don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Wanna know my biggest gripe, which I'm surprised no one else has mentioned? The springs. You just run into them from any direction and they hurl you straight up like in Sonic Adventure. No inertia or anything.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Oh, it's been mentioned. Maybe not in this version of the thread, but it's been mentioned.

3. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Everything has been mentioned.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Auto-springs are another aspect of 3D Sonic that works as an aide to ease the transition onto a 3D plane, but in 2D... bah. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old springs, and they presented more interesting gameplay than auto-springs do.

5. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The automatic springs have been around since Chaotix.

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

They weren't quite the same in Chaotix, though. And I can only just barely tolerate Chaotix to begin with.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Boost pads I'll give you (though some acts have maybe, what, three? four? Hardly "plauged with" them, and many of the boost pads are completely useless/meaningless (see the SPEED BOOST IN AN S-TUBE in Splash Hill Zone (also I love nested parentheses))), but let's not kid ourselves here: Sonic 2 and ESPECIALLY S3K had their fair share of "strategically placed springs".

9. has anyone looked on the sega forums lately, I was laughing hard at people arguing over speculation about the 4th console being the genesis

"dur genesis cant play sonic 4 because it just woulnt work"

"thats why they would make the graphics 16 bit"

"dur then it would look gaeh..."

funny to see people arguing over an opinion of a speculation, huh?

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Perhaps it's at this point you realise that the Sega forums are the same as Retro, except with a two-month time delay and an average user age of nine.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On that note, someone on the SEGA forums brought up the idea of putting the game's soundtrack CD in a mocked-up Dreamcast Sonic 4 game case complete with Sonic 4 instruction manual. Even though I never owned a Dreamcast or any Dreamcast games, I think that'd be pretty cool.

12. Deef

Deef

Also on that note, those boards handled the leaks without committing suicide.

I'm glad someone else recognises this.

13. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    For a while I could have sworn I was alone on that statement.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'll play the optimist and say they're slowly luring new fans to the classic style.

In all seriousness, they're scared they'll alienate a great chunk of their fanbase. They want the game to appeal to both crowds rather than just the oldbies, even though that's exactly what they said they weren't doing.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    You're definitely right, SEGA knew very well what we wanted and expected, we had months of anticipation and hype to see the Classic style back. I really hate how SEGA has to unify everything about Sonic now, the universal diversity is completely gone. It's very annoying. I will never ever like the new Sonic, so SEGA can just stop trying to win me over with their shenanigans. It didn't work before and it doesn't work now. I'm cutting my post off here before I go on another tangent.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Eh, well, I was actually hoping for the modern style. A classic-style HD Sonic game with new-school designs was exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for in Needlemouse.

Although the Homing Attack and auto-spring gameplay mechanics, on the other hand, I could do without.

...But have we regressed to talking about the character design, really? I thought that subject had been drilled into the ground with a jackhammer already...

17. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Freakin' agreed. We see one Chemical Plant-style booster, and immediately start bitching that the "game is ruined because it's all about speed". Really? Would you have griped this much when you saw Sonic 2 today? Or maybe Sonic CD's Stardust Speedway? Hell, if anything those were mostly unusable because you never could tell which way they'd send you. Yes, I said it. It's an ugly truth, but maybe it'll serve as a bit of a wakeup call to actually wait until we have the game in our hands before we pan it completely.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

It was more because we saw the generic orange Sonic Advance booster in Splash Hill Zone, a zone trope that normally doesn't have speed boosters at all, and then eventually saw multiple screenshots of multiple speed boosters in Splash Hill, which caused people to (prematurely) conclude there would be speedboosters all over every single zone.

The actual result as we saw in the leak was more of a sort of middle ground compared to what was feared—the game isn't all about speed, but the speed sections almost always involve speedboosters.

As for Stardust Speedway, those speedboosters were quite clever: they sent you rocketing off in the direction you were moving when you touched them.

19. but the speed pad was the gimick for only CPZ, this is in almost every level, but if we are lucky, the pads will oly have a short burst of speed, then putting you back to normal speed after a few seconds, rather than spamming speed and autospring into everything

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The odd thing about these speedboosters is that they also send you into a temporary roll... and in a few cases there are badniks directly in front of the booster, which essentially amounts to HEY, FREE POINTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.