don't click here

Would you buy 2006 if they finished it?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lava-Snarl, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The reason it was so glitchy and mediocre was due to Sega rushing them, right? They couldn't add what they wanted, complete what they wanted, check it correctly, etc.

It seems like a good game to me. A bit useless due to the way the plot ends but good nevertheless. If only it had a finished Wii version..

2. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    I've said this a lot of times, but in short: YES. Had it been done, polished, and in general had more care put into it, it would've had the potential to be Sonic Adventure 3, and that would've been great. Silver's story was already enjoyable as it is (as he can just float over and throw around the same failed attempts at badly-programmed platforming that led to so much pain for Sonic and Shadow), and if the rest of the game managed to do what it was trying to do successfully, I'd call it one of the best games.

3. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    I suppose if it was fun to play, why not? However, still lots of problems aside from programming.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I would buy Sonic Adventure 3, yes.

5. Shade

Shade

Levels, music, and gameplay were all great. It would have been a fine Sonic Adventure 3.

6. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

Now with twice the sprites. Member
    North Carolina
    STILL trying to get these damn spam bots off the Open Sonic forum.
    Heh, believe it or not, the first version was actually pretty fun to play.

Why?

It was so bad, it was eventually hilarious.

In multiplayer especially. I have found many things you could do since they screwed it up so badly. (For example, here's a fun glitch. Select the red shoes as Sonic in multiplayer mode, jump into a pit, and activate the slow mode as you die, keeping the button held down. Sonic will move twice as fast at normal speed. You can deactivate this by selecting slow again, and activating it once. Maybe you guys already know this, maybe not. I just found it myself, though.)

Also, the sheer hilarity of watching my friend get stuck inside of a cage due to a glitch was priceless... (in the last case on Wave Ocean, she was stuck inside, continually hitting the spring, but going nowhere.) Also, throwing eachother out of the level into an empty space using Silver was funny as well (Try throwing the opponent, and when you do, tell him to not touch a single button to achieve these)... in Crisis City, you can throw Sonic or Shadow so far out of bounds that they die TWICE. In Wave Ocean, if Silver catches them in the air, and throws them, the thrown character might bounce off the water's surface, going into more unused areas. Heck, I even wound up in Shadow's part of Wave Ocean (With the buggy).

Other than that, the game was horrible, though. The light dash sucked (especially once you get the ability to bounce), they offered a cheat code in the shop (Purple ring basically lets you go anywhere, no matter how glitched), and they really should've improved the story. Whose idea was it for Sonic and a human girl to fall in love? How does a being of complete darkness and a lava monster create a Sun God? Why the heck is Eggman so damn weird looking?

If they fixed all the glitches and redid the story, this game would be much better. But it wouldn't be half as hilarious.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Nobody really HATES sonic '06 hell we could've got over that whole eliseXsonic thing if it was just fucking finished. it had potental to be a great game if they had more time they could've added supersonic!

So yeah if they ever did release a DX version for Sonic '06 with all of its glitches/bugs fixed I'd buy it in a red hot second.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I already bought 2k6, so fuck yes.

(I mainly play with 2006's physics, instead of playing the actual game.)

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find people within the fanbase who WOULDN'T buy a completed version. Especially one with a functional Super gem. Like despite the story being complete bollocks, there was loads of potential awesome in the gameplay. Too bad it ended up as a glitchy pile of nonsense.

10. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    I bought the beta, so I suppose my opinion is null

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    If it were finished, sure, but if the poor design choices they made (I.e. TAILS SUCKS, etc.) were still there, it'd still suck, it'd just not be as funny.

12. Skaarg

Skaarg

Sonic 06 was probably my favorite Sonic game since SA2. I completed the whole game and actually enjoyed it. The only thing that was really frustrating was the running from the tornado bit that seemed the most buggy to me when playing. If they fixed the glitched in it and the load times it would probably be one of the best 3D sonic games.

Let's put it this way. I finished Sonic 06 but I couldn't finish Unleashed because of the werehog levels.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The game had several other issues aside from just being a mess in a technical sense. Uninteresting characters, an embarrassing story along with cringe worthy dialouge, a large quantity of bland and empty environments, terrible controls and character switching ruining the flow of some stages.

Maybe you won't fall into the same lava pit 10 times, but that's not going to make the overall experience better.

14. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    If they made it more technically competent, as well as change some of the more annoying level design choices, why not? The worst thing about 06 is that it had great potential, but it was squandered due to technical incompetence. To see that potential realized would be great.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Chimpo nailed it. Sonic '06 was an abysmal game on all possible counts; I'd even go so far as to say that the gameplay was the least of my concerns with the game. It was virtually everything that a Sonic game shouldn't be.

16. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Possibly.

But unless it was part of a collection of other games, certainly not for full-retail.

17. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I agree with this. Honestly a "finished" game wouldn't make up for the poor story and design choices in general. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think even if they fixed all the problems (that any standard game, especially this day and age really shouldn't have anyway), it still wouldn't improve the experience that much unless some drastic changes were made to the graphics, level layout, story, and just some of the other concepts in general. Maybe some of that was planned, but who knows. I was going to bring up the characters breaking up the flow of the game earlier, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Even for an Adventure-style game, I feel like it still wouldn't hold the same appeal as say SA2, or even Shadow (yes, as bad as it was, at least the game actually flowed). Adding to that the fact that the gameplay style was already very much outdated by that time (in my opinion - they'd been running on the same exact system with no significant change for three console generations), and in a lot of ways it was doomed from the start anyway. Sad to say, I think "finishing" the game for the majority of those who played it would make it bearable, not good. :/

To answer the question, I already got the game for Christmas (though I didn't sell it, mainly because I never really sell games, and even then, it wouldn't be one of the ones to go). I wouldn't buy a slightly enhanced version, but if this was 2006 and I had never experienced it yet, sure, I would buy it. It would be better no doubt, especially without those ridiculous load times, which is probably the biggest problem for me. But I think the entire concept behind it all is a joke in and of itself.

Come to think of it, maybe even the story wouldn't be so bad if the writing wasn't so hilariously abysmal. I'm glad the writing sucks though, it just makes the game that much more hilarious and quotable. I hope they play off it for jokes in future games, now that they're finally going for a humorous tone.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The only things that didn't necessarily suck about Nextgen was the level design (NOT the object placement in-level but the actual layout), Eggman and his mechs, and the music.

If anyone could successfully put the levels, Eggman and mechs, and the music in SA1 or SA2's engine (with obvious HD 720p/1080p and 60 fps), I'm sure it would've been at least 20000X better than the original.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Your right about everything else. But gameplay wise, It was about as close to SA3 as we were ever going to get. It seems like after STH06 everything moved on from a adventure style-type game to a rush style-type of game even with the wii titles. Don't think were going to see an adventure style-type game anytime soon :(.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I don't see how the game being close to Sonic Adventure 1 changes anything. It doesn't make it a better game, and it doesn't make it a worse game. It doesn't make it anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.