don't click here

Why did this happen to me?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vendettagainst, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Okay, so like many of you, I grew up with the classic systems, including a Genesis, and one summer I had got Sonic 3D Blast. (I'm not exactly sure when.) Now, when I had got it, I could never get past Rusty Ruin, and in being so mad, I used to hit the Genesis (I was a little kid.) Whenever I would hit the Genesis a certain way, it would send me straight to the level select screen. I'm not sure as to why this would happen, but I do remember it causing the death of my original Genesis. It never happened on any other games, so why Sonic 3D Blast?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Because they set the level select screen as the error handler.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah. I actually had a go at doing this on purpose while I was testing a copy of Sonic 3D to give to ScarredSun 2 months ago - giving the cartridge a quick but sharp tap on the top left corner was the way I eventually got it to do it after 3 or 4 tries. =P

4. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Actually I don't want to open another topic, because my question is a bit different.

So, when I was a little child, I used to play Sonic 1. Sure I never knew what the debug code was and I even didn't know, what it meant.
    Well, I was on the title screen, I always took the cartridge a 'bit' out and put it in again. This was leading me to an illegal instruction error. So I figured out getting rid of it by pressing C all the time - which didn't work on all illegal instrucions I made. So when the title screen was moving again, it started automacially the game with... debug mode turned on!

How and why did this happen? =P

5. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Similarly, I took an old, unused Sonic 1 cart and put it into a Genesis that hadn't been used for months. I started out with the debug counter but no debug mode.

6. I remember being 10 or something and getting really frustrated with one of 3D blast's bosses. Wound up punching the Genesis and lo and behold "You have reached the super secret level select" or whatever popped up. It was a nice way to help calm me down. I haven't seen that screen since, the BARRACUDA code doesn't display the message.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    After I first bought the game, it went straight to the level select screen. I didn't even bump my Genesis, but I did get the game used. I think it's awesome that the error trap is the level select screen, though after I picked a level the game locked up...

8. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    If you force the emulator to load any other game savestate you will able to do the same effect as "hit the Genesis".

9. John Calibur

John Calibur

oh man! Cart tipping memories as a kid. I was always curious why 3D blast acted the way it did. I guess you learn something new every day, huh?

10. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I had an extremely fucked up and worn out copy of 3D Blast and it would almost always send me to the level select screen. Of course it might have been because the Genesis I was using was dying. I can't really remember as it was a long time ago.

11. Tidbit

Tidbit

I actually figured it out by mistake. I thought it froze so I was going to pull it out, but when I touched it "WELCOME TO THE LEVEL SELECT" then when I selected Green Grove, all the graphics were glitchy.

12. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Oh, wow, that's cool. The "You found the secret level select" music is the same as the "No Way!" music from s&k.

13. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I had more fun screwing up the music on Sonic Spinball via the cartridge partial pull method. The tracks would get out of sync and it sounded like a cool but quirky remix. I especially liked the odd remix of the options screen.

14. UptoCamp

UptoCamp

Since reading this I've tried the cart tipping and still haven't come across the Level Select. I can still access it the traditional way through the button combo, but for some reason my Genesis will not comply.

Who among us HASN'T pulled the cartridge while in Music Select and replaced it with a different cart, completely remixing the track or turning it into a noisy mess of "clungggggggggggggggggg" and "beep! beep! beep!".

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Me, for one - I actually take care of my games collection and don't seek to deliberately break it. My flicking of S3D to try and trigger the "secret level select" was a one-off experiment I will likely never repeat ever again.

16. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I just tested this for myself with my Genesis + 32X and it actually worked after 3 or 4 times. Interesting...does anyone know of any other Genesis games that do this?

I recall unlocking the level select screen a few times in Jurassic Park on accident (internet didn't exist then so I didn't know there was actually a code) and that was very awesome, considering Jurassic Park is one of the shittiest and hardest games I ever owned.

17. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    AAAHHH HELL YES! I always wondered how this worked, I remember the flicking the cart technique being used many a time.
    Are there any other MD/Genesis games that have a similar effect?

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Me, as well. I started playing Sonic on my brother's Genesis, and was always respectful of the game carts.

I did once trigger the S3D level select by accident, though. We would often play using third party controllers, and they're pretty cheap so they have really short cords. It's not difficult to accidentally tug the system, then, when moving the controller around.

'WELCOME TO THE SECRET LEVEL SELECT!'

'WTF? What'd I do?'

It was enough to make one begin to believe in voodoo and poltergeists. =P

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I've triggered 3D Blast's level select by accident on a few occasions. It's cool to know the reason, I guess.

Now if only I could figure out the significance of the word "BARACUDA..."

20. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Maybe the developers were big Heart fans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.