don't click here

Has there ever been a trick to that notorious Sonic 3 cheat?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MarzSyndrome, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    To this day it still takes me an epic age and lots of luck to get the damn cheat to work. Anyone know if there's any way of making it more likely to execute?

Note: I am not interested in GG/PAR codes. I just want to make that "Sound Test" option appear as I'm trying to do a bit of hacking research.

2. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Same here.

Not once have I been able to execute that cheat successfully, due to just how time limited it is!

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    You can just use S3K and the respective cheat. The song positions don't change, only the actual song data.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The trick is to do the cartridge swap, it's easier.
    Enter the Sonic 2 Level select menu, pull the cart out, insert Sonic 3 and hit reset.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Can you cartridge-swap with an emulator?

...And wow, I didn't know you could do that. But I certainly believe it. Weirder things have happened.

6. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.

I've got to try this shit out. It's a good thing I've got my Genesis already hooked up.

Hey, this trick doesn't work. You lied. Then again, my Sonic 3 cartridge is about dead so it probably didn't start up correctly.

7. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Was never able to do this cheat, I swore it was fake growing up.

What does the menu even look like?

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Sonic 3's menu? Basically looks the same as S&K's. But if memory serves, Mushroom Hill is named as Mushroom Valley in the Sonic 3 menu.

9. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Never seen S&K's menu either. :P

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    There's also some other oddities, like a Sonic 2 level icon for Hidden Palace, and many S&K levels aren't there. I imagine all this is documented on the wiki.

As for the cheat, I think I've managed it maybe five times on actual hardware - it's much easier on a keyboard. On real hardware I just say screw it and play S3K if I want level select.

11. Oh I hated this damn cheat!
    And yeah that swapping the cartridge thing does work! I think I learnt that off Sonicology back in the old days.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It was easier in the PAL version... using a good 6-button controller with a decent D-pad.

13. I've never heard of this cheat...Oh wait, you mean level select?

I don't own any of the carts (I own them on other consoles) however I can't get any code to work on any game. It seems like they're impossible.

Does this work on any of the complitations?

14. The D-pad is where the trick lies. I couldn't get that code to work to save my life using the regular controller, or 6-button (the slim looking one) controller. I finally got a shitty controller that worked great for entering the code, but was horrible to play with. It was called 'Owl Pad' or something to those lines. I found a similar looking one with a quick google image search here. You basically need a controller that is either not worn out, or has very little 'roll' to it like the controller in that image. That controller also came with a plastic joystick thing that you fit in the center hole of the D-pad which also helped to enter the code.

If you are trying to enter the code on an emulator, you could try using some sort of cpu throttling program to slow the emulation enough to make it easier to enter. I have not tried this, its just a theory.

15. 1. Open game in emulator
    2. Use frame advance to enter code
    3. ???
    4. Profit

I'm sure you remember the other codes, right? The whole swing-on-a-vine-and-enter-code ones are easier too.

16. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I managed to enter it once using frame advance in Gens Rerecording. I also noticed that there's a lot of lag at the moment you're supposed to enter the cheat, and since the game doesn't read the controllers when there's lag (if I'm not mistaken), it means it may miss a few presses, which would explain why the code is so hard to enter.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Egads, it's been so long since I've touched Sonic 3's level select, I'd forgotten. (Why would I bother? The save screen doubles as one anyway!)

Yeah, actually...

[​IMG]

From our very own Sonic Retro wiki.

18. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I used the cart swap trick very successfully as a kid...got it to work every time. It was the only way I accessed level select in S3&K.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Note: The cart swapping method cannot be used on a model 3 Genesis (due to newer tech I'm sure), nor on a Nomad (due to its lack of a reset button). Luckily now I've got a model 2.

Been a longass time since I've cheated in a Sonic game though.

20. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Wait, so has ANYONE pulled this off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.