don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, so everyone hates the blue tint. I just felt the full on green was a bit distracting for a background element. But then, I guess I'm in the minority (as in just me)! Anyway I was only throwing it up for consideration.

Also though, the other thing about that tree was that I actually far prefer the original clean render, minus all the extra shading and texture. I'm not sure what everyone else thinks about that, but I felt it was starting to look a bit messy.

As for the checkerboard trunk... I really do think it looks better. It's not as good as it could be in it's current (unfinished) state (no shadow or base etc.), but without it the tree just looks so BLAND to me. It's just what it needs in my opinion. Obviously peope are divided on the trunk though. It looks about 50/50 so far...

2. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    I'm not sure if I like the checker pattern on the tree or not yet, it would need a little refining yet. One thing's for sure though, it's the first trunk that actually looks round. All the other ones make it look like a Popsicle stick.

3. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So we agree, oddly enough.

Are you sure? It seems pretty much the same as the one me and Substantiative were ranting on... Could you post the fixed one by itself?

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Positive.

[​IMG]

5. Well the clouds look better...

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    You seem so displeased with such an awesome background.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Ahem. So glad that's cleared up then. ;)

Having the checker pattern on the trunk does look interesting. Playing around with the size of the squares and showing them side by side in game size would be handy as well.

8. zemulii

zemulii

I think the background looks amazing overall. Only the blue pillar things at the very back look like they could use a bit of work. At some point... I mean they're not that bad, but they could be better.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'm think that as well. The blue mountains in the background to the far right look unfinished. Also. has someone even done the cloud animations yet? Because it's really only half finished if it doesn't have that half done.

10. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, I know everyone is going to hate the colours, and the blue tinting and all that... (I know it's over the top - losing the Hill Top look). But looking past that... This is just an attempt to show some depth and a bit of variety.

[​IMG]

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    [​IMG]

I kinda like that colour background for the mountains. But we do need the original colour.

I like the idea of having some different variations in colour of the trees to break the cloning up. It makes the zone look more interesting. You could even have Sonic going through the trees. like the one furthest to the left is more towards the screen than Sonic and the next one is in the background so Sonic is in front of that when he goes past it. The grass would be a issue at places. So it could be worth that Sonic shoes always appear behind the grass. Or even both at different points.

12. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah, the colours were just a result of my mucking around (a lot of the time that involves what I like to look at rather than what would be good for the project!). I'm glad you don't hate them at least ;).

I quite like that idea! It wouldn't change the style of the zone, but sure would make it a lot more interesting. Could just draw a small slightly elevated lump of grass (if you know what I mean) on the top layer over the trees that Sonic ran behind.

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Insight that I hope gets considered. And I was wondering, will the grass crunch down as sonic walks on it?

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Doing this would involve me taking every single grass tile that can be walked on and making several animation frames for each. Not only would this be a TREMENDOUS pain in the ass, but I don't even know if there would be enough resources for that.

15. Daveydude

Daveydude

The grass shouldn't crush, however, when sonic crouches and charges up a dash maybe a bit of grass is flung into the air?
    E.g. When sonic takes off a few bits of grass follow him (the direction in which he took off for 1/2 a second)
    This wouldn't be terribly hard, but it would need to be a small effect. Just a little touch.

Also on the topic of adding depth, I think it might be a good idea to fade out the VERY distant stuff (the mountains with the green tops) but maintain colour in the closer things. It is hard to say do it to the trees or anything as it is 2D afterall. Don't forget you can't see the ground, it is was never designed to show any depth. Background, yes, foreground, no.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It was intended as a smooth gradient, as you can check by looking at those mountains with the NTSC filter turned on.

Seriously, the vertical line gradients must be acknowledged somewhere, or else more contributors will mistake those as intentional vertical lines.

17. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I think this to a lesser extent might be better, Colours don't usually desaturate that much as they get further away.

18. zemulii

zemulii

Yeah, definitely to a lesser extent. And keeping as much of the original colour scheme as possible. It was meant to be a cartoonish exaggeration anyway - not realistic ;).

19. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Why are people arguing over finished artwork?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So which parts of Hill Top still need to be done? Lava and S-tunnels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.