he said he had tested it hundreds of times and had never gotten the crash, and asked for the latest version (even though it was just the version he had sent me). As I recall, he still never got the crash, or else he couldn't figure out what caused it. One or the other, or perhaps both.

Anyway, my only advice is to either not collect more than one Chaos Emerald (as if you only have one continue, it's fine), or to not get a Continue screen.

As for the Time Over screen, I don't really know what would cause that, but it's likely related. I don't remember ever experiencing that crash personally, but it's been quite some time since I've worked with this rom hack.

Really, I made this at a time when I didn't know much about rom hacking, so this was my first ever serious attempt at a rom hack. I did a lot of the coding myself at first, but it was very sloppy until SMTP came in and cleaned up some stuff and did bugfixes and other small feature additions/removals for me. In any case, this was basically an incomplete beginner's hack, and if Unimpossible is ever to live again, I'd prefer to just do the whole thing over from scratch. There's progress already made on it and everything, and I still have all the old files for it, but it was too sloppily thrown together and it's been too long since I've worked with it. It'd be better off with a clean slate.

9. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Does anyone still have the latest version? the download links in this thread are a little bit deaded.

10. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Ah yeah, just give me a moment to reupload again...

Here you go. It SHOULD be the latest version, I think. Like I've said before, I had a lot of different versions sitting around, and it's been a long time since I've worked with any of them.

11. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Cheers dude.