don't click here

What's your favourite console/system for playing Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That's because it IS complete shit. Saitek doesn't make good d-pads at all. My P2600's D-pad is awful, I pretty much only use the damn thing for N64 emulation. (6 face buttons works nicely for that).

2. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, the reason that I bought the P220 was for its similarity to MD/Saturn pads. I've not had any issues with its D-pad, but I've not played many games that need particularly careful control.

Edit: Hey, my image wasn't "EXTRA LARGE-ASS"; some people have signatures bigger than that! :colbert: :v:

3. GoGoThursday

GoGoThursday

My favourite system to play Sonic on is most definitely the Mega Drive. This was the system the games were intended to be played on, so everything is presented as it should be. With newer consoles the sound emulation is almost always "off" and the controllers cannot match the feeling of the Mega Drive's. After all, many controllers these days force you to play "the classics" with an analogue stick. The sacrilege!

I also play all my old games on a CRT TV. That way all the graphical tricks used to exploit the characteristics of these TVs remain intact (for example dithering). I find newer pixel-perfect displays can strip the graphics of a certain charm.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    ...? I can't speak for the GameCube, but the Wii and 360 both support d-pad control, as did the PS2. Granted, the official 360 controller's d-pad sucks ass, but...

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'm gonna have to say the Megadrive is my preference. But it's the MK1 version due to the distortion The Megadrive MK2 does to the sound. But I'm just as happy to use the Kega Fusion emulator. There are elements in Fusion that I do wish came as standard with the original Megadrive like being multi regional and Higher quality video output. I could always get a modified version if I wanted to. But Fusion is a fantastic at what it does and I've yet to be dissatisfied to make me go back to Hardware.

6. I do like playing Sonic on an actual console...but when I got no alternative, an Emulator and a Saturn USB Pad will work just fine. :)

7. Sploit

Sploit

Original systems for original games...

Compilations/re-releases etc. ...Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii/Gamecube, PC :v:

8. Graxer

Graxer

Definitely the Mega Drive (With the official 6 button pad, but the 3 button one is good too). I grew up playing Sonic games on it, and despite having played the Mega Drive games on so many different consoles, playing them on the original console itself just feels... right!

9. EDOOM

EDOOM

I travel a lot, so I'm getting used to play Sonic games on my PSP. I'd prefer a bigger screen, but being able to play any Genesis, Sega CD, Master System,Game Gear and GB Advance Sonic games wherever you want is priceless!!

10. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    It has to be the Genesis or Dreamcast. A Sonic game has to be played on a Sega console, or it just doesn't feel quite right.

11. Flygon

Flygon

My CCAMed Mega Drive sounds like eargasm and the S-Video output somehow actually beat the Wii's Component (Comparing using the Gens+ emulator in 240p mode) in quality... but it could just be a slight variation of tone in the image making the whole difference, no idea.

It'd be silly of me to use anything other then the Mega Drive unless I absolutely have to, in which case I use my DS.

12. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

I agree with the Saturn on the basis of Sonic Jam. The Mega Drive's still good though, of course. Which is better though, the Model 1 or Model 2?

13. Flygon

Flygon

Unmodified, people tend to lean towards the earlier revision Model 1s, but personally, I'd recommend getting a Model 2 that's been modded extensively by TmEE.

14. Hmm.... of course I would have to say the orginal Sega Genesis, for that good old nostalga factor. However, if I would want to play Sonic on my HDTV, I have the Saturn hooked up (need to get some s-video cables for it, any reccomendations?) to play Sonic Jam. However, I would mainly use the Wii (for the GameCube use with Component cables) and play Sonic Mega Collection.

Granted there is the PS3 release of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, however, even with the nicer d-pad the games just don't look like its original Genesis counter part. Maybe with Sonic Mega Collection for the Cube it was better handled (cough lock-on, cough Yuji Naka and original SonicTeam members) and possibly since that hardware is better to handle Genesis titles better. Also like some have pointed out I also use PC emulation.

It's pick and choose: Sonic Mega Collection (GC), Sonic Jam (SAT), Sonic Mega Collection + (PS2/PS3 via BC), Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3).... and of course PC emulation. It is odd that there wasn't really a Sonic Collection for the Dreamcast........ odd?

15. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    On actual Megadrive and Xbox360 when I don't have my MD around :3

16. My Genesis died about half a year ago so lately I've been playing Sonic 3 complete and Megamix on my modded Xbox. It's no where near as nice as playing it on Genesis but it gets the job done well enough.

17. CloverCC

CloverCC

I actually really like the Saturn. I mean, there's not much with Sonic, but what little there is, I really like. I've always preferred Jam over Mega Collection, and if you have a 3D NiGHTS Controller and 3D blast, it makes the controls just a little more bearable to navigate Sonic (Oh, and the saturn version has a far superior soundtrack to the genesis + - IMO :D   ).

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Sonic Jam for Saturn. Simply put, I just fucking love the Saturn controller. It's so wonderful. And the additions to Sonic Jam were very nice.

Alternatively, on the go, the iPhone ports are great - they easily have the best touch controls out of any 'd-pad-like' game I've ever played on the iPhone. :)

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I had a look around to see if I could find some examples of this superior sound. And I did find a site that showed someone had indeed modded the model 2 to improve the sound.

Link

I'm a bit disappointed to tell the truth. Even though it is cleaner. The low end is drowning out the high end. So to me it doesn't out do the early model 1, even Fusion for that matter.

I suppose it's personal preference at the end of the day. And that maybe down to what model of the Megadrive that everyone originally had/has.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    It depends on which Sonic game we're talking about -- just about all of the modern ones, I play on one of the pieces of hardware they were released on, the pre-Sonic-Adventure-ones on Wii via Mega/Gems collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.