don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm all for this as well, as long as the camera rises at the same time. You still need to see where you're going, after all.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Don't zoom out with the main camera, make the FOV of the lens linked to the speed you're going. For example, at a dead stop, make it 45 degrees but at full tilt try 90 degrees. Also, when you hit a booster make sure to pull the fov out extremely then slowly inch it back in. This is a great way to create the illusion of speed without making the game unnecessarily fast (I'm looking at you sonic unleashed =| )

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That's sort of what I was trying to say the entire time but didn't know the lingo to say it. :P

Speaking of which, I'm wonder if Blitz3D would be able to support motion blur (and I mean proper motion blur). Maybe if we got OpenGL ported to it..

4. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    The minimap idea, with the camera zooming out, reminds me of Jak 2 and 3, the minimap showed you more of the layout when you were on a vehicle (moving faster), I think it expanded twice as far, I think this would be a good idea.

I'm also for making the camera fall back a distance as Sonic speeds up, but about the lens thing, what's 'FOV' stand for?

Because to be honest, if it's that thing done with the spindash, I'm not really sure that will look good. The fisheye will look odd for a Sonic game. It's not so bad with the Spindash because it makes aiming easier and can't be helped.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

FOV stands for 'field of view', and yes it's that spindash thing. They've been doing it since the first sonic adventure. Also, you don't know what you're talking about. Its not necessary for the spindash at all. Its how you make the player feel like they're about to go fast.

Examples of games this is done well in:
    F-Zero GX
    SADX

The trick to making it not gimmicky, is like I said before, making it a function of the character's current velocity, perhaps by a certain factor below 1. Then you add to it whenever a large acceleration is supposed to happen, like the booster or right after a spindash launches. Go really fast in speed highway and then come to a dead stop. You'll see what I mean.

6. Volpino

Volpino

I'll have to try that, and see it in action I guess. If SA1 used this, and I didn't notice it, it must have been implemented well.

Sorry, when I think of 'fisheye' I think of the gods-awful camera in the Sonic X-Treme videos that made everything look too round or the weird camera shifting in Twilight Princess.

7. Mesosade

Mesosade

Hey, I noticed that the Sonic Blitz engine was being revived in this new form. I used to follow alot of mods and maps people made on youtube, and was hoping someone would continue this engine to really refine it into something special. So I took the liberty of using my webhost, to host a more advanced forum than the one you're currently using. I've also registered www.sonicfreerunner.com and pointed it to the host. I just wanted to make some form of contribution to his project to really get it going.

However, if you don't approve of me hosting all this. I can simply take down the host, and point the domain name to whatever site you please. I just thought it'd be appreciated. Because I really want this project to fire up and turn into something special. You should really think about working via SVN, so other people and programmers can help commit to the source. I've seen open source projects go SVN and the production rate SHOOTS up. Just a recommendation though.

Loving all your work to keep the classic sonic gameplay alive!

8. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    [​IMG]
    Also this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Also, the standing animation is WIP.

lulz

10. Sonic Joe

Sonic Joe

Eggmans face made me laugh, in a good way that is:).

Those are looking pretty good so far mate, looking forward to sonics new standing animation!

11. Mesosade

Mesosade

That's how robotnik should have looked like in SA1&2. A very good 3D representation of the original retro design. Can't wait for the finished product!

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Personally, I think Dr. Robotnik and Amy Rose characters are the only characters who looked much better in the Adventure games than in the Genesis ones. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what Dr. Robotnik looks like when his model is finished.

13. Volpino

Volpino

OH CRAP that Sonic model has GREEN EYEZ! :v:

I'm not serious. But it looks good like that, I think the eyes really suit Sonic.

Robotnik never bothered me in SA1 when he looked like a fat man on crack but damn I hate Amy's redesign. She looks like a generic Mary Sue shout-out to Japanese pop culture. Especially her hair. They couldn't think of anything more original? >_>

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Not on the carpet, Sonic! That's a very bad hedgehog. You do that business outside. >:(

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Lol lemme guess, referencing the standing position? :v:

16. Volpino

Volpino

It does look like that...

Wasn't Sonic already outside? :v:

17. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    [​IMG]

18. Tidbit

Tidbit

I hate to say it Jeztac, but there are a lot of things that are really just bugging me about that model.
    1.) His mustache is far to pointy, and angular. Try adding some more lines or splitting then smoothing out the faces.
    2.) His body, currently just looks like a sphere with a sweater on top.
    Heres a good example of how he should be built.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, Dr.R doesn't really wear multiple piece clothing, but instead something that looks more like a jumpsuit.
    3.) Robotnik doesn't have a neck XD.
    The model its self is pretty good, only a lot of things need to be tweaked.
    And I was wondering what program you use. I've been wanting to help out with modeling for a little while.

19. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    It's not supposed to be an exact Classic Eggman, I was trying to make him work realistically a little bit more.

Also moar updates to model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Volpino

Volpino

It's closer to classic Robotnik than anything else, I think. I can understand where the old art doesn't entirely work perfectly for modeling (having a neck, etc) but I think it looks decent.

The mustache is the only thing that bothers me. It does need more polygons I think.

I don't know very much about 3D, only what I learned from playing with Blender and SketchUp, but isn't there an easy way to increase the number of faces on a single object easily to smooth things out?