don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    If they can take back the physics to when they made Sonic Advance 1 I could get right behind it then. I think that was the closest anyone at sega have got to 1995 gameplay :/

I mean, its a game dimps have made, surely it cant be that had to just recycle thoses physics+homing attack

2. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I find it funny that people are complaining about how they delayed the release of Sonic 4, and yet they know exactly what that kind of thing did to 06.

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    See, we're not really complaining because we can't be pleased. We just complain because we're bored and have nothing better to do.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Okay, I'm going to try and get my head around the latest bout of arguments. Would I be right in saying that the general trails (not only) of thought are...
    1- the game has been delayed, but it won't make a difference because nothing will be fixed.
    2- the game has been delayed, and though some things may change, the final product won't be any better because important things (physics, music) are just going to stay as they are already.
    3- the game has been delayed, and this is going to make a fair degree of difference because SEGA/Sonic Team/Dimps's showing that they actually care.
    4- the game has been delayed, and while it may or not be fixed by the new release date, a delay shouldn't even have been necessary in the first place.
    BONUS ROUND
    5- Sonic games always rock so stfu
    6- Sonic games always suck so stfu

Do you think that's accurate?

I'm more or less on option 3 there. I can see why you may think otherwise though and unless you really do fall into category 5 or 6 then your opinions seem valid. We're being fed teasers and cryptic messages through Ruby, who's more or less a third party. Nothing has yet been shown to make us say for sure that "Sonic 4 will now be what the claimed it was", so the lack of info coupled with past disappointments is cause for concern I suppose. It's just that this is such a radical move, and the game has been treated differently to everything else before it that makes me feel optimistic.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'm personally tied between 2 and 3. Against my better judgment, I'm hoping for 3, but my inner pessimist is expecting 2.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You've got it pretty much spot on there. I'm with option 3 here too.

7. This, and SEGA can't seem to be very transparent on anything. They need to be more specific on the issues they plan on addressing, otherwise we'll just be as mystified as before. Discussing speculation is driving me crazy, because we really don't know anything. We don't know if they're going to fix it or not. Will Sonic have orange eyes later? How can we really know? (the leaks are moot now, if they really are spending time to fix everything, then why are we still acting like it's set in stone?)

Aaaaaaaah.

I'm exactly halfway between 2 and 3. It seems like most people are on 1, but the 5 people are obvious. We know who you are.

EDIT: Oh and, if SEGA was like Valve, none of this would be happening.

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    If Sega was like a LOT of other companies none of this would be happening. But that's the magic of Sega, they like to do their own thing, even if it pisses off half of the fanbase in the process. :v:

Now you can bring up the fact that of course they can't please everybody, but honestly would anybody complain if the physics mirrored those of the classics? Or if both versions of Sonic were playable? Or if there was an option to enable and disable the Homing Attack? I really doubt it.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Are you talking about the delay or something else? You are aware about the concept of Valve Time right?

10. Introversive

Introversive

Just in case somebody working on the game reads this part of the thread, I think that it would be neat if the boss of Splash Hill Zone (SHZ) could be changed up to be unique while still using some form of ball and chain. The SHZ boss fight looked like it was almost a carbon copy of the GHZ boss. Even with the added "pinch" which happens after the fourth hit, it still seems a little too much like the GHZ boss. The first Eggman fights of every Sonic Advance (will be abbreviated to SA for the rest of this post) game all involve giant hammers, but they are all different enough from each other that they don't feel too much like rehashes.

I found videos of each game's first boss to show the differences between them:

This is the first SA boss. It's pretty basic and seems to be a bit inspired by the simple early boss fights found in all of the Genesis Sonic games. Yet despite that, it didn't rip off from any of those bosses. You basically have to hit Eggman while dodging the swinging hammer. It's simple, yet unique. The hammer swings get faster each time you hit him, and the boss takes on a different pattern of movement when he's almost dead to keep you on your toes.

Definitely the least inspired of the three Advance bosses, but I still consider it better than the current Splash Hill boss in terms of originality. It shares the same giant hammer gimmick as the boss in the video before it, but how you fight the boss is different due to how the emphasis is on catching up to Eggman in order to damage his machine. It's not the most creative boss, but it's still different enough to feel like a new fight.

This giant hammer boss is definitely a step up from the one in SA2. It's hard to compare it to the previous initial SA bosses besides having a giant hammer and that you have to hit a weak point (the latter you do with most bosses). Skipping ahead to the Eggman fight, you'll see that it's very different from the first boss fight in SA. The biggest difference is that the boss's weakness is on the hammer itself. Due to not being able to reach the weak point by normal means, you have to make sure to punish the boss's hammer swings when they miss.

So basically, if Dimps is ever looking to make any of the bosses more unique, they could look back to how they made bosses with recurring gimmicks different from each other. What would be even better would be if you still fought the current version of the SHZ boss, but then you would have to fight a drastically different boss using the ball and chain gimmick right after defeating the previous one. That would lead to reactions such as, "Lame, this is the same boss from Green Hi- Holy crud! Robotnik still got some tricks up his sleeve," and the like. Even though it's unlikely, I would love if that happens for Sonic 4.

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If anything, incorporating community feedback and delaying shit makes them more like Valve.

12. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The source code for Half-Life 2 was leaked long before the game came out and valve delays stuff all the time.

13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I consider myself firmly rooted in #2 there. Basically Sega's gonna have to make a believer out of me.

14. #3 for me. SEGA definitely seems like they care about this release alot more than previous Sonic games in recent memory.

And they should. ITS SONIC FREAKIN 4.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Which is making me expect quite a lot of E2. They've gone so far as to delay E1 after we gained access to a bunch of assets they didn't want us to get, and we had quite few harsh words about the game. It really speaks of some desire to please. Okay, E2 is already guaranteed to be brilliant in a fayboyish sense after seeing that spoiler. But still, they actually seem to be trying. It would be a cover up for "We need to change some things just so they buy it instead of play a leaked version" but I'll give the the benefit of the doubt.

16. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    STEAM HAS FINISHED DOWNLOADING SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4

-added option to remove homing attack
    -increased checker ball range 25%
    -fixed bug allowing player to be killed by spikes while invulnerable

18. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

>Implying SEGA is incorporating community feedback for Sonic 4

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    ...Like they explicitly said they would, yeah, which is marginally less out there than any rationale that could possibly fuel them doing otherwise. But at this point I'm inclined to just throw up my hands and say "Believe whatevs," because this is one argument that won't end until the game actually comes out.

Ah well. Galaxy 2's coming out in a little over twelve hours, so I'm going to bed, and probably won't be online much for the next day or two. So later, all, I'll see you when I see you.

20. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    I think it's fair to say that things may change for the better because SEGA's showing they care, but it's also fair to question whether they're up to the task of delivering on the improvements the fans want. Throwing time at a project doesn't automatically make a better product. It's quite possible to put an honest effort into something and simply come up short (which I think could fairly be said of some previous Sonic games).

Correct me if wrong, but I think the point he was making was that the manner in which Valve delays things is different (and thus generates a different response), not that Valve doesn't delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.