don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Classik

Classik

SEGATA SANSHIRO Member
    Kentucky, USA
    ACT SIXTEEN STUDIOS
    They listened to us! They actually FUCKING listened to us! Unleashed - Werehog + More Colorful Graphics + Better Wii Hedgehog Engine = I shit my drawers.

Thank you SEGA, Thank you.

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Fix'd. God fucking damn it, I swear the next time I have to tell someone that the Hedgehog Engine is a fucking rendering engine I am going to rage fucking hard as all fucking shit. Fuck.

3. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Might buy a Wii just to play this + Sonic 4.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    This is correct. The Hedgehog Engine is about graphics, lighting, and rendering stuff fast enough that you can move seamlessly through a fifteen-mile stretch of beautiful graphics with nary a pause for load times. It's a 360/PS3 graphics engine. Wii can't handle it and more than it can handle God of War III or Crysis 2.

However, the Wii can handle good character handling, creative visuals in GameCube-grade graphics, and smooth camera transitions. Seriously, watching Colors in action really calls attention to how half-assed Unleashed Wii was by comparison, doesn't it?

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

It is quite surreal. I find it a little disorienting to see all of these game journalists turn around and make these positive articles as though the past seven years never happened. I almost wonder if we stepped into some kind of time vortex where the last Sonic game released was Sonic Adventure 2.

Colors does look amazing, especially considering how ready I was to dismiss the game when it was first announced. For some reason, Sweet Mountain reminds me of Zool. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

6. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Sweet Mountain actually reminds me of Castle of Magic's dessert level, which is made of cake and lollipops.

[​IMG]

7. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I'm so jealous of Wii owners right now! The gameplay, music, Sonic's voice... It's all fantastic... I need a Wii!

8. I don't get all the Comparisons to Classic Sonic.

Sonic 4 is trying to be classic Sonic. SO you can tear that game apart if its subpar.
    Sonic Colours is clearly trying to be everything except classic Sonic. Its about time we respected the deviation, and appreaciated the game being fun, rather than keep saying "Oh did doesn't have the wide-open level designs of the classics." or "It doesn't have roll or momentum physics". Colours isn't the sequel to Sonic 3K, and never will be, so why can't we observe it for what it is; a game designed purely to be as fun as all heck.

Rant over

The game looks incredible. I can't wait to have fun with it.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    No one's bagging it for not being classic Sonic. On the contrary, a lot of people love the look and feel of this game. What I was saying is that it'd be easy to incorporate other elements that people generally like about the classic Sonic games in pursuit of the perfect modern Sonic formula. As it is though, it already looks like it's heading in a good direction, it's just me thinking aloud, not a call for the Sonic Colours team to actually make changes.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Actually, Scar, that's probably why the game's getting more consistently positive reception than Sonic 4 is, to the point where people think it looks like a better game.

The things people criticize in Sonic 4 are the points on which they feel it falls short of Sonics 1-3&K, and those criticisms are all reactions to the promise of a game like Sonics 1-3&K. Sonic Colors is getting a positive reception despite its deviations from classic gameplay because it doesn't promise classic gameplay. Nah, it promises to answer the major complaints regarding modern Sonic titles and their pointless gimmicky alternative gameplay styles and pace-killing issues, particularly Sonic Unleashed, focusing on the core gameplay with its own brand of originality, and by all appearances it delivers on that promise, so the only people who really find major fault with it are the people who never took a liking to the idea behind that promise in the first place.

Simply put, Sonic 4 attracts so much scrutiny and criticism because it has big shoes to fill and doesn't seem to have grown into them yet. Sonic Colors attracts enthusiasm and optimism because it seems to be a massive improvement over a very small pair of shoes. Partly, it's the charm of advancement and innovation, but primarily, it's the psychology that springs from peoples' opinions of the games that came before.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    In the most recently direct feed footage, that really doesn't sound like Jason Griffith.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Just a friendly reminder to keep this about Colors.

