don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. This. He could be right. It wasnt like Sega was even going to show anyone else, it could have been a test of physics.

2. They had a gimmick for almost every level in S4. I don't know why people are saying there were only 2.
    The 2 you speak of, are some of the more extreme gimmicks. I think the minecart is just showing off the physics engine (which by the looks of it, works. If you lean too far you sort of fall). The "collect points" gimmick is probably a [failed] attempt at variety.

The other gimmicks:

SHZ had those pulleys and vines

LLZ had the Minecart and those boulders you have to roll on and the [hydrocity] wall.

CSZ had the cannons and the collect points gimmick (should have been collect 200 rings though)

MGZ had those cogs and another [hydrocity] wall

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Many levels in the old games had single-act gimmicks on a similar scale, so I don't see why most of these are notable. The minecart and the pinball table are the only blatant gimmick acts.

4. Yeah.....those are taken to the extreme. The other acts have much more streamlined gimmicks that work well with the flow of the level, instead of just breaking up the flow entirely.
    And whilst a lot of the classic games had their fair share of gimmick levels, they weren't all that fun either.....*cough* Sky Chase Zone *cough*

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Most of the other gimmicks revolve around platforming which is acceptable in a platformer and doesn't alter the way the character is controlled, I guess.

If it were 'collect 200 rings' then when you lost rings you wouldn't be able to gain them back and have to redo the entire stage, I guess.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Like Aquaslash said, that's on a sunday.
    But do you know what's on a wednesday?
    June 23rd. :v:

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Those don't have the Sonic brand slapped on them. =P

We all know many people is going to buy any game with the Sonic name on it, even if they know it's a bad game and they'll have to force themselves to enjoy it.

8. Introversive

Introversive

Minor gimmicks such as different platforming obstacles generally aren't bad at all. In fact, they improve the game. If Sonic didn't have any minor platforming gimmicks at all, then most if not all of the zones throughout the games would lose their identity. GHZ would have lost it's s-tubes, twisty spikey bridges, and breakable walls, CPZ wouldn't be as fast due to the lack of boost pads, LZ wouldn't be as notable if it lost it's water, giant cork platforms, and spears, and so on.

Part of why Knuckle's Chaotix wasn't as good as the classic 2D Sonic games is because most of the zones don't have any notable unique gimmicks. The last act of Botanic Base has Mario-like doors, but they aren't necessary to get to the end of the level at all and there's nothing that tells you that they can be entered. I didn't notice anything unique in Techno Tower besides some bouncing platforms in a completely optional and easy to miss optional area on my second playthrough, and the snail-paced drill machine needed to get through a wall in the last act. Marina Madness had those switches that move the boats, but it almost feels like another elevator. Speed Slider feels like a drastically toned down bumper-themed zone with it's bouncy balloons being it's only notable unique gimmick. The most creative zone in the game is definitely Amazing Arena. Whenever it's a good thing or bad thing, you have to find a generator to power up for finishing the level to count. There are spring-like platforms that are only found in this zone, and the only zone to have a mini-boss.

Those aren't the only gimmicks in Chaotix, but the ones I haven't mentioned in my last paragraph are repeated across multiple zones. The people who made that game certainly didn't hide their obsession with elevators and switches. All of the zones have some sort of variation of elevators throughout their levels, and most if not all of them have some sort of switch as well. Elevators and switches are alright as long as they don't overstay their welcome. How is a flower-like elevator functionally different from any of the elevators in every other zone? You don't see GHZ's gimmicks being reskinned for being used in every other zone of Sonic 1.

In short of what I said above, it's best for the zones to have some minor gimmicks that are both unique and noticeable so that you don't do the exact same thing for every level in the game. Minor gimmicks definitely add to the gameplay. Major ones can too, just as long as they're used in moderation. I would sure hate for Sky Chase Zone to have a second act. So far, it looks like that Sonic 4 is doing a good job on handling all of it's gimmicks.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What? There are doors you can enter in Botanic Base? I need to play Chaotix again.

It does, it's called Wing Fortress Zone. :colbert: But I get your point. Two minutes and seven seconds of jumping up and down on the spot gets boring on the fifth playthrough.

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    June 23rd!?

The Number 23 was a movie starring Jim Carrey.
    Jim Carrey refuses to act in sequels.
    A sequel is the second movie in a franchise.
    There are 60 seconds in a minute.
    60 is LX in roman numerals.
    LX is the code of Swiss International Air Lines.
    Swiss International Air Lines operates flights to America.
    Terrorists used an American flight to do 9/11.
    9 + 1 + 1 = 11
    Eleven is the name of Sugarcult's debut album.
    The last song is 2 minutes and 4 seconds long *GASP*

FOUR.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    There's a difference between a "level gimmick" and a "gimmick level," that's why.

12. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    So that begs the question: when's Nintendo getting the game? Two days early, or five days late?

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I would guess five days late, if they really want to shoot for the gimmicky release date. I'd actually prefer if the Wii got the game first, though—people are going to shoot their mouths off about the Special Stages and gimmick acts the moment this game comes out and I'd rather we all be spared the morons who can't be arsed to reserve some portion of judgment until those sections have been played with motion control.

14. Introversive

Introversive

The PS3 also has motion control, meaning that the special stages and the mine cart level could still be tried out with the controls they are likely meant to have before the Wii version gets released. Still, it would be nice if Sonic 4 isn't going to be late on any of the three current gen systems.

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    So, I want to believe this is really something big, and not something we already saw within the leaks. New modes? New Zones? New contents? New music? Surprise me SEGA!

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    A mode with no speed boosters and homing attack. :specialed:

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The fact that this is heading straight towards the big dogs in the Sonic community is great. Here's hoping the content is great, too.

19. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Oh is this gonna be the big annoucement where they reveal the gimmic? like how we got werehog about a month before the games release lol

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Well, not to sound hostile (I'm not), but I guess it's almost time for Sega to put up or shut up.

Looking forward to it. Actually, my week is kinda gonna look something like this:

Wed: pay day
    Thur: Sonic 4 update
    Fri: pay day
    Sat: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (...at midnight, anyway)!

Pretty much something to look forward to every day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.