don't click here

A new Sonic ability

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    So it was the prototype of Sonic 4's Air Dash, then. :v:

I know the ins and outs of Adventure's Spin Dash, it's just that it sees 90% of its use as a speed-boost move and it has no real counterbalances at all. You can even Spin Dash while running, ferfudgesake...

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    That crazy Spin thing he did in Sonic X. He does it in the tech demo for 06, but it never made it's way into the actual game.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Fix'd

4. Hyper Speed Mode.

Would make up for the fact that Sonic can only be controlled at such a fast pace. I believe Unleashed was reaching the limit.

Instead of Sonic going faster, everything else goes SLOWER. Enemies, bosses, traps, you name it it slows down.

This would open up a WORLD of possibilities. Imagine running on a waterfall, because time is slower, or making it through a super fast trap.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Uh... you mean, Time Break, essentially?

EDIT: The was also a similar ability in '06, but it slowed things down only a little and you had to hold a button to keep it active. On the other hand, you could use it infinitely because Sonic's power meter hadn't been tied to his abilities yet, so it's actually pretty unbalancing.

6. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Come to think of it, Secret Rings could be considered the pinnacle of customization.

7. Well not like that.

I mean make it so that you run normal speed. Like without slowed time. Everyhting else slows down.

It would work for a game like the Adventure titles or another Unleashed...

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Frankly, I think that kind of ability should only be implemented if they ever decide to use Shadow again, since it actually fits his abilities somewhat (and I think Chaos Control in Shadow the Hedgehog had a similar effect if you happened to use it during a boss fight).

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    ok, not being silly this time:

if I was project director and management was shoving new abilities down my throat as a new marketing gimmick, I would probably take inspiration from SSBM moves and try to translate them into 3d, namely some of fox's moveset. For example, sonic would make a great aerial acrobat and it would make for some killer gameplay so 3d walljumps, double jumps, and "recovery" moves would make things quite interesting. Say you fell off the stage, sonic could do the ring spawn trick and grab the edge of the level to jump back up. Or you could take the idea behind fox's phantasm move and just call it an instant ringless light dash.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I can't help but feel like having an ability like this achieve any sort of pervasion makes the game a bit of a chore to play (Dead to Rights, FEAR)... and just sticking it in here and there usually ends up making it more of a puzzle element than an action element, See Baynoetta and that awful Doom 3 expansion.

And my suggestion for a new ability would be to snap to walls. Oh, and a sort of edge grab as well, but one that retains momentum, a really fast one.

11. So. Nintendo obviously ripped off the gravity puzzles from SA2's Crazy Gadget and Mad Space.
    Why can't SEGA rip Nintendo off?

I'd like to see a buzz-saw kind of action. That would prove useful in many situations and would allow for multitiered level design in the 3D games aswell.

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Except... that would be the single most broken thing anyone could possibly do to a Sonic game.

Also, nth-ing the insta shield/spin slash hybrid move.

13. Ever since reading a preview for Xtreme back in the day I've always wished Sonic could throw rings at badniks.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Snap to walls? You mean like clinging to them?

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This has sort of happened in a few different ways actually in the games.

Heroes- Tails and Rouge threw dummy rings, which paralyzed enemies. Completely crap and pointless though.
    Battle- Sonic could throw a ring and then sort of light dash towards it. But he'd spin when dashing, and attack opponents along the way. If there ever iss a ring-throw ability incorporated into another game, I hope they do something like this. The idea of Sonic throwing projectiles to attack just doesn't sit well with me, unless it's something akin to the KiKis' bombs in SA1 cause that was funny.
    06- Tails could only attack by launching item boxes which let out lots of dummy rings when they burst. Again, crap.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

How about something that adds a co-op element. I've always wondered why they don't give Sonic the ability to drag or carry Tails or others around like he did in, well, almost every alt media known. I think the one instance he did in the games was with Elise in Next Gen (it was a bit tedious but it may have been more enjoyable as a co-op element you could activate and break out of). It would also make the co-op mode a bit less one-sided, with Tails mainly unable to keep up with Sonic until he's required to save his ass through flying.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The thing is, they tried that sort of thing a few times. In Chaotix it ultimately made things jerky and convoluted, and in Advance 3 it did its part to enhance the single-player aspect rather than any actual co-op applications. And frankly, I... can't think of many ways to make co-op in a Sonic game work. If it were a slower-paced game like Mario, yeah, but I think that's one aspect of Sonic that won't really evolve overmuch.

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    No, I mean "land" on them like he ran there via a quarter pipe or something.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

OH, I know what you mean—if you land on them at the appropriate angle and with the appropriate momentum, you could run on them?

I was contemplating that kind of effect a while back, wondering if a wall-running wall-jump would be a cool addition to Sonic gameplay and a neat twist on wall-jumping in general. I imagine it'd work somewhat like Prince of Persia wall-jumping, except, y'know, it doesn't always need to be horizontal, it could be vertical, diagonal, upward-oriented, downward-oriented...

But I don't want to imagine actually having to program that kind of thing. >_>

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Of course I've thought of that control scheme for quite a while. Sorta more of a parkour Sonic deal?

One game has already accomplished that (somewhat): Mirror's Edge 2D

It plays somewhat like a Sonic game (momentum is key, there's curved terrain, sliding speeds you up downhill like rolling), and it features momentum-transitioning through walljumps, wallrunning and with playground-like gimmicks that fit the bill of a Sonic title. Make a Sonic like this Sega (except with loops, faster top speed, rings and badniks), and you're gold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.