don't click here

What hazard do you hate the most in Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Volpino, Apr 23, 2010.

Which hazard do you hate the most in Sonic games?

1. Badniks/enemies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spikes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lava

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hazardous obstacles (Crushing blocks, tredmills leading into spikes, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bosses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bottomless pits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The same way you open the special stages in Sonic 1 - get fifty rings and pass the signpost.

I find Sonic CD one of the most appealing Sonic games of all time. It's easier than Sonic 2. And I've got ten the good ending by both collecting all time stones and destroying all robot generators in the past.

And fuck you, Sonic Retro's word filter.

2. CalamityJames

CalamityJames

Toot Toot Sonic Warrior Member
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    Paying customs charges from Japan ¬_¬
    Funnily enough I'm working towards the good ending now, I've always had a special place for Sonic CD, possibly down to my excitement as a kid when my parents bought me a 2nd hand Mega CD 1 with Sonic CD! But I've never tried to get a perfect ending on it until now!

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Funny, I do this as well. First I get all the enemy generators and Time Stones at once, and usually, I get the Time Stones as early as by the end of Quartz Quadrant 1. Then I try to go the the good future in every Act for the rest of the game, because I treat the automatic Good Futures as the reward for collecting all of the Time Stones. And why not? The Good Futures are very beautiful. The only thing that I haven't seen accomplished is getting all the Time Stones, enemy generators, AND Metal Sonic holograms in one playthrough whilst going to the Good Future in every Act after collecting all the Time Stones. THAT would be an amazing feat. Anyway, so as to not go too way off topic...

I dislike bottomless pits the most out of any trap. There is no mercy if you fall in one, and they can be quite cheap. The bottomless pit RIGHT before the first checkpoint in Death Egg Zone Act 1 is incredibly annoying. If you fall in it, it's as if the lamp post is TEASING you. It's almost as annoying as Mystic Cave Act 2's Spike Pit of death. At least Death Egg 1's pit doesn't force you to WANT to kill Sonic so you can retry the level. This is one of the many reasons why Sonic CD is on the top tier of my favorite Sonic games list. It has absolutely no bottomless pits that Sonic can fall into, with the exception of the absolute final level. This eases the stress one has when bottomless pits exist (Oh gosh, better be super careful, or else Sonic may fall into a PIT), and makes the overall gameplay experience more enjoyable, at least for me.

4. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    Maybe its just me, but I find Sonic 2 to be the most straightforward of the classics in terms of level design, and therefore the easiest. This is excepting Metropolis Zone as a minefield of unsuspecting hazards, but nothing else seems especially hard. Sonic CD's later levels, on the other hand, are so nebulous that I find it easy to get lost in them, which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have that ten-minute time limit hanging over my head.

On topic, I also hate those spinning platforms in Scrap Brain and Metallic Madness. They're to darned small to began with and it also seems like I always time my jumps onto them incorrectly.

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    You use their word filter?

And you think Sonic 2 is hard? :colbert:

He said it better than I could.

Those hazardous objects are leading by as much as the bottomless pits are now. I almost didn't add them since I didn't think of them as a problem but I'm almost glad I did. ((For the sake of not discriminating. :rolleyes: )

6. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    For some reason I get the notion you might be a tails fan!

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So do you. It automatically filters every post, among other things, changing gotten into got, which is completely fucking stupid, as has been said many times before, and yet never actually gets changed.

And yeah, I had to circumvent it again to get it to say gotten.

No, I don't. I just think it's harder than Sonic CD, which I think is incredibly easy. The only challenging bit in Sonic CD is the Metal Sonic race, which usually takes me a couple of attempts, but in Sonic 2, I nearly always die in every act of Metropolis (yet the Slicers never touch me, except that one in a stupid place on Act 3), sometimes die in Wing Fortress, and occasionally get killed by my own impatience in Death Egg. But I don't think Sonic 2 is hard.

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I dunno, the bottomless pit in Metallic Madness Zone Act 3 always makes me lose a few lives, and RAEG. And then lose some more lives.

Goddam pits.

9. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Definitely the infamous spike pit in Mystic Cave Zone. Go too fast and you fall and die. This is even worse if you are Super Sonic, where there is less control, resulting in being stuck in the pit for 50+ seconds. It's not bad if you're using an emulator, where you can speed up the timer, but if you're playing on a console, this is really annoying.

10. Volpino

Volpino

I've never really met someone that can put up with Sonic CD's terrible, undeveloped physics engine quite that well, so congratulations on being the first.

For some reason, I think you might be very right. =P

If you're playing on an emulator, just save your state before you get to that point and load it again, it's cheap, but it works. I do it all the time. (Fuck Sonic 2's lack of a save system!)

11. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

You haven't met many people then.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    ... Undeveloped? Sonic CD is built on Sonic 1. Therefore, the physics engine is more developed than Sonic 1's. It's more developed than Sonic 2's too, since you don't get stuck in loops nearly half as often, and don't ping off concave curves (although there aren't many in Sonic 2).

13. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    I don't ever remember a single time in Sonic 2 that I got stuck in a loop. Maybe once or twice in the last 14 years of playing it. Does that make loops a legitimate hazard?

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I mean when going round Chemical Plant Zone's loops in particular, when you're going too fast you'll just stop and fall when you hit the top-left chunk of the loop instead of continuing round as normal. I don't think it counts as a hazard since it doesn't hurt you or kill you, but it really fucks up your speedruns.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Funnily enough, I have got stuck in Sonic 2's loops on rare occasions... never in CD's, though, at least not so far.

Anyway, least favorite hazard is everything that can crush me, by far, since... most of the time when it happens to me, it's sheerly unpredictable and unavoidable on any kind of level. D:

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I hate those god damn saws in Scrap Brain Zone.

17. Volpino

Volpino

Is there anything to like about Scrap Brain Zone? I had to use codes just to get there. :v:

18. Bryn2k

Bryn2k

Still a thing. Oldbie
    The one that always used to shaft me was that crusher on the conveyor belt in Metropolis Zone Act 2.

NOW it is so obvious - go OVER the crusher, not under it on the conveyor belt. If only I'd known that in 1997 when I was losing life after life there... :argh:

19. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Badniks/enemies
    I actually find blowing them up quite fun. Unless it's the giants on Sonic Heroes. *shudder*
    ...and the Shellcracker. Landing on that thing, missing the claw entirely, and still dying. (HATE HATE HATE, etc.)

Spikes
    Not too bad. The only times I die to them are when I am being totally stupid.

Lava
    I know how to go through a lava pool by starting with only one ring (as do many others, obviously), so it's not much of a problem.

Hazardous obstacles (Crushing blocks, tredmills leading into spikes, etc) (voted)
    Especially crushing blocks. I'm still slightly scared when I try to go under one of those purple vertically-moving pillars with spikes on the bottom on Marble Garden. You know what I'm talking about, right?

Bosses
    Annoying as they are, I like fighting bosses.

Bottomless pits
    If there's a pit in a video game, there's a way over or around it, right?

Water (voted)
    I had nightmares from what's been known as the "Grape Soda" in Chemical Plant, okay?

20. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    It has a real name, y'know. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.