don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm just wondering if this really is the big 20th anniversary Sonic game or not. If it is, then I'll boycott so this game could have a 360/PS3 release. :colbert:

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    If it was the 20th anniversary game, I'm sure it would have been released next year, not this one (probably).

I'm positive there is a new 360/PS3 Sonic game in the works somewhere.
    Which means Sonic Team is developing both this, the 20th game, and giving an helping hand with Sonic 4. Can they just focus on one project at time?

3. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Well, they have two teams, the storybook one and the unleashed one. It's probably the same this time?

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    This brings a question, tough.
    Sonic Team is developing this game.
    But which one? Unleashed Team or Storybook Team?

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I'll risk Storybook, they are the ones with expertise on the Wii.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    No no, I really don't. When I said that, I meant as far as 3D Sonic is concerned. They've proven to be good developing 2D Sonic games, but they weren't too much successful with Unleashed, at least in my opinion. The problem is that everyone thinks they can create a Sonic game, that Sonic games are simple, but in reality, they are not. That's why you see the Sonic community being bombarded with fan-games, poorly made by persons with no experience in game development at all, that claim their games to be better than SEGA's/Sonic Team's. This scenario leads the gaming companies to belive that they can do a *good* Sonic game as well, while, in reality, most of them, can't. There was an in-joke inside Ubisoft headquarters that said: Do you know when there will be a good Sonic game? When WE manage to develop it! Sonic games are way complex, and needs a lot of research in order to interprete them perfectly. As far as physics are concerned, not even Sonic Team themselves couldn't interpretate the good physics of the Sonic games prior to Sonic Adventure. While Unleashed did a good job with physics in the 360 and PS3, their lower resolution counterparts were not that lucky. And to be fair enough, only a few select people were able to replicate perfectly the good physics that Sonic is known for, these being LOst, Saxman, The Taxman, even Damizean and I could say my fellow partner Mark The Echidna that replicated classic physics in 3D, and look, all of them are /amateurs/ that have programming as their hobbies and only work with it in their spare times.

Now, about Sonic 4, I would classify it as a poorly made fan game as well, but again, opinions.

Now that's a very good question! If Colors is being made by Unleashed Team, that might bring hope that this game might have actually some effort being put on it.

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That is without a doubt one of the best Sonic box-art's I have ever seen. It may be a mockup, but I love it.

8. Pretty much this. The UnWiished levels, from what I've played of them, were pretty linear and were very short.
    The PS360 versions; despite the less consistant framerates (lack of time?), had much larger levels. Aside from....The first few levels, they were HUGE levels, with a lot of branching paths.
    The prime example of this is Adabat Day. Whilst that level has framerate problems, it is HUGE, with a lot of alternate routes, some, that can be found on the water areas.

One of the complaints I heard from people, was the linearity of the Wii version.

For the pinnacle of branched level design and alternate paths, please take a look at Eggmanland. On The Wii I heard it was hard but linear.
    For the PS360, it was a hugely long and really diverse level. There were so many paths that you could take.
    If they are borrowing from that kind of level design, then we have promise. They'll obviously have to tone down the ridiculous difficulty though.

Related to this game though, I want the Wii team to do it. Sure the 360 Team may or may not be better, but, the Wii team can make a competant game. Whilst it may not be technically great, UnWiished was fun when it was in its element.

Also, I want the apparently more apt HD team to be working on the Bigass 20th anniversary special. That game will likely have HUGE production values and we don't want another 15th anniversary now do we...

9. Tanks

Tanks

As long as they don't proclaim this to be "Sonic's big return!," I'm ok with it. I was a little weary when they used the phrase "fresh new canvas," but I guess it's one of those "thats_the_joke.jpg" moments. I take no issue with a fresh start and a new concept and gameplay type, but don't proclaim it to be the "SONIC'S BACK GUYS" kind of game, SEGA, or else you'll just end up letting everyone down again.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! theres no leakz this tiem? *Gasp* :specialed:

Well the italian trailer was released hours before the US one, does that count? :v:

11. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    One thing that strikes me, however is... is it Sonic Colors, Colours or Coulours? I've seem three trailer already, and everytime I watch one it's written differently. ~_~

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Americans spell it "Colors", and we Brits spell it "Colours". Normally companies will only spell it one way in a game, but I think that because it's such an important word here (title, duh) SEGA bothered to localise it.

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    That kind of bothered me too when I first saw it, but then I thought about what it meant and why they did it. I think maybe they were just trying to catch peoples' attention. Maybe "fresh canvas" just had to do with the theme of the game, about "painting" your own route through any stage. "Back on track" could have just meant "back in action", like back since the last game. Do we know who made the ad yet? I remember Nintendo Power doing something very similar promoting Sonic 4.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Not just Brits, it's pretty much non-Americans whose countries natively speak English who spell it colour (ie the Canadians, Australians, New Zealand, all the Commonwealth, etc). What actually more intrigues me is that Continental Europe went with the international English spelling rather than the American one.

And which trailer had Coulours? The only alternate spelling I've seen so far was karaazu for the Japanese trailer (ie ????).

15. SA2

SA2

Sonic's dead; fly down to his corpse Member
    Timezones. :v:

But concerning the 'oh noes, Rush engine', isn't it possible they might try something new this time, depending on how the game will play?

Such as if the Wisps have touch screen uses? I guess we'll have to see.

16. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    That last comment puts me in mind of Phantom Hourglass...

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Maybe because everybody was still complaining about Sonic 4. Distracting green eyes.

After just playing Unleashed again I hope the level design isn't too similar to that. More exploration, slower, and no QTE's. Eggmanland is a pile of shit in this regard. Although saying that, levels like Chun-nan and Spagonia were amazing. Hopefully nothing like Rush either. Adventure was a huge improvement in my opinion, but the speed ruined it for me.

18. ShadowPhantom

ShadowPhantom

Bow your heads low, all hail Shadow!
    Station Square
    Practicing drawing Sonic.
    That's beautiful! I sure hope SEGA sees it and uses it as the official boxart.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Going by the other 3 boxarts pictured there, Sonic will be bigger and facing the camera in the actual boxart. Now unless the boxart does turn out to be as magical and wonderful looking as that fake one, I think I may just have to print off my own cover.

20. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    In my most optimistic moment about the game I would hope it's a little more like an adventure game where you have to find the wisps in every level by solving puzzles or platforming challenges rather than just "OMG REACH TEH GOAL!!!1" I know Sonic is always like that, but it's a tired concept and it doesn't work as well in 3D as well as 2D. (Because if it did, Mario wouldn't have completely changed it's play-style. :specialed:)

So far though I just hope it isn't speed-based or anything remotely like SatSR. (Graphics aside. SatSR had some pretty visuals, though I only played the first level before I got bored and sold the game. :rolleyes:)