don't click here

nullDC Now Open-Source

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hendricks266, May 17, 2010.

1. So, a few weeks ago I sent drk||Raziel asking if he could make nullDC open-source since there are no more updates. He replied that he might.

Now it is. There are also new versions available.

nullDC Blog
    nullDC Google Code page
    NGEmu thread

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Excellent news - if someone takes this over who knows what they're doing, we might actually start seeing active Dreamcast emulator updates again.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Finally. I mean after a year, if your work doesnt go anywhere just make it open source and let the fans have at it.

4. RamiroR

RamiroR

I think this kind of stuff should have been open source from the beggining..

5. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Well, now that it is open source, who wants the *ahem*Katana*ahem*SDK*ahem* to see if there is anything in there that can be of use for making this emulator more accurate?

Edit: Also, might try porting this to Linux eventually. Gonna see how good (or bad) the code is first. =P

6. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I'd say I'd like the SDK anyway. May help with an idea I have for building a Rez level editor...

Actually, couldn't the emulator be programed to allow it to function as an editing utility?

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    One of you should code a gamepad plugin. :colbert:

8. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Yes, one of us should. What else can I do master. Believe me, I am hard at work cleaning up the code, a gamepad plugin is not very high priority. If anything, I want to try and remove the plugin system, it promotes the production of lackluster code that isn't accurate but rather is for aesthetics, which isn't what an emulator is about.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The whole point of the plug-in system is to provide alternative engines to high level emulators because the main one may not be good enough, or maybe it is but doesn't run OK everywhere.

However, open source projects usually have a mindset of "rerun configure and rebuild everything", so...

10. ccat

ccat

Plugins just aren't needed when you have the source code you can integrate things with directly. If someone wants to code a different renderer or whatever, go for it but there's no need to make it a plugin to have it in.

All I hope for is proper mouse and keyboard emulation, and maybe cleaning up the choppy sound buffer.

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Oh, I thought it meant getting rid of alternate renderers completely... Although Allegro's Grabber allows extra stuff to be added at build time and still calls them plug-ins.

But it's true that some projects attempt to use every obscure API in existence and their grandma, including every single pre-standard variation of the standard library.

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    So in 5 more years NullDC actually may get an update!

13. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    I am afraid the amount of people who can contribute something useful are very less. And they are probably already working with MAME/Demul/Makaron etc..

In b4 someone adds "1337 |-|19|-| r35 73><7UR35" support.

14. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

Sik: It's just that a simple plugin system opens up possibilities for any idiot to come along and write something and not have to get approval to integrate it into the code base. There will still be openings for people who actually know what they're doing to create their own video cores and whatnot and have them integrated into the actual code base, think of it as a quality control type thing....

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    This is great! Now one day we'll have near perfect Dreamcast Emulation!

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Segaloco: I could as well just fork the project and get the very same effect... If you don't like a plug-in, then don't make it official, period.

17. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    I'd argue that a plugin API is what keeps emulators relevant. I've seen cross-pollination of good plugins between emulators. Mainly graphics and sound plugins, but some others also.

And in the event a drastic change occurs in a host platform, a new plugin could be written and the emulator functionality would be restored.

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Don't get mad. It's just the one thing I've wanted since the last version of NullDC came out and I'm unable to make one myself. :ohdear:

19. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    What, exactly, is wrong with letting anyone make plugins? Open source or not, there's still the fact that most people aren't going to want to have to become a developer for a project just to add a few functions when a plugin system could let them do that with ease.
    As for "quality control" - I'm sorry, but I had no idea crappy plugins ruined the emulator regardless of whether they're used or not. Why should you care about the plugins people make? Is anybody forcing you to use them? Or take notice of them?
    With a modular system, people can easily implement their own stuff into the emulator - as opposed to a clusterfuck where everything is shoved together. Keep that in mind.

20. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    A "bad" plugin can bring an emulator to its knees. You can make the tightest emulation possible, and have some idiot throw some bad C++ at a plugin that takes longer reading a joystick than the emulator spends on emulating the CPU. :D

Also, if an emulator is open source, allowing plugins means some will be closed source, which kind of goes against the project as a whole. The point of being open is to 1) allow all the devs to make corrections and optimizations, and 2) allow others to see the code to learn how things are done. Closed source plugins don't support either point.

Not that I have anything against closed source plugins or emulators... it just doesn't blend well with open source projects. It's a point around which many arguments arise.