don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    Anyone else catch that Sega is planning for yet another reveal next month?

:ohdear:

2. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    This is honestly the only complaint I have at this point. It was cool for the first trailer or two, but it really doesn't fit the mood of the game at all and it'd be much better if they simply showed us the same trailer, only with the Splash Hill music looped over it.

3. Tanks

Tanks

Psh hahaha... Keep thinking that, son. This game has targeted the same audience they've been targeting since Sonic Advance 2. Nothing has changed since then. Sonic '06 was the only attempt to pull in the older gamer (not so much the seasoned sonic fans), the only real change in demographic focus, and look how that went. :v:

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    So basically, you're an unpleasable pedant who won't be happy unless they pretend the past fifteen years worth of Sonic games never happened, revert all the design changes that have occurred over the years, and go back to using Robotnik even though Eggman was always his original name (because double standards concerning what is classic and what isn't are the best).

Gotcha!

5. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Um what? The music seems fine and the physics seem reasonable enough. Plus people really need to get over the fact its not classic style sonic, that just isn't happening.

In any case this is only a delay of up to 4-6 months, I'll be very surprised if this isnt entirely to fix the game engine which is one of your complaints or to tweak/change things like bonus games. Which is what people likely DO expect from this delay.

Geeze some people are so quick to whine over news. So you have to wait a bit longer to play a new Sonic game - at least Sega cares enough this time not to push an unfinished game out without proper quality testing and fixing. Considering Sonic 06/ Unleashed both suffered somewhat from being rushed out the gate a bit earlier than needed (or WAY too early in 06's case...) I think giving this title the chance to be everything it could be is better than us finding remains of what could have been (like the super sonic gem in 06)

6. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    No, SONIC RETRO is an unpleasable pedant who won't be happy unless they pretend the past fifteen years worth of Sonic games never happened, revert all the design changes that have occurred over the years, and go back to using Robotnik even though Eggman was always his original name (because double standards concerning what is classic and what isn't are the best).

This is established fact. I refer you to the previous megathread.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    To tell you the truth, the gameplay to me didn't look different at all. I guess I didn't look hard enough or something. Also this isn't my idea of "big news", and we knew already about the iPhone port. Since it's delayed, I really hope they can at least have the option to change Sonic's sprite. Knowing SEGA though, that's probably not what they are going to change sadly. Also by then I really hope the physics will be way better than what we are seeing in the trailers.

8. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    What's going on with the 'on the spot' thing? am I missing it or something?

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I personally think the music and physics need a LOT of improvement, the other things are the big complaints from the fans.

The point was still made though. They're not doing anything useful with this delay.

Basically, it's at the point where if they DON'T do one of those things, the delay in itself with be worthless in the eyes of the fans.

Also what FN just said.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    45 minutes from now I think, let's see what Ruby has to say... :argh:

11. RevFirst

RevFirst

Bingo. At least that's how I see it. It's Street Fighter IV with a birth defect.

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Because I don't feel like sifting through the last few pages of this thread (I skimmed over it though), Has Sega announced how long this delay is? I ask mostly because I see no reason to believe this game was started any earlier than last September.

13. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Why do I have a strange feeling that the so called "special announcement" is just going to be another shitty 3D Sonic platformer that will be announced?

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

I love how they word that. This quote is such a huge tease!

15. Tanks

Tanks

Honestly, as I've been saying in IRC. Dimps has a game. One they know they can sell to kiddie audience who will make them 'teh monies.' Like Tweaker once told me, "I find it amazing that anyone thinks they are going to listen."

16. corneliab

corneliab

Sega wouldn't be parading around with recycled badniks and level concepts, low-grade music, and the name Sonic 4 if they weren't trying to appeal to a crowd that was familiar was the old series. They'd sooner be marketing an unrelated 3d venture or rush game.

17. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    It was said in the previous thread that this game may well have started life as Sonic Rush 3, and halfway through they just thought "Y'know, maybe we can get some of that Nostalgiafag money as well if we call it Sonic 4".

What I have seen of the physics does not do much to dispel this thought.

(In b4 "IT HASN'T GOT A BOOST BAR SO IT CAN'T BE ANYTHING LIKE SONIC RUSH AT ALL". Yes it can. Don't be stupid.)

18. serpx

serpx

On the US blog, this quote amuses me so hard.

"SEGA has made the decision to ensure that Sonic 4: Episode I is a game worthy of bearing the weight of its name. To do so, we've decided to extend the game's development – and, for the first time ever, we've mixed internal suggestions alongside fan feedback to make some new, positive changes to the game."

I'm probably taking this out of context, but confirmation of SEGA's past ignorance to fans confirmed!

19. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    They're going to have to do the entire thing over at this point. They do have a plethora of "helpful fan suggestions" to go by after all.

20. You act as though this is a bad thing, when really, we were "sugar high six year olds with a couple of candies" when the originals came out. NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE THEN.
    We need to move on from "they're targeting this at children, therefor this games sucks"
    Thats what SEGA have always done, and what they will always do.

Bullshit. The people who made the first needlemouse trailer said that they had NO GAME PLANNED when they asked for a trailer to be made. It was started likely after the trailer was organised. It couldn't have been "Sonic Rush 3" before a wuick name-change...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.