don't click here

Sonic 1 Title Screen Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Picu97, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    Sonic Return to South Isle v.2.0
    Hi everyone!
    Some of you remember my horrible, awful Sonic 1 hack named Sonic the RANDOMhog, and because of it's criticism, I'm trying to remake it so that it is way more acceptable.
    As I'm a newbie, I don't know anything about hex editing, and I looked everywhere for a Title Screen hacking tutorial, but I didn't found anyone. I play Sonic hacks to inspire myself, and I think that those with title screen hacked are really cool. Is there a way to hack these without everything being only letters and numbers?

2. Assuming you are using a disassembly, you will have to edit the text for it in s1.asm I believe

3. Yeah, and you're probably going to have to use Tile Molester, ConTEXT, a copy of Gens+, Command Prompt with Administrative permission (for FSUTIL Utility), and a brain (because this gets technical). Editing the Title Screen is like implementing the S2 Spindash in Sonic 1, only Additional Text tiles need to be placed in the tile graphics of the title screen foreground. However, you need to merge blank data into titlefor.bin.
    Do this by going into command prompt, type in: cd, and wherever your SonED2 folder is located in quotes (I.e. "cd "C:\SonED2-1\s1h""). Next Step requires administrative priveleges. So, before I go on, are you an administrator of your computer?

4. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    Yeah, I'm the only one using this computer and I am the administrator

5. Alright, now assuming you are in-- oops, now you need to change your directory again because now you need to go in artnem_u (I.e. "cd "C:\SonED2-1\s1h\artnem_u""). That's better, now type in "fsutil file createnew padding.bin 16384", because you will need about that much space in bytes. Then press "enter". I haven't performed this in anything else, except in Qjimbo's Sonic 1 Spindash tutorial, and here I am teaching this.

Now, merge the two files. First find titlefor.bin, and rename as titlefor_old.bin. Then, in command prompt, type "copy /b titlefor_old.bin+padding.bin titlefor.bin" enter and Bamf! A title with more space for your text on the bottom.

As for the rest, I'm not sure, so I'm leaving the rest up to you or go ask Qjimbo on the SSRG Forums.

6. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    But how do I add text to the title screen? And what do you mean to have more space for my text on the bottom? Which text?

7. I don't know. Ask Qjimbo, he knows more about this than I do.

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    IIRC, there's a tutorial that explains how to give the title screen it's own graphics. You'll need to start there.

If you want it to be something OTHER than the usual emblem, that's a lot more complicated as you'd actually have to program new routines for the title screen.

Take it one step at a time. Make your art first, and get it ready to be used in the game, then you can worry about actually implementing it.

9. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    That's what I'm looking for, it's that I want to create my own art. When I split Sonic 1 files all I get in those folders are .bin files. Do I have to create my art in common programs such as Paint.NET and then rename them to .bin files or do I have to get a certain program to edit them?

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    DO NOT change the file extensions. It doesn't convert a file in any way whatsoever.

11. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    But please tell me, how do I change Title graphics? I'll later consider changing other things. It's that, for example, I'd like to replace Sonic's sprites in the title to ones of other character. Is there a tutorial or an easy way to do this?

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    You haven't read the guide, have you? Like Aquaslash said, first start here SCHG How-to:Make an Alternative Title Screen. To actually edit the screen, you need to follow this guide, and then create new project files that are for SonED2. This program will allow you to export the title screen in pcx format (you'll need paintshop pro to edit art to be imported into SonED2), and then you can edit it to your liking and after you edit it, you can import it back into the game using SonED2. Also, this guide here can help you understand how to import art into SonED2.

13. I don't have Paint Shop Pro. I can't get Paint Shop Pro. I'm going to use my padding.bin file and do a merge copy with titlefor.bin in command prompt. Then, use Tile Layer Pro to make the tiles I want. Then, use PlaneED to implement the new tiles with the title screen foreground. I did that, but look:
    [​IMG]
    Still a rookie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.