don't click here

Ubuntu 10.04 Released

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CyberKitsune, Apr 30, 2010.

1. CyberKitsune

CyberKitsune

Never enough time. Member
    aaaaaaaaa
    http://www.ubuntu.com
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Sorry Apple, looks like Ubuntu is taking a lead.

2. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I was just about to say, Ubuntu is looking more and more like Mac OS X every time I look at it O_o. I plan on installing Gentoo in a bit, whenever I get a new wifi card, but I might try this out in a VM just for kicks.

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Just installed it a few hours a go. It's alright, but I still have to jump through hoops to get some stuff working properly on the same day of the release. But I guess with time things should start getting better.

In the mean time:

gconftool-2 —set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout —type string “menu:minimize,maximize,close,spacer

Type this in Terminal to get the Buttons up on top of the windows back to their original positions. That should let off some of the frustration. :P

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Last year, I used Ubuntu 9.04 for around 3-4 weeks and while I liked it, so many of my favorite programs did not work on and I just got frustrated after a while. It's a good OS, but there isn't enough great programs for it compared to Windows 7. I do think its new look is pretty good except the new placement for the Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons.

5. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    You don't even have to do that. In the Appearance preference panel, select the Human theme, then select one of the themes (Ambiance or Radiance) and click "Revert" for the button order. It's a neat trick I found that only appears once for each time you do this, so save it as a custom theme, just in case! :P

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Great stuff! The beta ran really well on my Netbook. So I'll have to give the final version a go sometime, since I've OS Hopped back to XP for a short time while I get an assignment done for College.

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Eh, tried it myself, and got the age-old problem of Ubuntu not detecting my Wi-Fi card, thus making it impossible for me to go on the Internet while on Ubuntu without some sort of wired connection.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I might install some form of 10.04 later using Wubi. I'm also considering installing Xubuntu 10.04 on my desktop which is a 700mhz Celeron with 256MB RAM (soon to be 512). I think it might be a good change from a slimmed down version of Windows XP, but I also need to get a new DVD drive for it.

However, I have been critical with this new version. The new themes were horrible in terms of button placement and Beta 1 had all of the available themes to have left command buttons (this was fixed in Beta 2). Also, I'm taking a liking to Arch Linux, where I can install only the things I want to, saving disk space too. So I'm unsure about my desktop staying with XP, switching to a form of Ubuntu or spending hours configuring Arch Linux. =P

As for my laptop, a lot of Sonic hacking utilities are Windows-only, so if I did install Linux I'd have to resort to a virtual machine or dual-booting. In any case, I'm using a pirated version of Windows 7 and I don't have the money for a new version of Home Premium. Maybe I should take the plunge, someday.

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I like how even with the new look, the site is still shit stain brown

10. RamiroR

RamiroR

I'm downloading it right now :B. Good that ugly brown-orange thing is gone. Anyway, I'll actually use Mint 9 Isadora LTS, but I want to check it out now! :B

11. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    It breaks for me when I use it. Apparently it's something to do with ATI's shitty incompatible drivers.