don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On the plith, try making 3 equally thick tiers. I wouldn't bother with the moss stuff until the shape is correct. I think it might look better to have less, but more ornate, spindals. Why not try one similar to that purple one I posted earlier, it is also in the Deco style. Above the plith again, the curvature of the railing seems different on the ends from the center, though you covered it up well (jk). Maybe just a decorative spindal at the corners? I would prefer to see a lot more interpretation on this sprite. Good work thus far!

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The moss looks pretty awesome, but the shape still looks flat because the holes in the diagonal sides of the 3D platform are not the same size as the others... making them look the same size when viewed from the side.

Not sure if I've explained myself. =|

EDIT:

Here's a mockup with the volume "fixed":
    [​IMG]

Yes, I've also darkened the left handle. I think it also helps with the volume.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    [​IMG]
    This is what I meant with some of the shaping ideas I brought up.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's... so different it doesn't look like the same object.

EDIT: Worded it better.

5. Precisely! This is what I was trying to convey. It looks much better, even if not a carbon copy of the original... Now lets turn attention to the spindals.

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I think ICEknight's example, while it would make more sense, gives more of the impression of the platform being round.
    And Canned Karma's version is just straight out round. And while modeling the alternate bottom I did wonder how it would look if I left it like that and just chopped it half way similar to yours. But then I was thinking it would look too much like a saucer or hamburger without the top bun.

Here is the bottom I rendered out and used for my latest version. I was going for an edgy yet soft bevel.
    [​IMG]

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Yeah, that's almost exactly how one of my iterations looked. I wasn't satisfied with it so I tweaked it until I had what I posted. To me it just looked odd tacked onto the bottom in that shape. In any case, it's good that we're coming up with a decent amount of ideas to feed into the design. I'm curious what the result would be of having some sort of repeating symbol go around the bottom shape if the segment was given enough vertical space to allow for it... might have to fire up Zbrush tomorrow and see what comes to mind.

Keep going on it MDM, I have a feeling this platform could have some unexpected visual appeal. Changing things up to make them look interesting within reason is not something this project is against.

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I felt it would look odd having the bottom round and the top keeping its octagon shape. But I'll leave that up to you to decide. Here is my quick attempt to make it more similar to Canned Karma's by chopping my previous post in half and gluing it on to the top.
    2nd version has stony texture to it.
    [​IMG]

9. zemulii

zemulii

I've been pretty busy with things lately. If anyone wants to have a go at the vines in the mean time then feel free. But I'll definitely post up something up once I've got it. Shouldn't take too long... just when I've got a bit of time.

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I really want to vine to look like this:
    [​IMG]

11. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

So this is what I had in mind:

[​IMG]

12. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    WHOA! Now I wonder what it would look like if you gave just one of the strands the checkerboard pattern like on the trunk of the tree... I mean, it would make the trunk fit in even better.

13. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

No, no checkerboards for this one.
    To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the checkerboard trunk either. Mainly because it wasn't exactly looking like a trunk organic or otherwise. And it looked too similar to the pillars from Emerald Hill Zone. But it seemed like a lot of people liked it so I bit my tongue.

14. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Ah, well it did solve the problem for the time being. Why not add a branch stub or something to the tree, and/or some realistic bark, using that organic-art wizardry of yours?

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but I liked subsubtantive's? trunk and I don't feel I can top it. I don't touch stuff that I don't think I can top. Either that or the art someone made isn't the interpretation that I see. So I can't see his trunk being much more different than his. I'm trying to contribute to what I can in order to kind of get others to join in, but its not really working. :/

I still think something like the vine should be hand drawn.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think the idea is the vines holding this platform are supposed to be a bit weak and flimsy, hence why sometimes the platform falls off.

17. That's a good point. Try making the vines thinner.

Also, maybe the vines could crack as the cart gets further and further down the slope?

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    This. Of course, if you're willing to make enough frames to show the vines quickly unraveling before snapping, your design could probably work.

19. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Howabout just having where they connect to the platform really weak, so that they only break there? It would be simpler than that idea.

20. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Is it supposed to have an animation? Because if it does I think it would be really awesome if the vines snapped up after the platform fell. Kind of like a rubber band being stretched and then returning to its original shape. You just gotta make sure that it does look like it is something that could damage Sonic because an animation like that could give that impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.