don't click here

Rumor: Sega survey mentions Sonic prequel and multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    Tell that to the continuity freaks who want to know every detail of every little thing. The Sonic community kind of has that with the Archie comics.

2. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member

Jerry Needlemouse, anyone?

Needlemouse vs. Gluthawk.

+ - King of the Hawks.  

3. The partial purpose of the comics is for that to be an outlet. Comic books by their nature tend to be continuity-focused and character-driven, because they're static stories. Games don't necessarily need all that, since most of their entertainment value comes from the gameplay, though story can sometimes play a part.

And plus, a lot of continuity freaks DON'T want to have official statements on origins and details, since it's more fun to speculate.

4. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

I hope Sega doesn't make this prequel (if it should be true that is), I mean, with Sonic 4 and Colours, light seems to shine on this series again somehow, and with a prequel, they could MAJORLY fuck up. Even bigger than 06! Its a prequel, it cannot just rub itself out of existence like 06 did storywise .... well it could, but what would be the point of it being a prequel then. ^^

To put it simple: no Sega, please don't!

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    All I can say very loudly is OMG FUCK NO! The only person who should ever touch a Sonic prequel is Oshima and I can't see that happening. If it does happen it's likely to be Iizuka in charge, so it will be some sort of SA2, ShTH type bollocks.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    If it was a hack of Sonic 1, why not?

As long as it is made of Genesis graphics, and is fun and creative, do it.

...Otherwise, no.

I kind of had an idea for a Sonic 0 of sorts for a fangame before. It looked more like Bubba'n Stix than anything else.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    + - You play as four multi-colored hedgehogs trying to find their mother after being separated in a storm. The four of you have separate unique abilities and you must co-operate with each other to solve the various level puzzles based on your abilities. At the end of the game you discover that your mother has been turned into a robot by a mad scientist. The four hedgehogs fight to save their mother but the robot conversion proves to be too much for the family of hedgehogs. You fail to save your mother but momentarily stop the mad scientist' schemes at the cost of two of your brothers. Your sister, the pink one, doesn't remember you and you live your life in exile fighting the man who destroyed your family and avoiding your sister's advances. I need to go to sleep.  

8. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I understand, and it makes me wonder if they would attempt doing that with the rumored prequel. Then again, this might not be a prequel for the classic games but for another Sonic game?

I don't care where the stuff I like comes from and I'm in agreement, if fans want more of an in depth look at Sonic's origin their are several comic book series which have their own explanation.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

From what I can see, a prequel to Sonic would simply not work. To our minds, it would seem wierd to have a fully 3D or "Newer looking" 2D game play before the originals. Not only that, but story-wise, it would have to be very simplistic, and NOT follow that stupid Robotnik-had-something-to-do-with-a-creation-of-Sonic-involving-Sonic-being-a-normal-hedgehog-at-some-point-when-all-of-his-friends-are-wierd-animals-too-creating-more-questions-that-it-answers-and-potentiially-threatening-the-history-of-Sonic-as-a-classic-game-character thing.

In the beginning, there were fantastic environments, lush and colourful, with catchy music. The bosses were simple but noteworthy in their designs, and Sonic didn't say a word or talk either.

Also, Sonic has always been ambiguous in his own history. I think it shouyld be left that way.

Then again, I don't think that the poll is something to take too much notice off.

10. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.

Scary but even more frightening is that sounds like it would fit Heroes type game play, didn't some one at Sega say that such a game was in production.

11. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    To store the animals until the Flying Battery comes round to collect the pods and take them to the Veg-O-Machine? :specialed:

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, somewhat related, but I remember once on that Q/A thingy at Sonic Central somebody asking about how Sonic got that speed, and the answer being that Sonic always was like that since he could remember, so I guess he was just born like that.

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    My educated guess as far as the "prequel" business goes and the mention of classic Sonic on the survey is that this is a way to get around Iizuka's adamance that the current Sonic design is the unifying look of the character, and that Sega has interpreted the call for a classic Sonic model as a way to do a sort of earlier continuity a la the Mega Man series.

However, this is probably the worst possible thing they could do with such a notion; the idea of taking an everyman protagonist such as Sonic and giving him a backstory defeats the whole point of his being an everyman. The people who are interested in that sort of thing have the television shows and comics as it is; there's no reason to bring such nonsense into the games. In fact, I think we can trace about four or five different backstories with the current literature, so why add yet another?

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    What a terrible idea. Honestly, if they wanted to use Classic Sonic in some form they could've used him in Sonic the Hedgehog 4, or at least a DLC addon which would please many.

Want a better idea? Make Sonic 5 a classic-only game, except that game'll come out in 2021.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Since there's no link or source to this "survey" I'm already calling bullshit on this.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Isn't Sonic 4 technically a prequel?

It happens before Sonic Adventure, after all.

17. Well, technically, but this game is supposed to happen before Sonic 1, according to the survey.

EDIT: You know, this has only been said to be a prequel, not an origin story. This could just be an excuse to use the classic design. (Though knowing SEGA, an origin story is just as likely)

18. Does anyone have a link to this survey?

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.

Uh, guys, Q & A Research isn't a pollmonkey thing. It's consumer research. It's not going to be a public link.

20. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    How could they make an origin story out of Sonic? :psyduck:

I mean, Sonic 1 had zero background aside "Sonic good, Eggman bad". Unless they base it off that "Sonic Bible" they gave to SoA at that time they have no.........

Oh-oh......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.