don't click here

R2 - The Lost Level From Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mastered Realm, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Thanks, and good luck on your Sonic CD 3D remake.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
  3. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Probably just a character test they did so they can visualize how Sonic moves.

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

This topic's revival inspires me to continue my pixel art concept. I'm not a great spriter, but I think it will get the point across. :)

Okay, I finished what I wanted to get done:

[​IMG]

Like I said, it's not the greatest thing ever, but I really like the foreground concept I have here.

5. Links please...

6. Snowfire

Snowfire

Oldbie
  7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The original link was contained so someone we trust—in this case, drx—could work towards obtaining it without anyone else reading the thread and offering a higher bid or something to that extent. I'm pretty sure I thought people realized that was what we generally do when it comes to prototype sightings; posting it publicly is absolutely the worst thing you can do.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Let's hope drx comes through once more. If this turns out to be legit, it may finally give us another clue as to what happened to R2.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

I made a recolor, yeah just a recolor, of TTz GF art, and it matches R2 a lot in style IMO.

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    If I could elaborate on that. That is pretty much a big reason why these folks have never got their prototype back in late 2007, aside from an incompetent imbecile.

From what I understood, when the alleged owner of the Resident Evil 2 (1.5) prototype went to the mods over at BioFlames to discuss a possible transaction (He never knew exactly what a RE1.5 was, what it meant or it's value). News broke out and information was leaked all across the internet, causing the owner "Curator", who also happened to be the owner of PlayStation Museum, to tease the community with various screenshots, a beta item list and eventually, a the infamous video that would be posted up on YouTube for all to see the prototypical glory of RE2.

After this, was when the owner became douche of 2007 (More details lay here), and started asking for exuberant amounts of money (He was offered four-fucking-thousands and he still rejected :psyduck: ). He later backed out after Capcom's Japanese Legal department got a hold of the publicity around the prototype, leaving the community with almost absolutely nothing but the experience of never letting out something like that out to the outside internet again.

But I'm going terribly off-topic here.

On-topic: Synchronizer, I really like what you did for the theoretical R2 art, but I also think it's sort of bright and slick for an R2.

11. JoyJoyfulTheRabbit

JoyJoyfulTheRabbit

Beginner
    Singapore
    Comic

Yeah, Rusty Ruin had been take by Sonic 3D Blast. But how about give a new name for ruin level called "Rubble Ruin Zone"? =P

12. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    On the Sonic the Hedgehog - Remix album there is a lot of what seems to be unused or prototype music from SCD, in the second track Techno Power Mix there is some that doesn't seem to fit with any zone, could it be scrapped music from R2? Album found here on the wiki http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_Remix

13. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    What is it about this particular mystery which causes people to turn into drooling morons? (Partly this might be the fact that half of this topic is two years old putting a bad taste in my mouth, but really.)

How can your recoloured artwork "match the style" of a level assumed to exist purely because of its absence from a consecutively numbered list? Furthermore, what evidence do you have to presume that anything from R2 ever ended up in Tidal Tempest Zone, other than the unfounded suppositions provided by the topic starter based on ill-fitting palettes in a prototype version of the game?

Of course, this stuff is Albert Einstein compared to our friendly topic necromancer Andrew75, whose bizarre rambling about things which "does not match the rest of the level design" (an assertion without any form of evidential or even logically-reasoned support) and crappy screenshots remind me more of the paranormal investigations nonsense broadcasted by Channel 4 than any sort of reasonably scientific approach.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    First. It's a theory, I used my arguments, and the pallets of Tidal Tempest still look bad. And I'm the topic starter, genius.

My assumptions go from the JAP article. Showing Sonic CD was a Sonic 1 Remix. The only zone not remixed was Marble zone. And we can find lots of Mz references/remixed art in TTz. We don't see that happening on any other zone. It's very common to reuse scrapped things on other levels, because it's cheap. You're the moron here, I made a theory that makes sense, and used arguments from screenshots/videos/concept art, if you have something that proves I'm wrong, I suggest you stay quiet.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXwk2xR1QdA

I believe this is what would have been R2's music. It doesn't really fit as music for a simple sound test menu just because of the way it sounds, and the fact that it's a full stage-length song. It was even removed in the U.S, version, which is a tad suspicious. Since R2 was removed, they must have wanted to use the nice track for something. It's a theory, but in my opinion, the song sounds much more like an overgrown ruin, which is what the Sonic Jam clip seems to show.

Also, I'm glad that you like the concept art OKei. Yes, it is a bit bright, but as I said I'm not too good with pixel art. The colors would probably be fine if they were darkened a bit.

EDIT: OH WOW. I just listened to that Techno Power Mix, and one of the parts you were talking about is a remix of the Little Planet Track that I think was R2's music.

EDIT: This is me playing around in photoshop. It's a badnik concept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    All of them were removed from the US version... :rolleyes:

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

True, but I still believe in the rest of my statement. XD

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey now, don't be mean.
    Its purely speculation inspired by the strange aspects of sonic CD.

19. Shade

Shade

Agreed on all points.

20. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    You know, I bet R2 is nothing, and here's why:

In Sonic 1, Labyrinth was originally going to be the second zone, but was moved to be fourth for, if I recall correctly, difficulty reasons. In the Revision 0 level select it remains in that place, and in all versions the zone occupies the second level slot internally.

In Sonic 2, which was based on that, they seem to have worked on making a stable level system by converting Green Hill into the same art format, while working on Emerald Hill and Hill Top at the same time, which in the early Sonic 2 protos, sometime after Nick Arcade but before Wai, appear to have both occupied what was Sonic 1's Star Light slot. I base this opinion on the fact that in the Nick Arcade proto, Emerald Hill is in slot 03 (Star Light) and Hill Top is in slot 05 (Spring Yard), but by the Wai proto, Hill Top is in what was the second half of the previously Star Light slot, now slot 07. Slot 06 eventually became Wing Fortress in Beta 4 at the latest, since it's not present in the Wai proto, where slot 06, which would have been Emerald Hill, is empty.

In Sonic CD, which presumably was based on Sonic 1 as well, I believe they worked from the initial slots as well. Slot 00 (R1) Green Hill became Palmtree Panic, Slot 01 (R2) Labyrinth became Tidal Tempest, slot 02 (R3) became Collision Chaos. Sometime before the earliest proto of Sonic CD we have, the 510 proto (which only has the first 3 zones playable), I believe they decided to rectify the ordering, and Tidal Tempest became R4, and R2 was left empty.

Edit: Oh this is concept already on the wiki. :<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.