don't click here

The Miles "Tails" Prower megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Difference in this case being that they'd be able to anticipate what problems Knuckles/Tails being in the game would cause because they'd presumably plan for it ahead of time.

Sonic 1 wasn't pre-equipped to handle Knuckles because he didn't exist yet and they had no way of knowing the second half of the third game would be able to lock onto it. Things like palette constraints aren't going to be an issue here either.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Doesn't Tails' object behave the exact same way than Sonic's when in 1 player mode?

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Only in Sonic 2. In Sonic 3K, Tails can fly/swim, but doesn't have the Insta-Shield/shield abilities.

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Why would anyone not want him in Sonic 4?

5. He should be in, along with the co-op. That was great at a young age, surely some amount of people would use it. Heck, if they made it a bit more like NSMBW's multiplayer (screen zooms out when the players are far apart) I'd probably use it even now.
    Also, cute as a button <3 And, if this is specifically for him in any part of S4, shouldn't this be a more general "other characters you'd like to see" thread?

6. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I think there's room in any Sonic game for Tails. Knuckles, however, ceased to be relevant about 10 years ago. I'd quite happily never see him in a game again, unless there's a legitimate story purpose for him.

7. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Seconded. The (somewhat retarded and broken) canon dictates that whereever Sonic goes, his androgynous friend will follow him. Knuckles however is some dude that's kinda got his work cut out sitting on an island, smoking grass untill he thinks the ground is flying and getting paranoid that everyones out to steal his shiny jewels. He shouldn't be in there, and if someone smashes up the Master Emerald, I don't give a fuck, he can find that shit in his own time.

Although if Robotnik stole the Master Emerald to power his Big Evil Machine of Death (lol rehash), having Knuckles tag along would be fine by me, as long as I never had to see or hear the word 'Friendship'. Ugh...

...Getting back on the topic of Tails, He's all cute and fuzzy! ^_^

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Tails used to be my favorite character, though as of recently the character himself has kinda become a dull forced tradition placed on the series. The contemporary version of the character is rather underdeveloped and existed for little more reason than to fly Sonic somewhere or make some little 'deus ex machina' gizmo. I miss the hyperactive naive little furball that was super best friends with Sonic, rather than the super mature and dull-natured 'Fixer Sue' that is a mild aqquaintance of the latter (it's not like the two aren't interchangable, the awesome OVA version for example).

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Tails will be in Episode 2 & 3, Knuckles will be in episode 3. All 3 characters will likely be in any future episodes that are made. Not sure what else there is really to discuss =P

10. I have an older sister that is a gamer, so inevitably I always played as Tails. That's why he's my favorite character. :)

Now here's a crazy idea I had a couple of years ago ... I would love to see a spinoff Sonic game (I.e. a PSP game) that used some Lego-like character switching mechanic to play the levels. Maybe a certain area is too high and requires Tails to carry Sonic, or there's a wall that needs to be punched open by Knuckles. Every level would have different pairings, with Sonic always being one of them (a la Lego Indiana Jones). It would mix the traditional platforming with a new "gimmick" that they could sell as unique to the PSP/DS/whatever iteration that they seem to be after.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So... Sonic Heroes? :v:

12. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Minus formations

13. Haha oops. I never played Sonic Heroes, so I wouldn't know. Moving along ... :v:

14. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    They should add Tails in Sonic 4, they hinted at something along those lines, but never actually, officially announced anything, but I agree with other statements, he's just as important as Sonic. I think everyone else covered my feelings on this pretty spot-on in the last pages.

Regarding selling them separately though, I doubt that will happen if SEGA is trying to please the fans.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Capcom cock teased us twice with Protoman and Bass for Mega Man 9 and 10 and both of those games were made for the purpose of pleasing the classic fans. I wouldn't put it over SEGA to pull the same shit.

The question is if that scenario does happen, how much would those fuckers charge for it. fucking Metal Sonic and 1 track in All-Stars was already a huge rip-off.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Actually it sounds a lot like the original concept for Sonic Mars, with Sonic rescuing and calling a different character for each level (add Sally, Bunnie and an electro powered Tiara into the mix). Sonic Advance 3 also kinda uses the idea, and perhaps in a superior concept in that
    1. you can switch players for any level and
    2. Sonic can also be a co-op character with his own abilities and thus isn't the powerless lump the others need to lug around anymore.

Actually that may have been what kinda made the original co-op seem diluted, it was one-sided, mainly just Tails helping Sonic here and there before getting cut off screen rather than two players working together.

17. Katana

Katana

Arachnaphobic Member
    Australia
    Trying not to fall asleep... why am I so tired?
    Yeah, but if you picked (for instance) Tails with Knuckles following him, you played as Tails for the entire act, even if you wanted to use Knuckles to climb up a wall that was too high to fly over. And tag actions can't make you able to climb up a wall, just glide on his back and fall off when he grabs onto a wall.

Not trying to sound like jerk, just stating the facts. ;)

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You could still use those moves in Sonic Advance actually, and then some, but the 'switch' option doesn't exist. Might have been worth using for one-player I guess the same characters throughout a level works for multiplayer.

Not fond of the tag action anyway, slows down gameplay to keep switching between items and characters. As said I wasn't as fond of Mars' concept since it sounded like basically Sonic being the 'dud' character and most of the best parts of the game involving the 'cooler' other players piggybacking him through (even played Crash Mind Over Mutant?). I don't like it when games discourage you from playing as the main character.

19. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Miles Prower

Miles Per Hour

Just getting that out of the way.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]