don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Is it ripped from another game or original? if its orignal then thats awsome, if its from another game well its still cool, but original art would be better.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I like the look of the level, but I can't get over how every single shot uncannily has Tails directly behind Sonic's sprite, even when jumping. My, but the partner A.I.'s reaction time sure has improved, eh? :v:

I have no idea what the multicolored checker-like thing in the background is supposed to be, though. Why is that there?

3. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Tails keeping up with me is just a pure coincidence :P
    The checker thing is just to fill up the gap, actually. I needed something as there was a huge block of void there.

Mega Man Zero 2.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I thought it looked like a Mega Man layout in terms of stage shape...

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

It needs more slopes, and less boxes... You could at least use a solid gray color to start making slopes.

6. Tidbit

Tidbit

Hey guys, guess who's been a busy bee? Well after finally finishing RCZ, I've been able to start my next zone. Its green Hill themed but I think the art's going it a good direction so far.

Well take peak.
    [​IMG]

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    You're definately improving. :)

I'd suggest that you'd make the grass larger. It really doesn't look like it's a Sonic game (Then again, what am I to say, using nothing but Mega Man graphics :rolleyes:)

8. VelocitOni

VelocitOni

Almost 10 years of trial membership Member
    Its okay but, theres pillow shading on the tiny blocks, too many different light-sources, the dark brown is too dark, the shading looks a bit flat, and the grass is short, flat, and low.
    Its a good start though!

9. Tidbit

Tidbit

Well I hate to correct people, but I will.
    First of "theres pillow shading on the tiny blocks"
    I'll provide this zoomed in screen of the tiny blocks.
    [​IMG]
    Clearly no pillow shading there ;P.

Secondly "too many different light-sources". If you look at the screen shot again, you'll take notice that each block/ tile only has one main light source. For the big blocks the light source is represented as the lightest shade, and is placed at the top of the graphic, and is also used to create a 3d illusion. the same is for the smaller blocks. In both cases there is only one light source represented.

Thirdly the dark brown is too dark". T_T If I were to make it any lighter the brown would be a bright mahogany.

the only part that I agree with is about the grass, its simple a generic tile I always use, and I haven't really decided if I'll change it or not =P.
    I appreciate your critique there were just a few things that were incorrectly stated.

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I think it's more in reference to the larger brown blocks, which are lit from the left

And maybe tone down the brightness of the lighter blocks if you can't brighten the dark ones? I think the main issue is one of contrast here

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Pillow-shaded blocks
    [​IMG]

Normal blocks
    [​IMG]

I'm not saying which is better. I'm just saying they are pillow shaded :P

12. Tidbit

Tidbit

Pillow shading is line by line, not multiple lines of the same color.
    like this:

RRRR
    BBBB
    GGGG

^ that would be pillow shading unlike this :

RRRRR
    RRRRR
    BBBBB
    BBBBB
    GGGG

But lets not start a huge war on shading here <_<. And yeah blanche I'll tone down the lighter colors.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I meant it looks like a pillow :P

The ones we sleep on. :P

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    This is kinda similar to how some say that they can't do art, not knowing that it's not really about knowing art, but about knowing what looks good and knowing what looks bad (Which we all know by default, no learning necessary here =P). Just because the code is a certain way to "not be" Pillow shaded or whatever, does not mean to say it won't physically "look" pillow shaded, it's more about looking at the art more than the logical rules.

My opinion: Not bad, though I do prefer the look of that "Normal" version Master Emerald dished up.

15. Tidbit

Tidbit

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to get the point across that it wasn't actually pillow shaded =P. I know it does sorta look like it does. I think I'll stick with the blocks I have now, I did try ME's version of my block, but didn't like the way it look in the zone.

16. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Simply put; too brown, too small.

17. Chao Fan

Chao Fan

With serene grace, bitch!
    desert
    Sonic Retraux (french words = pretty :3)
    A little something I'm working on.

[​IMG]

It's supposed to say "Strato Pike", but I decided to hold off title card editing until later in the build. >>; I plan to replace the background with the one from Sonic CD's 2nd special stage (the one with Jupiter on the clouds) so it'll be pretty. :3

And gens32 sucks when it comes to screenshotting

@previous topic: I'm gonna have to go with the pillow ones. The normal ones seem a little too dark for a green-hill-esque zone.

18. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    One day, Sonic found a strange looking Monitor.

[​IMG]
    As usual, he quickly decided to break it.

[​IMG]
    However, breaking it was not so easy.
    Not like the usual Monitors, at least.

[​IMG]
    "Don't you think it looks familiar?"

[​IMG]
    "It sure is! Try hitting it from below."

[​IMG]
    ????

What kind of monitor is this, anyway? Who could ever hit them from below?

19. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Imagine having a cart with that on it back in the day. It's pretty cool though, keep at it!

20. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I quite like that pallete, gives a slight temperate feel to the level. Only nitpick I have here is your decision to have a Chopper so close to a signpost. Most people do just hold right as soon as they restart, and with that rock there, they hit that, get stuck, and can't react before the chopper hits. Unless, of course, you are going for a very difficult hack, and then just ignore what I said :P

EDIT : Love it, STHX.