This is starting to dive into comparison territory over what does what better.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, looking at one QTE in two separate playthroughs, it looks like the timing can affect the jumps... but it's probably just me, I guess. But I swear that the final height Sonic got was different.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Aye-aye, cap'n. We'll speak no more of Sonic 4 here, I'm just explaining my thoughts on why general reception to Colors is how it is to Scartillery. It's kind of hard to do that without mentioning the other game we're anticipating right alongside it, with marginally different attitudes, when the subject is comparisons to classic gameplay... considering the nature of that other game.

The point is basically that it looks like a solid, consistent, well-paced, fun, fun, fun game, and for Sonic Colors, that's the core expectation, whereas with that other game, the core expectation is a lot more specific.

As for Griffith, actually, I think it did sound like him. Keep in mind, it's just grunts, and as he refines his act, those are the things that wind up most altered, the minor in-game emotes. Compare '06 to Unleashed. No contest, you can barely tell it's the same actor. But when I listen carefully, it does sound like Griffith's Sonic voice, so I'm sure it is him.

He's been kicking things up a notch with almost every game he's appear in since the '06 disaster, so I won't be surprised if Colors continues that happy trend.

15. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Thanks for reminding me to talk about this, was just reading through the topic. Basically they got rid of the jump dash so when you aren't homed in onto anything and press jump you get a quick boost up in the air, like not so much I wuld call it a double jump but a little edge to correct your direction in the air. However, when you're flying off springs or floating with fans it's like Sonic Triple Trouble where you press the jump button to curl up into a ball so you can actually hurt stuff in the air. EXCEPT when you have boost power. When you have boost power you do a jump dash but it consumes some of your gauge.

EDIT: Hmn... Actually I may have been mistaken since I was taking my time to play the stages and not rush through, I actually do remember jump dashing without boost power come to think of it... Well I will pay attention if I go back and play some more, but I do know Sonic double jumped sometimes and jump dashed some too. I'm going to watch some videos for comparison but maybe you jump dash when running and double jump when going slower? One of the biggest changes from Unleashed is Sonic controls better when going slower, so maybe they implemented double jump when going slow, jump dash when going fast? That would make sense since Sonic going fast is more slippery and a dash would help him go faster, and when he goes slow he's more precise in his movements and thus a double jump would work better... I will check, I mainly took it slowly to look around.

I believe that's an announcer, he mainly talks when you use Wisps powers. Sonic makes some grunts but the only time is during a few random things like rail hopping. EDIT: Oh beaten to it since gameplay videos are going around. Still ongoing to read the topic so may edit this post some more.

Now if only I could figure out where it was, I didn't see it today through my play time either, but I know I saw a race segment THOUGH as said there are a ton of paths and I did notice some levels continued after the goal ring. Maybe...?

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

You sure the air dash/air boost isn't actually on the boost button?

17. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I mainly remember double jumping when not locked onto something but I do remember air dashing but maybe I was just boosting since I wasn't paying close attention to the controls and more to the game so was doing the whole "in-the-game" subconscious playing deal. Whatever the case if no conclusions are found will check tomorrow which also can give me a chance to try the DS version anyway. Still Sonic does have a double jump of sorts not too different than Sonic R come to think of it except the jump is a lot lower and playing at a slower pace I know I was double jumping more than I was air dashing by far. The double jump is more like a jump handicap in the game than an actual way to reach new heights, miss a jump and have a second chance to change your air speed and land correctly or get the little boost upward to get on a barely missed platform. It helps make platforming sections more fair though I guess you could say easier but I thought it was a good addition.

EDIT: One of the most obnoxious previews I have ever seen came in a magazine but some new shots so posting the scans of the pages with new shots and interview.
    DOUBLE EDIT: WAIT, they just confirmed that the game is mainly being made by the Unleashed team with the Black Knight team here.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Yeah, I mean the little grunts and stuff Sonic does while changing rails and homing attacking. It sounds like a completely different, completely new VA.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

And now "the Sonic Cycle is broken" literally becomes the media selling point. Well, that's just fantastic. Can't say I complain, but damn, that's shrewd. How much of that is ONM, and how much is SEGA, I wonder?

20. Innocence

Innocence

(ノ-_-)ノ Member
    "Sega promises Colours will take Sonic back to his roots"

Seriously, how many times have they said that? They said the same thing when they were showcasing Heroes, 06, and Unleashed. They should have just said "Sega promises Colours will not suck"...