don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

Do you mean like it's too thick and large?

Edit: WIP2 (I realise I'm making excruciatingly slow progress):

[​IMG]

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Mmmmh, no, the opposite really. I think it's good in shape, just not in style. It's too basic as of yet.

3. zemulii

zemulii

Ah I see. Well I suppose I can style it up and make it more interesting later :). If I can think of anything... Hmm so not many people have commented so far. I'm going to assume that means no one's seriously offended by it? Being really lazy... I should just get this thing done.

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I don't see why anyone is pushing for T.O. to finish his. I mean, its form is near perfect, needing IMO only a strengthening of the right upper knot and an increase in saturation. He wants to and can do all of HTZ's objects; let him do it. No offense, Zemulii, it's just that yours has farther to go than his, and in the interest of speed and efficiency, it makes sense to side with T.O.

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Yeah I partly apologize for not commenting. I just find that if my comment isn't constructive and specific its just going to get lost either in the readers mind or physically in the pages of the topic. But at the same time I get frustrated when I post artwork and get no feedback so I can understand with you there. Also at the same time I don't feel right jumping on something that is clearly an unfinished WIP. So I'll say what I can.

For better or worse the leaves are clearly detached. And the shading of the perfect cylinder makes it all the more apparent.
    Perhaps that they aren't leaves at all, and its been mentioned. That perhaps it is peeling layers of the vine itself.
    I do think that the vine should look worn with imperfections, but at the same time have the vividness that your version has that test-object's is lacking.
    Your vine should be thinned slightly, perhaps to the middle of the pixel of the original sprites dark green outline. (Right now I think you go all the way to edge of the outline)
    I shouldn't be seeing white at the top of the vine where its attached. Its distracting. I understand that it should look unstable, but the top should be secured. It is the bottom where it falls apart.

I'm curious to see what test-object's vine would look if it was thicker and more vivid. I'm not a fan of its extreme shading either. There are near whites highlights, pure black shadows, and the green is very pale.

Here is something applies to both yours and test-objects.
    When the vine begins wrapping itself around the top vine it becomes thicker because its flattening itself out and the weight of the platform pull down on it.
    Think of it as an empty paper towel tube being squished.

6. zemulii

zemulii

@Hamneggs:

Well I've got nothing against test-object polishing up his own version. I mean it's a community project, so I don't really mind if another version is chosen over mine in the end, but I don't see why I should stop work on it. The more to choose from the better... and as long as it helps in some way, it's worthwhile. Even if just as a basis for comparison. I don't agree at all with the "just let him do everything because he can". If we're going to take that attitude then why is anyone else even here? Sure he can do them all if he really wants to, but it shouldn't stop anyone else working on their own versions.

@MaximusDM:

The leaves I only hastily chucked in there to make it look a bit different to the last image I posted ;). They only took a few seconds, just placeholders really. Hmm, yeah it's hard to tell what they actually are. I asked about that earlier but I'm not really convinced either way (since the pixels are so vague). It should be pretty easy to do two versions though. Although the peeling idea - that's new to me, and does sound interesting!

As far as the perfect cylinders go... I'm just not sure what to do with them. I decided to just leave them as they are for now while I do the other parts. I'll have to experiment a bit with the worn/imperfections thing though. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's slightly too thick! It's been kind of irritating me whenever I look at it.

I didn't fully intend for that gap to be there :(. It just sort of happened as I was drawing it. And then I couldn't be bothered fixing it up (but I'll be more inclined to now someone else has pointed it out!).

Oh that squishy thing... is that why the sprite looks like that? I couldn't figure out why it looked so large at the top. That might explain it... can't say I've ever really felt a vine before so I wouldn't know :S.

Thanks for your feedback :).

7. test-object

test-object

I currently am in the midst of my exams, hence why I stopped working in the middle of that piece's process. Others can work on stuff as well in the meanwhile, it leads to more options to choose from, and sometimes even inspiration.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Me too, I think it's almost perfect already and its shape shouldn't be tampered too much with.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'm back home, but it's fairly late here and I'm exhausted from spending hours and hours driving today. Expect the progress report and accompanying announcement sometime tomorrow.

10. test-object

test-object

OMGFABBQ!

[​IMG]

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yes, those colors are looking much better.

12. test-object

test-object

My Fry fro is all frizzled!

[​IMG]

13. It looks great! :) But, shouldn't the vines wrap around the hooks on the blue basket?

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm loving the looks of all that.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Well I'm still wondering how that thing's supposed to move/slide down the vine thing; I mean, how can it be attached, yet able to move without serious friction building up?

Surely it'd be more logical if it unravelled at the top end of the vine, rather than get un-attached from the platform itself.

Now if we were to do this, we could have the vines flapping in the wind as the platform falls down to its doom - it would be far more realistic (and much cooler) than just seeing the vines dangle down as the platform drops away.

16. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I still think there is too much contrast with the extreme gradients. The whole thing should be just as vibrant as it is in the center of the vine. I'm fine with the shadows of the top of the left vine because it seems like it would make sense with the wrap on top, but it should be more subtle.

I also never fixed my platforms. You can see how edgy it is from the downsizing that I later realized was a photoshop setting that I never went back to change when I was downsizing graphics. I had turned off the smoothing because I was working with sprites. But then when I started working on my stuff I didn't forgot to turn it off which is why the hooks and bottom edges are so sharp with no aliasing. The poles definitely need a much harder dark crease in them. And I honestly don't know how to interpret the sprite as far as what kind of shape it is supposed to be.

Neat interpretation of the top of it.

17. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    For a concept, it's a very interesting direction. If you want to improve it beyond that, the colors need to be adjusted. The main vine itself is fairly dark, looks desaturated. Take a look at how Zemulii did the colors for an idea where to go there. I'm also liking his idea for the small leaves coming off it. I'd like to see what other interpretations you can come up with for those T-O.

18. zemulii

zemulii

Lets just call this a concept for now. I really don't think I have the time to work on this too much right now (although that's probably pretty obvious by how much has been done to it).

With the left knot there it really does make the right knot look quite odd... Next time I'm definitely working in vectors. I think I can appreciate the ease of altering shapes that little bit more now :P.

[​IMG]

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Since it's only a concept, I'll only point out very little including the fact that the knot on the ride side looks quite tighter for the sprite version. It looks way too loose in the concept form. Also, are the vines likely to be tied around the blue half circle things in the final version?

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Will there be an alpha mask around the inside of each of the knots to make it look like it actually wraps around the vine, not shaped in a way that it somehow looks like it?

EDIT:
    Okay, on Zemulii's this exists, but not yet on T.O.'s. I recommend you fix this soon, Test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.