don't click here

REZ Hacking

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Woofmute, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Oh, didn't I mention the countless references to 'Pass Editor'? I'm in a hurry so I can't copy-paste across, but in the beta's 1ST_READ.BIN there are some commands it uses, like pressing X to move some type of node.

I'll edit this post when I have the time.

2. ccat

ccat

My wishful thinking says it's a level editor :v

3. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    You'd probably be correct actually. But I can't find a way to use the Pass Editor... Although, one of the game info windows has details of 'Flow' and 'Pass'. Flow being what number mainflow is up to, and pass... Well I don't know, but it counts up...

EDIT: Just finished an RE GCSE exam, so copy pasting when I regain my energy.

EDIT #2: Hmmm... Anyone else own Rez on the Dreamcast? If so, do you have a file called 'KPRJ____.DBG' (With the Rez logo, not the beta logo) on your first VMU? Only I was messing with pressing keys while playing Rez (F11 still half works, and removes all items from your view, except it no longer resets the mainflow), and discovered that new file...

EDIT #3: Ahh. If you press the home button on a Dreamcast keyboard when playing Rez, that file is saved the the VMU in slot 1.

4. ccat

ccat

Pass might be related to the background level, the one that just loops. You should see if it goes to zero when you loop on a layer.
    It might not be in the beta anymore because all levels are finished.

5. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    This is the kind of reason why I wish we'd had an earlier beta...

I can dream! ;P

Anyway, there seems to be enough remnants of the 'Pass Editor' so I'll see what I can do, although I cannot just edit it's 1ST_READ.BIN directly. It refuses to open in the program I use, and so I have to do minor hacks through the disc image itself.

And I'll check about the pass number going to zero now...

EDIT: Oh, have you looked at the console when the level begins to change to the next layer? I wouldn't say it's entirely useful info, but it uses commands like 'StartMapShape #'. Or something to that effect.

EDIT #2: Yes, I can confirm it goes to zero upon the next layer, even the transition layers. The Pass editor is almost definately a level editor...

6. ccat

ccat

Try poking around in the console and see if you can call the pass editor somehow from there. Type in all the strings you find that may sound like a console command, or look for pass references directly in the command list (just search for a string of an other command).

And I want proto 2, it looked really nice actually. I wouldn't mind the final game looking like that.

7. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I'll try out more after school later today.

If I figure out how to swap models, I could probably get that square character back in. But it would take a little amount of experimenting first.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    How common is REZ in the UK?

I want one of you britfags to send me a copy. =P

9. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    That depends on pure luck. Of course, if you have the money, I've seen it online from time to time, but it's become a hard to find game... There are... 'Other' ways you could get it though...

Burn it. Now. It's one of the only ways to obtain a Dreamcast version.

I don't know how common the PS2 version is, but there is allways the XBLA version.

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I have both Rez HD and a burn. I want a physical copy though ;_;.

11. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    I nearly got a physical copy once, but when I had the money, it was gone. D:

EDIT: Welcome to page 7!

12. ccat

ccat

Meh. Right here it's impossible to get hands on such an unpopular DC game, really.

13. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Once people obtain it, it becomes an insta-horde.

Oh, while that Nexus VMU isn't here, I used DC tool to hex edit the files saved. They contain the save icon for the first quarter of the file, and then the data. So to use custom Mainflow files, you'd need to remove that icon data. Will experiment with that Rez debug file I saved.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    PS2? Very. DC? £80 a copy was the last price I saw it at.

15. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Which is exactly why I bought the XBLA version. I'd probably still buy the DC version if I find it and have the money.

16. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Started working on a PassEditor utility. Only a basic UI has been programmed so far, it is my first project after all. Because of this, it only functions as a UI, with no object viewing capabilities, yet. (I'm learning how to program such things).

[​IMG]
    This is that UI. Needs work, needs finishing. That image is what I hope to achieve with this one day (At the very least). Well, once I finish learning how to program anyway.

17. ccat

ccat

If I ever get my hands on the detailed format specs, I'll try to rather make a compiler/converter from another map editor (possibly Radiant) that already has a good viewport GUI for object placement. That way I could also probably make entities convert to mainflow events, and... *evil plan*

18. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Hmmm...Didn't think like that.

Anyway, I'm off to mod the Area1 binary, so I can see how editing it will affect it.

I like that idea though.

19. Woofmute

Woofmute

stuck in ram Member
    turning into a dreamcast
    Right, through a relatively small edit I made to the Area1 binary, I have managed to move two objects (Well, they were the only ones I noticed). The first object was one of the wireframe boxes from layer level 3. Those boxes are the ones that have the orange pulsing folder textures behind them. The box I moved was behind the textures, and couldn't be seen. The second object was one of the towers on the final layer level. Instead of it slightly intersecting the wireframe path the player flies above, it is actually in the way of the player, and you fly through it.

More editing to come.

20. ccat

ccat

Have you even ripped apart the ISO into separate files? This won't help much if you're limited by size, or have to edit one big 300MB binary.