don't click here

What was Sonic's personality like pre-Adventure?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Strange-And-Beautiful, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluetension

Bluetension

New Jersey
    Sonic Blackout (fangame)
    I always thought of him as a work alone hero, but self-serving and generally angry lol

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    The cartoons depicted him as a dick. I always like his OVA personality the most, someone who only got down to business when he knew he had to. Otherwise he would just chill all the time and not give a fuck. That's always been the real Sonic to me.

+ - And his design was 100 times better.  

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    You see, that's exactly how I feel about him. Except add the general mild-mannerisms without being a complete unlikable butthole.

4. Bluetension

Bluetension

New Jersey
    Sonic Blackout (fangame)
    In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, that's the perfect personality for him. Anything before, you can't really get a good true reading on him in the games, and anything afterward is downhill.

5. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Personally I'd thought those descriptions were swapped myself:
    I thought the OVA personality came across as more of a dick (okay, maybe just more stern and no-nonsense) while the Western cartoon personality "got to business when needed" but still didn't care otherwise. Perhaps that's why I'm one of the few able to stomach him? :v: Though I would be curious to see how much they'd parallel if White's one-liners were absent.

...Come to think of it, I've noticed that the 'attitude' portrayed by Drummond in Adventure 1 -by which I mean lines such as "Come on, ya big drip! Where ya goin'?" or "He's just a chuck o' cheesy hardware!"- hasn't really come up again in such force -- I can't help but wonder if, with no other options at the time, the game's English scriptwriters wrote that 'attitude' with *gulp* White's voice and/or personality in mind? Just a thought.

That said, I'd be interested to see his OVA personality make a comeback in the games.

+ - And agreed 100% on the design.  

6. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Sorry to go off-topic here, but I can understand the hate for American Tails but why for American Sonic? He looked exactly like Jap Sonic except his quills were flat and he had four fingers. What was the difference? (This is a real question, not meant to be rude. I hate American Tails because his eyes are crooked, pupils are small, nose looks like a rat's, he was missing a finger and his bangs are wrong.)

In regards to Unleashed Sonic, I just don't like his voice. His voice sounded best to me in Sonic Underground where I thought his personality was captured perfectly. The OVA was nice but it was just so over-the-top with it's voice acting and I'm not a huge fan of Tails' personality in it either, he's too brave, except when it comes to lightning which was the only time you got to see the shy little kid, the rest of the time he was acting too old for his age, and Sonic was acting way too committed to his job. He didn't have any of the insensible traits you'd expect from an impatient 15 year old teenager. He wasn't lax, or 'chill' like you'd expect someone of his profile and age group and the only one that acted remotely in character was Robotnik. Knuckles wasn't bad, his character reminded me of SA1 Knuckles with a better voice actor, but Robotnik just reminded me perfectly of the bumbling genius in the classics.

When it comes to '06/Unleashed/X/ that Sonic looks gay. (<- Saying those three words is, by the way, shorter than the paragraph about this subject I had typed before so if it sounds like 'my opinion in a nutshell' it is, and it's less offensive.)

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

The American Sonic was ugly and the spikes on his head looked flat. That's why I dislike the American version of Sonic for the Genesis days.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    -D

See me after class.

I really don't see what makes him ugly, and your very persuasive argument doesn't help me pin down why exactly you think it's ugly in the first place.

We'd be getting off topic at this point however so back to Sonic: Is he a dick or not.

9. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I think Sonic changes with just about everything he's in. Although in the beginning Sonic was quiet and scolded you for doing nothing wrong.

10. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Don't forget walking off on you...

The 'scolding you' and all that was why I thought he was a dick... Actually, those emotions are really misleading! I thought Tails was classy and intelligent because of his yawn. That was also why I thought he was a girl... And I thought Knuckles liked to beat people up like a mob boss, and that when you played as him you were playing the bad side. (Keep in mind I couldn't get cast Carnival Night to see the entire story...) but it was still funny at the end of Mushroom Hill 1 how he grinned evilly while pressing the switch like saying "Hahaha fuck you Sonic!"

Their personalities were captured pretty well in Advanced 1, now that I think of it... Sonic looked impatient, and Tails looked around with a finger to his mouth like he was confused then shyly points in the direction he thinks you're supposed to go (or that you're facing) like "Can we go now please?" And Knuckles is just like "Yeah fuck this let me know when you stop spacing out, dumbass."

11. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Eh, when I was introduced to modern Sonic through SA2:B he still had a cockyness and arrogance about him (a reason behind some of his cheesy lines).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.