don't click here

Sonic 3C(ustomizable)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hayate, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    After watching the videos, one thing I have noticed, that kinda breaks consistency, is that the miniboss takes 8 hits. The majority of minibosses in S3K, from what I remember, only required 6 hits. Just putting that out there, thinking you might want to change it for consistency, although I don't suppose it really matters so much.

2. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Yes, it's that one. She does go into a glitchy animation when she hits that spring, but since the real bug occurs after she touches the ground again, I don't see what it has to do with the spring. I thought it was to do with her collision height being less than Sonic's.

This is a bug that has already been discussed. Hyper traits mess with the hitcounter, so it takes more hits than it should. As Hyper Sonic, if you don't manage to get 4 hits in your first jump, it'll take infinite hits.

3. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Ah, I thought the boss took 8 hits even with Amy, I thought it was something you'd programmed in, as I'd read about the bug but thought the initial hitcount was set to 8 anyway.

4. The reason I thought that is there are two places in that act where the up-left spring thing happens. In the first place there's an alternate spinning top (at coordinates 19A0, 838) which you can use to avoid touching the spring, and if you use it everything works out okay.

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Might I suggest a "plug"-like object like the ones in Hill Top's loops, which you have to spin in order to break? That would leave Amy out while allowing Sonic, Tails and Knuckles to enter normally.

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Now that is a brilliant idea!

7. dsrb

dsrb

I take it the opposite objects from AIZ (I.e. the ones broken from below) are now unbreakable since your "Smashing objects with hammer from a distance" bug fix?

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    You can actually still break them if your hammer collides with them. I'll probably make them unbreakable too though, along with the "plug" objects in Ice Cap.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Hmm, I'll have to play Ice Cap in order to see what route changes that would entail. Good excuse to play S3K! :v:

10. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I wasn't too fond the shines and stuff, so I screwed with it *the first one*
    Fell free to ignore me though, it sucks.
    [​IMG]

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Actually I think that looks better, the only problem is you edited the earlier sprite with the 'wonky legs' (probably easy to edit though).

12. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I'll just let you guys sort out the sprites and I'll put them in when you're done improving them.

It takes far too much effort to import character sprites only to then have to do it again when someone makes an improvement. =P

But yes I agree with the new "shiny" style.

13. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

Could you fix it? I'm kinda lazy...

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Well, this MGZ spinning top bug has me completely stumped. Apart from crashes in MHZ and HPZ, and a few objects remaining to have hammer-check code added to them, this is the ONLY thing left which inhibits Amy's progress throughout the game. And it's really annoying.

Shobiz said it had something to do with the spring, so I tried moving the spring around, which does have an effect on where the spinning top goes, but the only way it'll actually go up the tube where it's supposed to is if I remove the spring completely.

I'd investigate the code for it, but it's ridiculously complex (just over 3kB of code, or 1316 lines!) and I really can't be bothered with that.

Other than removing the spring and making all players have to manually manoeuvre themselves round the corner, or editing the level to get rid of that entire area, does anyone have any ideas?

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Whenever Amy hits a diagonal spring, she glitches up all over the place. This is particularly evident in MGZ and those badniks in CNZ. Have you fixed that yet?

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Initially I had thought this caused the problem, so I fixed that already, but it doesn't affect the behaviour of the spinning top at all.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    In that case, remove that spinning top when playing as Amy, let Amy smash through the wall with her hammer, and stick springs at the bottom of that large chamber.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

In other news, this is the best LRZ ever.

Yeah, I'm working on the new LRZ/HPZ sequence. I decided to reuse the multiplayer zone IDs for them to make it easier to patch (since I need to get rid of multiplayer for the ROM space anyway)

Now... I should really go disable the 2P code... lol

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Just a thought, I know the split screen mode works differently from Sonic 2 but could it be in any way utilized for co-op mode?

20. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Levels need to be designed specifically to be used in split-screen, because you need to work with art in 8x16 tiles instead of 8x8 tiles; if you don't do that, they won't render correctly. The levels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles probably weren't designed with that restriction (it is a restriction) in mind, so you'd have to make new levels from scratch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.