don't click here

A new Sonic ability

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes, exactly. Great minds think alike. Of course, the homing attack isn't the devil and can be fun to use (Unleashed) and is damn near essential in the on-rails games.

2. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie

Abilities at the expense of rings has always been a terrible idea.

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I wouldn't say always, but most of the time it has been.

I was just thinking of a disincentive for teleport spam.

4. Yeah that could work.

You need to have 10 rings minimum to use it. Every time you use it, you lose 10 rings.
    You need to have 5 rings minimum rings as Super Sonic
    You can do it infinitely as Hyper Sonic

The once per 10 rings can stop it from being a replacement "boost meter", because you have to use it sparingly.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Disregarding Super Sonic, I think Unleashed 360/PS3 could have benefited from using actual rings to boost, rather than ring energy. Otherwise though, ring-draining abilities do seem to suck in hacks and fan games.

The idea of warping was played with a little in Chronicles. Shadow and Shade could warp into some little chambery-things on the Voxai Colony. And Shadow had some kind of teleporting ability in '06. So long a it's short distance, and used to get inside something that's otherwise sealed off, warping sounds fun.

6. Cool alternate paths can be taken if you're good enough to spot them and time the warp correctly.

7. You could use a meter just like the boost does.

8. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    I didn't mean super sonic. I mean like throwing rings at enemies, or bouncing for rings, or homing attack costing rings, or anything like that.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Warping through portals could be lots of fun if it does drain a meter like the boost, except it being a super quick drain.

In fact, that'd make a good point that is even better than Unleashed's: Sonic can run so fast he makes wormholes through the space-time continuum. :v:

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Add my vote for a toned-down homing attack as well.

Also, shield abilities. All of these shields have one ability you can use by tapping Jump twice, and one ability that is always on.

Burning Shield: Homing attack (what we have now); lights up dark areas.
    Electric Shield: Light Dash (Zip along a nearby special ring trail); attract all nearby rings (except ones part of special ring trails).
    Tornado Shield: Double Jump; can breathe underwater.
    Glacier Shield: Snap Freeze (damages all nearby enemies); can walk on water (nearby water surfaces freeze).

11. ancara

ancara

For me, I think that Sonic could use a more defensive manuver.

Basically, a move where Sonic crouches down and then his spikes protrude outwards. What this would do is not only protect him from a single attack, but also be useful in defeating certain enemies, but it'd only last a couple seconds before Sonic ends up getting bac to his normal, standing position.

Say for example you're facing an enemy you normally can't jump on. You're wondering how to defeat it when suddendly it jumps at you, trying to land on you (and thusly make you lose rings). How do you stop its attack? Why, bust out the spiky crouch of course! it ends up touching Sonic's back(which is of course covered in sharp pointy spikes) and bounces off, revealing its nice, un-protected weak point that you can jump on to finish. But ya gotta time it right or else Sonic will feel a lot of pain.

You could even use this spiky crouch move to get past obstacles otherwise impossible to overcome, like deflecting a hammer that afterwards breaks open a hole you can use to advance, or timing the move just right to get past an area that has projectiles(like bullets or small missles) raining down on it at certain intervals.

So yeah, if there's a move in which I think would go well for Sonic, a hedgehog (which I am suprised hasn't tried this yet :V ) which could use a more defensive manuver to help him out.

And yes, I do like coming up with new moves for characters, thank you very much. :v:

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Spindash? This move seems rather redundant, really. :ohdear:

13. Introversive

Introversive

Except the spindash moves Sonic once you let go of the button and that wouldn't work out too well in an area where you are in danger of falling into a bottomless pits.

Some reworking of the spindash could definitely make it more versatile. To make the spindash not strictly a speed type move, there should be a way to revert back to normal without causing momentum. If you need to push a certain button in spindash mode to give you speed, then that would help with making it not so dangerous in platform-heavy areas.

Now for making the spindash a viable option for combat, some more changes need to be made. When Sonic is preparing his spindash, he would become immune to damage from most projectiles, melee weapons, and some other hazards. If a badnik covered in fire was diving down at Sonic (without the Insta-shield ability or a fire shield), then going into a defensive state with the spindash would be a better choice than jumping and getting burnt. Of course, the spindash wouldn't have any special immunities while it's in motion.

I believe that this definitely has the potential to give more depth to the spindash.

14. ShadowDog

ShadowDog

I say that the electric shield should pull all rings regardless of the being part of a light speed dash trail, but use the ShTH used-ring trail (ring trails are replaced by a line of translucent rings that work only for light speed dash).

P.S. Isn't there a part in SA1 where they put an electric shield close to a light speed dash?

15. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Anyone think it would be cool to have a mid-air 'quick step'/'mid-air dodge roll'?

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And if not that, then at least they could use the 06 format where rings you're expected to use for a lightdash won't be pulled towards you. And the Unleashed method of 'magnetic Sonic' was rather lame. Of all things Shadow did badly, the lightdash just wasn't one of them.

Now I don't know just how much this would qualify as a 'new' ability, but I'd like to see some sort of boost enhancement. Replace the boost itself with something more akin to the peel-out, and after running for long enough Sonic will break the sound barrier (like in Advance 2). The difference here would be that he could just run straight through enemies. Slow down though, and you gotta work up that speed again. I'm not saying get rid of the Rush/Unleashed style boost though. Game dependant, it can be really fun. Unleashed 360/PS3 wouldn't be the same without it.

17. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Support +1, but Glacier Shield must vanish after so many uses... else it's Hyper Sonic Boom all over again.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That's quite a cool idea.

Something I wanted to see is that 'whirlwind' ability he used in Sonic the Comic and possibly SATAM. Where he lifts things or people up in a whirlwind. I guess it's not really plausible as an in-game ability, though.

And no, not that little one in '06.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What about the one in Heroes?

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    A better way to boost:

Like seen in BlazeHedgehog's fangame "Sonic: the Fated Hour", boost is almost constantly usable, but there's a catch. Instead of draining an energy bar, it has the gauge as a meter to show how much boost energy is being used. The boost meter fills up very quickly, and when it fills up completely, Sonic's feet overheat, and he abruptly screeches to a halt, patting his feet off to keep them cool. This makes the challenge in balancing your boost usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.