don't click here

REZ Hacking

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Woofmute, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I have a discjuggler image. Useful in some ways, but not in others. Anyway, I can re-insert files of the same or shorter file size because the program to edit the file only replaces data. It cannot rebuild.

I'll probably find another alternative to it (A better alternative) in the future, but for now, it works for researching what affects my changes have on the game. (I currently have Rez's contents, and the beta's sitting on my hard drive, but as you found out, it isn't easy to get the settings right to re-build the games.)

2. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    You should really learn how to build a valid DC image. It's not very difficult. The echelon selfboot kit includes instructions and the tools you need.

(Doing so without having to burn anything is another story though. It's been a few years since I've looked, but the last time I did none of the CDI builders created images with ECC data. Without it, all sectors of the disc will appear as corrupt to a virtual drive. At one point I wrote some instructions on how to build a valid CDI by hand using the track data prepared by following the echelon tutorial, but this still required manually editing the final image in a hex editor. I had meant to write a tool to automate the process, but it got to the point where it was just easier for me to continue using a hex editor.)

3. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I should. I'll probably spend today learning how.

4. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Ahaha! I can't believe this!

I think the PassEditor is still in the beta! After I spent a while investigating the game, I found a way to change the level layer by pressing the spacebar key. And also a way to delete the level segment, although the game crashes when that happens. I'll probably make a video, but I've got to mess with this further!

5. ccat

ccat

Huh, way to go. Not only leaking a proto but "accidentally" having hacking tools already coded into it. :v:

6. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Did more experiments, and found that in Area4, as well as changing segments, you can also spawn enemies by pressing different letter keys. Even that unused enemy that appears in the lost area, the one that just spirals lifelessly backwards.

I'm sure parts of the PassEditor have been removed, but there must be enough parts left to use it at a basic level.

Oh, another thing; On the last two transition segments of Area1, rather than looping the transition over and over until I press the spacebar again, these two segments continue like any normal level segment. 9's transition segment does not loop objects however, but 10's does-I wonder if these where actually normal level segments at one point? And some of the Area5 transition segments last longer than they normally do, and are big enough to actually be normal level segments. But the objects don't loop however, so you end up floating in nothingness.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also load the final boss rush area from the level select by using the spacebar to select the next level, but the level entry model doesn't change until you select it-Area6 uses the Area5 entry model.

7. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I got bored, and remembered seeing some beta stuff in the Rez promotional video. So I slowed it down and took screenshots of the beta stuff I've found so far. (Bad image quality though, blame the video I took the images of.)

Download them here.

8. ccat

ccat

Never paid that much attention to the promo, actually. However, these are usually mashed up before it's all done, so it's reasonable to say some stuff does get left behind.

9. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Well, I've got a way to replace textures. Currently have Area4 with the beta textures, and that big green target cursor from the video of an early alpha.

Working on restoring the beta Area1 enemy too.

10. ccat

ccat

Did you actually get to successfully reassemble the GD image yet? >_>

11. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I've kept trying, but no luck yet. This is where owning a Dreamcast dev kit would come in handy, I'd love to be able to boot from it's hard drive.

12. ccat

ccat

You're not the only one keeping an eye out for a Katana in hands of someone who doesn't know its value. :v:

13. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Do you think it would be wrong to suggest the beta running player animation was used for the Area4 boss Uranus?

14. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Oh, the song used in the beta for Area3 turned out to be 'Extra' by Ken Ishii. I'm unsure if this was just placeholder, or if they actually intended to use the song Extra.

Extra.

15. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    So yeah. I'm not done with this game. And I'm aware this is a bump, and a triple post... But it's a nice bump.

I've spoken via Twitter to Ken Ishii and Keiichi Sugiyama.

Ken Ishii has told me that the song Extra was only placeholder, and was never intended for Area3.
    Keiichi Sugiyama has told me what hardware he used for sounds, incase that is of interest to any of you;

References to those synthesizers exist in the S_M01.mid file.

On the subject of the music in Rez, I have these;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLiM8f53wNQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDzmau2dZw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQjhCBk30NU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkeDyKa4gD0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZ3oB2tOMQ

More to come at a later date. Levels like Area 2 and Lost Area have really complicated music...

And I've done a lot more documenting of the beta key functions and such... There's lots in there. Posting when I find it.

16. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Effing sweet.

I'd be interested in your "Fear" project files, if you make those available. ;)

17. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I'll just see if I can dig up the link to them... Check your PM's in a few minutes. ;)

If anyone else wants them, let me know...

18. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Thanks ;)

19. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    No problem!

The site I had to host the files on will be dead within the next month, so if anyone else wants the files, do tell me.
    I can always upload them elsewhere afterward...

20. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I guess Rez hacking isn't as big as I thought it should have been. Oh well.

I apologize for the image quality...

An unused Rez form, seen here. It has it's own little animation where the back opens to reveal two more jets, and it's wings fold upwards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is that unused Area1 enemy I mentioned a few pages ago. It was replaced by the larger green enemy that fired missiles in the middle of that level.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The unused yellow player, strangely enough, fails to import into 3DSMax when exported as a .obj via ExMldNet. Which is how I didn't find it before. The Rez .NB format is a container for Ninja format models, but beyond this I know nothing. If this .NB format is ever cracked, things like swapping the player's animations so it runs in normal levels, and even swapping the enemy and player models, could probably be achieved.