don't click here

Did the Sonic characters originally have brown eyes?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Strange-And-Beautiful, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been looking at official art and a lot of them have a brown tint to them in their eyes.Similar to certain Pokemon and Pokemon characters, like Pikachu and Ash (anime, obviously). They usually appear black, usually from a distance, but are brown. At times they're faint and at times they're obvious.

I thought it was because they were old but they appear in the arts that appear in the games (some example Gems Collection) and appear in a lot of them.

So far I've seen them in Amy, Tails and Sonic.

For example, but not all the arts I can find with it,..:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Were there eye colors originally brown?

2. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I think it's more just a little reflection or highlight to make the eyes look a bit more alive, or so that they fit better when everything else is shaded, without giving them full-fledged shine spots.
    I feel out of place backseat-modding here, but you probably start too many threads about extremely minor theories with little to base them on.

3. In some of them it does look like lighting but in others it seems like there eyes are brown. It's hard to tell though.

4. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    It dose look like its just reflecting his mouth bit

5. To be fair, blue is usually the color for highlighting black.

I always thought Sonic's eyes and nose had kind of a brownish tint to them, but it's not really an important fact. Eyes help, but don't make a character.

Unless the character's a floating eyeball.

6. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    That would've been my guess.

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I just checked my rather large poster of classic Sonic, and a poster of Tails and Knuckles from Sonic The Comic. None have brown eyes.

8. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    It's just shading, the same way that blue and even purple are used sometimes, including for their noses.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Yeah, it's just shading. Cool effect, actually.

10. Tailikku

Tailikku

South Islander Pending Member
    You guys do know that Spaz also did the "brown"-eye shading on the covers of the Sonic Archives.

11. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I'm sorry but I... thought this was obvious. o_O Yes, he had black eyes in the game sprites, but he's always had the brownish shading in the art.

12. Not a credible source at all, yo.

13. Søda the Junker

Søda the Junker

WE MAKE THE DREAMS COME TRUE Member
    *5 Project Multi-Tasking*
    Imo it's up to interpretation. In some pics the iris looks brown, in others it just looks like shading or highlights.

At the end of the day, though, it's STILL not green.

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Well, if they were supposed to be irises it must be in only in those specific pieces of art because it's not on the model sheet. In fact, it doesn't even look like irises on any of those. The brown clearly only covers the bottom, left or right of the pupil.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Except both are official artworks posted onto a different background, with STC added in.

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I think it was just shading to be honest, his eyes (to me) were supposed to be black.
    edit: forget it, it was the wrong one.

17. Søda the Junker

Søda the Junker

WE MAKE THE DREAMS COME TRUE Member
    *5 Project Multi-Tasking*
    Might wanna turn your monitor's screen light up some. Then you'll understand what he means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.